Single Reissues Campaign - Causing a Commotion - OUT NOW

New_Boy

2 minutes ago, Prayer said:

That "Lucky Star" start effect is also present on the "Celebration" version and is HEAVENLY.

Yep, "TIC" was really ahead of its time, and looking back it was absolutely revolutionary to present her hits in a brand new way instead of using the single edits or even the album versions, which is what literally any other artist would have done. That was a greatest hits compilation, not a remixes album. Yet she managed to do both at the same time. It really showed she was interested in the future and not so much in the past.

And it's easy to laugh at Q-Sound now but in 1990? So ahead of its time, especially with Dolby Atmos now, yes.

LS on Celebration seems to be a different Q-sound mix as the twinkling sound simple goes from left to right. LS on IC goes in circles and the bass is deeper and tighter.

3 minutes ago, Roy said:

@Prayer @Aiwa08 I just realized... WTG sounded louder than the soundtrack album version...

The one on the new digital single is simply the 2009 "Celebration" master, just like the used the "Celebration" version of "Borderline" for the "Borderline" digital single (tagging it as 7'' Mix incorrectly).

35 minutes ago, Would You Like To Try said:

Spain? Spain is beautiful! 

Aside, I can't imagine that era for you all, at least I bet you have some of the Spain promo singles like Holiday, Pray For Spanish Eyes 

Well, I'm in the middle of Spain, and it's 40º C (104º F). Not so beautiful right now... I'm melting. My PC is overheating and shutting down... I want a cool place like the North Pole!  :laughing:

Yes, but I was lucky enough that my ex-boyfriend worked as a DJ at a radio station and let me take old singles. However, someone got ahead of me and took many Madonna singles before I had the chance, so I have very few rare Spanish promos. The poor radio station (a local one from Los 40 Principales) doesn't have any Madonna singles prior to 1994.

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

The one on the new digital single is simply the 2009 "Celebration" master, just like the used the "Celebration" version of "Borderline" for the "Borderline" digital single (tagging it as 7'' Mix incorrectly).

So it is a new transfer?

I went through the waveform and it is compressed, similar to the Celebration version.

v7xIxkY.png

5 minutes ago, Roy said:

So it is a new transfer?

I went through the waveform and it is compressed, similar to the Celebration version.

v7xIxkY.png

It's not a new transfer, it's simply the master file they had already for "Who's That Girl" on "Celebration". The 2009 master, I mean, not the original.

And yes, they've boosted track 2 and 3 for the digital single release, for some reason they've done that randomly on most of the pre-1989 singles. Then "Angel" were the originals.

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

Celebration should have been the definitive edition. I still don't understand such blunders (well, yes, that Madonna was leaving Warner and they didn’t care about her).

If they arranged the damn compilation in chronological order and did the IC method and added the new songs at the very last, it would have been cunt but NOPE.

Just now, Prayer said:

It's not a new transfer, it's simply the master file they had already for "Who's That Girl" on "Celebration". The 2009 master, I mean, not the original.

And yes, they've boosted track 2 and 3 for the digital single release, for some reason they've done that randomly on most of the pre-1989 singles. Then "Angel" were the originals.

So it is a "remaster" that they were using... got it. Eugh...

They did boost the others but they sound good. I was surprised that we get the original ITG without the boosts like in the Celebration album.

8 hours ago, Roy said:

LS on Celebration seems to be a different Q-sound mix as the twinkling sound simple goes from left to right. LS on IC goes in circles and the bass is deeper and tighter.

Lucky Star on Celebration is a unique version, different to the Immaculate Collection version in many ways. Different editing on the intro, different mix arrangement, and different outro. TIC has "You may be my lucky star... what you do to me baby" as a faded outro whereas Celebration version has "Star light, star bright, baby" ad lib outro.

1 hour ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

Lucky Star on Celebration is a unique version, different to the Immaculate Collection version in many ways. Different editing on the intro, different mix arrangement, and different outro. TIC has "You may be my lucky star... what you do to me baby" as a faded outro whereas Celebration version has "Star light, star bright, baby" ad lib outro.

It's a much better version IMO. The original "TIC" version edit is a little bit clunky, while the alternative Q-Sound mix on "Celebration" is perfect and closer to the original single edit.

49 minutes ago, steady75 said:

I’d honestly say that all the immaculate collection versions are the definite versions now apart from 

Holiday

Into The Groove

Like A Prayer

Weird. For decades all i heard on the radio were all TIC versions but the past few years radio stations here all of a sudden started playing Borderline alot and its not the album version or QSound version. Everything here is still TIC.

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Weird. For decades all i heard on the radio were all TIC versions but the past few years radio stations here all of a sudden started playing Borderline alot and its not the album version or QSound version. Everything here is still TIC.

There was a time where a Philippine radio station played the 12" remix version of Borderline but stopped at the instrumental breakdown. 🥲

4 hours ago, Roy said:

There was a time where a Philippine radio station played the 12" remix version of Borderline but stopped at the instrumental breakdown. 🥲

What's weirder is that different stations here used to play a LAP that just had to be a fan edit because it would end weird like with the churchapella or something and it was several stations here. 

7 hours ago, MikeyK said:

I’d say Material Girl album version is still king. Probably Like A Virgin too. And I’d put Holiday in the TIC definitive category. Idk if anyone besides her fans plays the long, plain old album version.

I agree with IC Holiday as a definitive, but I prefer that cold ending to Material Girl.  I'd always prefer the original Into the Groove and Like A Prayer though. I could do the whole track listing on if i prefer the single version over the IC versions though ha ha. 

I remember getting the cassette on the day it came out and was so excited at remixes. I take them all on their own merit these days and it's nice to have all the versions to make our choices on favourites. Apple (or insert choice of platform) Playlists are a marvel, back in the day it was a mix tape with all the record hissing in between each track. 

@Prayer @norisk_noglory @PaperFaces I beg your pardon for any inconvenience, I truly apologize. You can download again the two Express Yourself videos. I accidentally uploaded a horribly AI-upscaled video, but I have now replaced it with the VEVO version that was released in 1080p. Again, I'm sorry.

3 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

@Prayer @norisk_noglory @PaperFaces I beg your pardon for any inconvenience, I truly apologize. You can download again the two Express Yourself videos. I accidentally uploaded a horribly AI-upscaled video, but I have now replaced it with the VEVO version that was released in 1080p. Again, I'm sorry.

Thanks for the work!

Actually it fits better with the album version? Which makes total sense, since it's the version they filmed it for originally.

The frames, the movements, everything.

This is why I’m so glad I have all her maxi CDs and promos CDs - you can scoff at me and call me sad for keeping a “ obsolete “ format even though you lot prefer vinyl over cd but judging by these digital releases they are mostly crap bombastic masters - maybe it’s time her team went back to the original files but then some would moan they aren’t loud enough 🙄

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Causing a Commotion - OUT NOW