A Better MDNA Tracklist and Analysis

MDNA I personally adored in 2012 when it was released it felt like "a moment" it's an enigma of a electropop album ...like genuinely I love it I adore It I get lost in it and yet fans bashing on it, the critics hate on it now, it's not recognised for what it did ....I mean MDNA could've been so many things ...with a focus and aesthetic direction it could've gone a Daft Punk Random access memories route OR gone and idie pop HAIM debut route ....but instead it felt like she was remixing the nature of pop then all the electropop divas of the time ....but without what they did 

I mean Britney did it a year before on Femme Fatale, Robyn's body talk trilogy, Kelis Flesh Tone, Kesha Warrior and Cannibal, Katy Perry, Rihanna, And of course the big one GAGA you know they all authentically pushed different styles sounds looks lyrics performance art etc and yet Madonna shaded them in interviews, came across very done with the I dustry, done with the divorce thing, done with media scrutiny etc ...and yet MDNA is the most meta analysis of the nature of pop music then ....it's capid, energetic, processed, magnified, emotive, carnage chaos ...it's a electropop euphoria of pure cathartic rage that I can't help but love ....it was the biggest pop album in 2012 literally ....not until Taylor Swift RED at end of the year did anyone challenge that 2012 people thought the world was gonna end ....she made sure we went with a bang 

2d48c5230d0593ffd858c6d1e3aa0ff4.jpg

It's weird how much Madonna's recording career mirrors David Bowie's in terms of reception and quality. Especially since the 00 :

Music : Heroes

American Life : Lodger

Confessions : Scary Monsters

Hard Candy : Let's Dance

MDNA : Tonight

Rebel Heart : Never Let Me Down

Madame X : a mix between Black Tie/White Noise and 1. Outside.

This anecdote from the recording of Gang Bang told by Orbit in the New Statesman in november 22

It was summer 2011 in New York and Madonna and William Orbit were hard at work on a song called “Gang Bang”. The studio near Times Square was tucked away behind a soup kitchen. As evening drew in Madonna announced that she had been advised to see a sunset, because she was taking a flight the next day. Orbit understood this to be an instruction from one of her many gurus. The ladders to the studio roof were rusty and vertical: as her small feet scaled them, he became convinced she was going to slip and die on his watch. They could not see the sun through the water tanks of the Manhattan skyline, so they climbed down and headed east instead. Madonna tarried near the theatres of Broadway, hiding behind tourists with her hood up, and singing show-tunes.

They saw the sunset from a traffic island in the middle of Fifth Avenue, but when they returned to the studio Orbit discovered the trip had been a ruse. In his absence, an engineer had got into “Gang Bang” and changed his beats. “Musicians have this skilful, passive-aggressive way of asserting themselves,” he says. “All you had to do, Madonna, was ask me. You know, sometimes, there are looks you never forget? I still remember the look of triumph on her face.” The dynamic between megastars and superproducers is mysterious, but it is surprising to hear that Madonna would go to such lengths to avoid her own getting into a strop.

From Mojo in 2019 :

How do you know it’s time to make an album? Is it like a spider sense? Or are there suddenly a load of ideas, and you have to use them or lose them?

Sometimes that happens. But it has definitely not happened in the last… three records. Honestly, the last couple of albums, I’ve made them reluctantly. Both times I was trying to do something else – to get a film made. That happened on this record too. I moved to Lisbon because I wanted my son [David Banda] to be able to attend a soccer academy, and I was trying to raise money for a film, and then I got bored waiting and then I ended up making a record. So it just kind of happened. It wasn’t like a… burning thing that I had. But then other times, I did have lots of ideas stirring inside of me and I did have a burning desire.

So which were the albums that just had to be made?

Ray Of Light. That would be one. Like A Prayer. But my life was simpler then. Like A Prayer – 

But is there an extra focus that comes with the time restraints?

Well, because time is so limited and precious, you do have to be laser-focused and not waste any time. Because you’re juggling, you know? Taking care of six children, and they live in three different countries, and you’re doing other jobs and taking care of other people. And I do have other areas of interest, and film-making is one of them. And I’ve been working for years on a screenplay and I have another script that I’m supposed to direct. With this album, at first I was just playing around and experimenting, and then I was officially Making A Record. And when that happened, I did have to become very focused.

So even Madame X was not made with an urge to make an album. I hope she gets that urge and fire back for the next one.

I go back to tracks from this album more than anything on the official version of Rebel Heart or Madame X. Gang Bang, Love Spent, I'm Addicted are top tier M of the last 20 years.

