Pre-Album Regrets

So was trying to think of an idea for a thread and this is only pertaining to an album which you were around and took notice of the makings of it, the producers, the genre, etc. up until the final release. You thought this is going to be a stinker and now it's one of your favorite albums, which would it be?

I thought RH might be a bit half hearted like MDNA and HC but I was still rooting for it obvie. It turned out MUCH better than I thought and I was impressed, still it let me down a bit considering the potential it actually had. Its kinda weird. Its both being proud and a bit disappointed for different reasons. But at the end of the day it showed me her creativity is on point when she puts in the work  :thinker:

I've just been actively around for the makings of 2 albums, but I was SORT OF around for HC and Confessions. :lol:  I don't find it unrealistic that she'll find her way into early 2000s greatness again tho. RH could've been there if she had worked on less songs at once and some outside factors hadn't derailed its narrative a bit. :sad:  

I think the biggest problem with RH was a bit like Bedtime Stories ? Too many producers and difficult to then mould all the songs into one cohesive album ? I think the songwritting was defo there and she did take her time with this one(Unlike the rushed effort of MDNA) its just once again she tried to make r'n'b which i hate anyway(Kanye West ruined all the tracks he worked on) and again lots of people had already worked with Diplo so by the time the album came out his sound - well sounded kind of dated ? For the next album she needs to work with one producer i think and really find that unique producer that no one has used yet - but after the RH disappointment i wonder if she even has the passion to make another album ? i think most fans agree that the demos were better than the released version but i guess because of the leaks she had to kind of change them quite a lot so i feel bad for her in that sense - i wonder what Shep Pettibone is up to these days ???......

There's NO PROBLEM with RH, it's her best album since Confessions. It's really a "return to form".

The leaks COMPLETELY hurt the albums commercial potential, instead of being at 1.2 million worldwide sales (which is still more than Mariah and Janet last albums COMBINED) RH would of easily equaled if not beat the 2 million sales of MDNA if it didn't leak in full 5 months prior.

Amazingly RH would of finished as like the #5 top selling album of the year worldwide with those numbers

Album sales are DREADFUL

I think the biggest problem with RH was a bit like Bedtime Stories ? Too many producers and difficult to then mould all the songs into one cohesive album ? I think the songwritting was defo there and she did take her time with this one(Unlike the rushed effort of MDNA) its just once again she tried to make r'n'b which i hate anyway(Kanye West ruined all the tracks he worked on) and again lots of people had already worked with Diplo so by the time the album came out his sound - well sounded kind of dated ? For the next album she needs to work with one producer i think and really find that unique producer that no one has used yet - but after the RH disappointment i wonder if she even has the passion to make another album ? i think most fans agree that the demos were better than the released version but i guess because of the leaks she had to kind of change them quite a lot so i feel bad for her in that sense - i wonder what Shep Pettibone is up to these days ???......

Kanye West reworked the tracks WAY before anything leaked. The main reason why she changed direction was because Avicii got severely sick in mid-2014 and she was forced to find other producers to complete her project. (Yes she did mention changing some of the tracks based on fans' reactions on the leaks but she also completely changed Avicii Heart which was her most universally praised record in years so...)

RH will forever be a work could have been, because there is a good possibility a good portion of these songs are incomplete in someways. Because yeah the leaks, we know one point wanted a double album, wanted LFL to come out around Valentines and instead self produced/finished the 5 pre-tracks herself and than put this together so know it's an album that wanted to be better. The track-listing alone is weird and than the deluxe and than the bonus EP and for some Auto-tune Baby but also what became of Queen. As much as I think Messiah is loved here (hate it) wouldn't people want Queen over that snooze?

My album is HC because it was the first time she was using established producers and it was odd but seeing as I was obsessed with FutureSex/LoveSounds in the past I had faith. What at first seemed like this knock off Timberlake ballads and beats turned out to be way more Madonna's stamp than I expected. But I think Pharrell (Spanish aside) could really write for Madonna. She's Not Me, Give It 2 Me, The Beat Goes On and even Candy Shop even are just so Madonna. She can pickem' but like Patrick says she changes melody and makes things he never expected. Also as far as tacking the genre Hard Candy >>>>>>> Bedtime Stories.

I also want to add Music, I didn't fear the worst but I remember getting the single and taking it on this road trip. And I had heard some of the rest of the record; my friend was like oh this going to be way more dance than ROL (no this is like country and acoustic) and just had no idea what to expect in full. But yeah it was not a bad thing.

Probably Bedtime Stories. Loved Erotica so much that I followed as much as I could about the making of BS. I was a member of ICON and she talked about it in her letter in the magazine which got me hyped. When Secret came out I was really happy and felt it was going to be a killer album, but was so disappointed when I got the album, I tried listening to it a few times and just found myself underwhelmed. Now, however, I love it. It has issues and I still wish she had kept Tupac on I'd Rather Be Your Lover, his rap just elevates that song, but I can listen to that album straight through and enjoy it. Especially Sanctuary. 

