Steve Blame interviews Niki Haris & Donna De Lory (2023)

Starchild

They're iconic and always will be but all the moves in the last few years are too much yes... the "Rain" cover, the tour on their own following the steps and cities of Madonna's own tour, the endless interviews talking about her... you can see why Madonna will never get them back at this point.

Of course they can both do whatever they want/wish but it's a shame. A one-off thing like José Xtravaganza on Pride last year would be great.

On 12/18/2023 at 10:00 PM, Prayer said:

They're iconic and always will be but all the moves in the last few years are too much yes... the "Rain" cover, the tour on their own following the steps and cities of Madonna's own tour, the endless interviews talking about her... you can see why Madonna will never get them back at this point.

I also wonder do they get paid for all these interviews they do with Madonna fans? Or they need the promo?

On 12/20/2023 at 2:47 AM, Prayer said:

I don't think they're being paid for those interviews. I guess it's exposure for their own shows.

Yeah, it's strictly a way to promote themselves.  They know their bread is buttered when they speak of Madonna, but it also gives them a chance to share what they are doing now.

32 minutes ago, GregVsMatt said:

I think these interviews along with the many others they have done since the mid 2000s are why we may never see them work with M again

Exactly, while Donna seems more crafty in how she spills the beans, Nikki does not.  I notice in more recent interviews Nikki tries to be more appreciative of her time with Madonna, but there seems to be an element of some shade in some things she shares.

57 minutes ago, GregVsMatt said:

I think these interviews along with the many others they have done since the mid 2000s are why we may never see them work with M again

They are probably doing interviews and talking about the details because they know they won't work with M again... But they're not really saying anything scandalous or sensationalist, they're just anecdotes, I'm sure they've seen and heard things that would spark much more interest :eyes:

And Niki has much more personality and spark, just like her voice is more distinct and her backup vocals are much more prominent. Donna is more vanilla, and she stuck around for so long because her voice blended with Madonna's perfectly. No wonder the backup vocalists were mostly standing in the background once Niki was out of the picture. I mean, Donna was barely visible in the two tours she did without Niki. The the backup singers went from a full girl band setup to basically standing in the corner. And once Donna was out of the picture, Madonna's live sound deteriorated significantly because Donna wasn't there to compensate for M's weak spots.

Sure, Niki sounds like she's a lot and she probably had an attitude with Madonna more often than anyone, but her contribution is unsurpassed.

5 hours ago, androiduser said:

They are probably doing interviews and talking about the details because they know they won't work with M again... But they're not really saying anything scandalous or sensationalist, they're just anecdotes, I'm sure they've seen and heard things that would spark much more interest :eyes:

And Niki has much more personality and spark, just like her voice is more distinct and her backup vocals are much more prominent. Donna is more vanilla, and she stuck around for so long because her voice blended with Madonna's perfectly. No wonder the backup vocalists were mostly standing in the background once Niki was out of the picture. I mean, Donna was barely visible in the two tours she did without Niki. The the backup singers went from a full girl band setup to basically standing in the corner. And once Donna was out of the picture, Madonna's live sound deteriorated significantly because Donna wasn't there to compensate for M's weak spots.

Sure, Niki sounds like she's a lot and she probably had an attitude with Madonna more often than anyone, but her contribution is unsurpassed.

I agree with their contribution and would love for them to appear with M at some point however I just think they have done too many interviews and are in the same space as others from M's past who did interviews etc - eg she may look back fondly but also may not trust them 

10 hours ago, GregVsMatt said:

Sadly yes. I love Donna and she has done some great music of her own and seems like a sweet person. Love her solo voice too.

10 hours ago, McDonna said:

Yeah, it's strictly a way to promote themselves.  They know their bread is buttered when they speak of Madonna, but it also gives them a chance to share what they are doing now.

Exactly, while Donna seems more crafty in how she spills the beans, Nikki does not.  I notice in more recent interviews Nikki tries to be more appreciative of her time with Madonna, but there seems to be an element of some shade in some things she shares.

I haven’t watched this new one or other stuff but the Girlie Show live anniversary that one of those podcasts did Nikki did most of the talking. Then whenever one of the band or other dancers praised Madonna she said nothing.

At the end she made a big announcement that Chris Ciccone had just texted her to say hi to everyone. I don’t know that she’s being deliberately shady but she’s definitely got some thoughts she’s not sharing :laughing:

• 4 weeks later...

I finally watched some of these interviews.

I think in general there's some human nature no pun intended to say what you really think about your managers or what not years later when you are emotionally removed or detached.  

That being said I respect Niki's talents and abilities but her personality is just way too in your face for me.  The three of them worked well but like most work relationships or life in general people outgrew it kind of thing.