Worst single choices ever though. I still can't believe she looked at those lyrics for GGW and didn't jump out a window. I say this as someone who loves her other Benassi collabs. Focusing on W.E. (more like Zzzzzzzz.....)  and the Superbowl (which begins and ends with "Vogue" for me), made it the least enjoyable rollout for an M album for me. A LOT happened in pop music in the years between HC and MDNA. I was thrilled she was back, but wanted something a little more....something....

I wonder if she was full on/ ass out/ Slung Up On Tokisha-esque M in 2012 how that era would have gone down.

12 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

I think this album killed her reputation as a recording artist. Hard Candy was uneven but even though she was accused of chasing trends it turned out it was the sound that Robin Thicke and Daft Punk used a few years later. 

It's not that i don't like MDNA only but i absolutely dislike the music from that era as well when they cheapened dance music by rebranding it edm for douchebags and Jersey shores fans. Even the track she bought from Robyn's producer is pure trash, probably the worst on an album full of worst, whenever i hear Some Girls i feel like i'm at a fairground in south jersey. Orbit now says he regrets joining that school of writers shit. Love Spent is great but deconstructed totally....but the vocals, her voice never sounded so thin until Living For Love. Thx Demacio for his shitty recording.  I mean LMFAO, gangnam style...she was using Rocco as a reference or what ? (She did work with Timbaland because of him)

Really the worst era, the ill advised cover of BTW, the silly Secret Project.

The only thing i liked from that era was WE (she should have picked someone else than Abbie Cornish, i've been told she wanted Gwyneth and her turning down the project after M put it on hold to match her schedule is the real reason their friendship ended) the mdna tour, especially lav/ls, and the cover of Behind the bars at the Deitch gallery plus the pics. 

Agree especially about the cheapening of dance music at the time and that cheap lowest common denominator sound is all over this record 

Think William Orbit said about how bad Demacio recorded/mixed the vocals and album and was out of his hands  

On 3/5/2024 at 3:11 AM, mr00mister said:

ok but I just remembered, when MDNA was announced, it had a completely different tracklist!

there was a mail sent to fans, with the attached picture, the announcement and the first tracklist. that was changed later, before release.

1. Girls Gone Wild
  2. Gang Bang
  3. I'm Addicted
  4. Some Girls
  5. I Don't Give A
  6. Turn Up the Radio
  7. Give Me All Your Luvin'
  8. B-day Song
  9. Superstar
  10. I'm a Sinner
  11. Masterpiece
  12. Falling Free
  13. Love Spent
  14. I Fucked Up
  15. Beautiful Killer

360013741_10231897242272984_8817029556447873329_n.jpg

The 12 track album was the right answer. Beautiful Killer and Best Friend are fantastic though so I'm glad they were released.

01 Girl Gone Wild

02 Gang Bang

03 I'm Addicted

04 B-Day Song

05 Some Girls

06 I Don't Give A

07 I'm A Sinner

08 Love Spent

09 Masterpiece

10 Beautiful Killer

11 Best Friend

12 Falling Free

Bonus for Deluxe:

13 Turn Up The Radio

14 I Fucked Up

15 Love Spent (Acoustic Version)

I really enjoy B-Day song. It is better than GMAYL and Superstar. 

On 3/5/2024 at 7:07 AM, Roland Barthes said:

It's weird how much Madonna's recording career mirrors David Bowie's in terms of reception and quality. Especially since the 00 :

Music : Heroes

Madame X : a mix between Black Tie/White Noise and 1. Outside.

This anecdote from the recording of Gang Bang told by Orbit in the New Statesman in november 22

It was summer 2011 in New York and Madonna and William Orbit were hard at work on a song called “Gang Bang”. The studio near Times Square was tucked away behind a soup kitchen. As evening drew in Madonna announced that she had been advised to see a sunset, because she was taking a flight the next day. Orbit understood this to be an instruction from one of her many gurus. The ladders to the studio roof were rusty and vertical: as her small feet scaled them, he became convinced she was going to slip and die on his watch. They could not see the sun through the water tanks of the Manhattan skyline, so they climbed down and headed east instead. Madonna tarried near the theatres of Broadway, hiding behind tourists with her hood up, and singing show-tunes.

They saw the sunset from a traffic island in the middle of Fifth Avenue, but when they returned to the studio Orbit discovered the trip had been a ruse. In his absence, an engineer had got into “Gang Bang” and changed his beats. “Musicians have this skilful, passive-aggressive way of asserting themselves,” he says. “All you had to do, Madonna, was ask me. You know, sometimes, there are looks you never forget? I still remember the look of triumph on her face.” The dynamic between megastars and superproducers is mysterious, but it is surprising to hear that Madonna would go to such lengths to avoid her own getting into a strop.

