Unreleased Music Videos

2 hours ago, Donna said:

Here's another that many thought was supppsed to be the original video too..

Very interesting. Solid Gold is well known but to me feels more like a promo performance. The one I posted earlier has a pretty nice production and some "extras" besides her, Christopher and the other dancer... Fantástico is a big TV show in Brazil and they used to produce some kind of "music videos" weekly in the 80s for some artists... I think that's the case with Holiday in that French TV show.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it’s it’s funny, I never realised Holiday had no offical music video until I was much older and could research such things on the internet. I always through the ‘official’ video was the one above filmed for Countdown because that was what was played all the time on Australia TV (which makes sense as Countdown was an Australian show). 

18 minutes ago, Gui said:

Very interesting. Solid Gold is well known but to me feels more like a promo performance. The one I posted earlier has a pretty nice production and some "extras" besides her, Christopher and the other dancer... Fantástico is a big TV show in Brazil and they used to produce some kind of "music videos" weekly in the 80s for some artists... I think that's the case with Holiday in that French TV show.

For me, they all feel like Promotional performances, rather music videos.  Unfortunately, Warner didn't have enough faith in Madonna at the the time.  Still, she worked her ass off promoting the album.  The way it should be.  Radio proved to be the savior for Holiday.  I think that helped Warner realize she had great potential, but it always came down to Madonna in lighting the fire.  It wasn't until she made her appearance on MTV's first Award show that she really grabbed everyone's attention.

23 minutes ago, Donna said:

For me, they all feel like Promotional performances, rather music videos.  Unfortunately, Warner didn't have enough faith in Madonna at the the time.  Still, she worked her ass off promoting the album.  The way it should be.  Radio proved to be the savior for Holiday.  I think that helped Warner realize she had great potential, but it always came down to Madonna in lighting the fire.  It wasn't until she made her appearance on MTV's first Award show that she really grabbed everyone's attention.

That's not the reason - Warners and M chose to do a video for Burning Up instead, specifically for MTV who were playing rock videos - even though Burning Up was released 6 months earlier and Holiday was the new single - Burning Up went to MTV in September 1983 while the Solid Gold /TOTP performances of Holiday were used for promo - also Borderline and Lucky Star were in high rotation at MTV 

F7EOaoAb0AA6fvj.jpg

53 minutes ago, Veronica-Electronica said:

it’s it’s funny, I never realised Holiday had no offical music video until I was much older and could research such things on the internet. I always through the ‘official’ video was the one above filmed for Countdown because that was what was played all the time on Australia TV (which makes sense as Countdown was an Australian show). 

It was actually from Top of the Pops

23 minutes ago, GregVsMatt said:

That's not the reason - Warners and M chose to do a video for Burning Up instead, specifically for MTV who were playing rock videos - even though Burning Up was released 6 months earlier and Holiday was the new single - Burning Up went to MTV in September 1983 while the Solid Gold /TOTP performances of Holiday were used for promo - also Borderline and Lucky Star were in high rotation at MTV 

F7EOaoAb0AA6fvj.jpg

Warners still wasn't as invested at the time.  Radio latched onto Holiday at the time.  By that time, Warner wasn't ready to spend any more money which is what I was pointing out. 

I feel her first album was just more of a crapshoot.  She and her team were looking to see whatever stuck.  Holiday worked, but the money was already spent on a lot of promotional performances and the Burning Up video.  Radio really started to be her savior. 

22 hours ago, Gui said:

I think this is the closest thing we have of a music video for Holiday:

<3

i dont know which part is my favourite:

- the MADONNA title in yellow with little stars inside

- the nazi woman randomly chilling by the car

- the literal bum with the "maitre nageur" sign

- the man pretending to be a 1920's kid

besides that she looked BEAUTIFUL

1 hour ago, Diieeego said:

download.gif.57d1fa128a7de7b07988ac1144eba77d.gif

Pure 80s ART

16 hours ago, Diieeego said:

My favorite is the scene with the hot tennis lesbians checking out Madonna.

I still can't get over the fact there's a first french tv appearance of M performing "Holiday" recorded in Paris in an empty swimming pool that aired on TF1 (First french channel) and to this day no one had recorded it and posted it online... Not even a small clip.