From Mojo in 2019 :

How do you know it’s time to make an album? Is it like a spider sense? Or are there suddenly a load of ideas, and you have to use them or lose them?

Sometimes that happens. But it has definitely not happened in the last… three records. Honestly, the last couple of albums, I’ve made them reluctantly. Both times I was trying to do something else – to get a film made. That happened on this record too. I moved to Lisbon because I wanted my son [David Banda] to be able to attend a soccer academy, and I was trying to raise money for a film, and then I got bored waiting and then I ended up making a record. So it just kind of happened. It wasn’t like a… burning thing that I had. But then other times, I did have lots of ideas stirring inside of me and I did have a burning desire.

So which were the albums that just had to be made?

Ray Of Light. That would be one. Like A Prayer. But my life was simpler then. Like A Prayer – 

But is there an extra focus that comes with the time restraints?

Well, because time is so limited and precious, you do have to be laser-focused and not waste any time. Because you’re juggling, you know? Taking care of six children, and they live in three different countries, and you’re doing other jobs and taking care of other people. And I do have other areas of interest, and film-making is one of them. And I’ve been working for years on a screenplay and I have another script that I’m supposed to direct. With this album, at first I was just playing around and experimenting, and then I was officially Making A Record. And when that happened, I did have to become very focused.

So even Madame X was not made with an urge to make an album. I hope she gets that urge and fire back for the next one.

Thank you @Roland Barthesfor this so fascinating to hear the insights here AND agreed her heart and soul in so many directions the past 16 or so years has meant everything been all over the place for each era recently sadly I think that's why 

And interesting Bowie parallels I see that for sure! I thought it's almost mirroring his career she's in the 00s part of his career equivalent by this point I dare say for sure 

On 3/5/2024 at 4:07 AM, Roland Barthes said:

Music : "Heroes"

Madame X : a mix between Black Tie White Noise and 1. Outside.

i wasn't really seeing this until i read it again and damn, it makes sense! so now all these non-album singles are her Earthling era? will the next album be her 'hours...' sound?

I think why fans get so obsessed with MDNA is because we truly wanted Madonna to be full force she gave all the talk promoting WE we had huge albums by Adele, Gaga, Katy Perry, Rihanna, abeyance, abritney, Kylie, Robyn, Kelis, Kesha, Miley etc etc and we had the following year huge albums by then all too yes MDNA despite a huge first week sales dropped off ... And didn't hit the same mark as expected 

As fans I feel we get attached that for the first time she didn't hit the cultural spot the way she did with previous eras so much sadly ....we do try of course but still it's interesting 

5 minutes ago, mr00mister said:

i wasn't really seeing this until i read it again and damn, it makes sense! so now all these non-album singles are her Earthling era? will the next album be her 'hours...' sound?

Interesting , it guts me they didn't collaborate in the 80s and 90s really ....they met a couple times but imagine...it would've been better than Bowie jagger dancing in the street I'm sure 

But imagine that !! 

6 hours ago, ChromaticanMondasia said:

Interesting , it guts me they didn't collaborate in the 80s and 90s really ....they met a couple times but imagine...it would've been better than Bowie jagger dancing in the street I'm sure 

But imagine that !! 

he was super selective with his collaborations, particularly in his late years. he turned coldplay down by email ("it isn't really a good song, is it?"). 

now question is, is M willing to explore that darkness of 'hours...', Heathen and The Next Day without thinking too much about the charts? MDNA was supposed to be a dark album but she worried about the audience and that's when the whole project shiftshaped into not so good. Never Let Me Down is the perfect example of what happens when you put other's expectations before your own, they had to later redo the entire thing 30 years later cause indeed let people down!

1 hour ago, mr00mister said:

he was super selective with his collaborations, particularly in his late years. he turned coldplay down by email ("it isn't really a good song, is it?"). 

now question is, is M willing to explore that darkness of 'hours...', Heathen and The Next Day without thinking too much about the charts? MDNA was supposed to be a dark album but she worried about the audience and that's when the whole project shiftshaped into not so good. Never Let Me Down is the perfect example of what happens when you put other's expectations before your own, they had to later redo the entire thing 30 years later cause indeed let people down!

To be fair the route rebel heart went I feel should've been for Mdna or some of the songs at least I feel she had four albums of content that era then which could've been out on hard candy , Mdna and rebel heart too 

1 hour ago, ChromaticanMondasia said:

To be fair the route rebel heart went I feel should've been for Mdna or some of the songs at least I feel she had four albums of content that era then which could've been out on hard candy , Mdna and rebel heart too 

Its funny because I think the songs on Rebel Heart are stronger in some ways, but MDNA feels like a more traditional M album and it still really close to me.