I find it bizarre the praise for HC ? I think this and Bedtime Stories are her worst albums mainly because she was latching onto a sound that had already been used before so it just felt like she was trying to be current when really she is better than that ? I do admit that HC does have more catchy songs -Dance 2nite, Miles Away and i do love Devil but the rest is just awful - candy shop and the lowest point - Incredible :(( Man that was a stinker of a track ? Bedtime stories has far fewer catchy songs but at least it has one favourite track - Bedtime Story which i love the production of ? I know everyone has their opinions of their favourite albums which is what makes her such a great artist - for every song someone hates there will be another fan that loves it :)) for instance i hate Hung Up but i know there is a lot of love for that song :) Peace out :) xx

I find it bizarre the praise for HC ? I think this and Bedtime Stories are her worst albums mainly because she was latching onto a sound that had already been used before so it just felt like she was trying to be current when really she is better than that ? I do admit that HC does have more catchy songs -Dance 2nite, Miles Away and i do love Devil but the rest is just awful - candy shop and the lowest point - Incredible :(( Man that was a stinker of a track ? Bedtime stories has far fewer catchy songs but at least it has one favourite track - Bedtime Story which i love the production of ? I know everyone has their opinions of their favourite albums which is what makes her such a great artist - for every song someone hates there will be another fan that loves it :)) for instance i hate Hung Up but i know there is a lot of love for that song :) Peace out :) xx

For me she only dabbled in the genre and didn't take it anywhere. 5 of the songs on BS are so dull it drags the rest of the album down. The more upbeat songs (Secret and Human Nature aside) don't have great hooks or production to be that upbeat (Survival and Don't Stop). It took no risk and yeah she was coming of Erotica; this is was overkill. Plus she took Tupac off his track and I gotta say even though it wouldn't have changed the record, the respect and credibility would be way higher. Also when it comes to Incredible it's a strange song, how does one end up with it - ultimately it's so weird it's good for me. Spanish Lesson on the other hand is so bad and offensive to Spain.  :laughing:

Bedtime Stories. I hated the idea of who she was working with pre-release, and only focused on the Nelly Hopper stuff because it was the most underground, and being a fan at that time meant wanting her to be a powerhouse while existing purely for innovation. European and American music was very different at that time and I hated American 90's r n' b. That said, I believe it is now one of her most contemporary-sounding albums, and it has a raw honesty to it that is unique to her catalog. 

Leaks ruined it. Period.

Also I don't see the point in making an album with 25 songs and to promote it with only 3 singles...

Less is more...that album could be great if only half of it was released.

True blue had only 9 songs, and how many singles, how many videos? 5!!!  MORE THAN A HALF

Bedtime Stories. I hated the idea of who she was working with pre-release, and only focused on the Nelly Hopper stuff because it was the most underground, and being a fan at that time meant wanting her to be a powerhouse while existing purely for innovation. European and American music was very different at that time and I hated American 90's r n' b. That said, I believe it is now one of her most contemporary-sounding albums, and it has a raw honesty to it that is unique to her catalog. 

I'm the opposite but I love your reasons.  :kiss:

Also I don't see the point in making an album with 25 songs and to promote it with only 3 singles...

True blue had only 9 songs, and how many singles, how many videos? 5!!!  MORE THAN A HALF

true, I would have released Rebel Heart and maybe Unapologetic Bitch  :thinker:  :thinker: the album had at least one more single  :sad:

Unapologetic Bitch should have been a single! instead of the other bitch. Didn't think it would have a chance unless Bitch Better Have My Money got played. And man it's my jam!!  :jamming:

both bitches deserved single treatment.  :tongue:  :tongue:  :tongue: but i guess 2 bitch songs would've been overkill... but still unapologetic bitch is an iconic hashtag  :) they could've added a ft for the single release to give it a little more also.  :thinker: but no one does single versions anymore  :sad:

both bitches deserved single treatment.  :tongue:  :tongue:  :tongue: but i guess 2 bitch songs would've been overkill... but still unapologetic bitch is an iconic hashtag  :) they could've added a ft for the single release to give it a little more also.  :thinker: but no one does single versions anymore  :sad:

NOOOO ok so when I switched music streaming sites they only had the censored version of RH. I didn't know and who buys these? always wondered. Also I remember Work Bitch by Brit was Work Work and the Kidz Bop version was Work Chick.  :laughing:

I'm the opposite but I love your reasons.  :kiss:

Crazy how many of us have loved being entertained by this glorious creature for so long, and yet we all have such different opinions and experiences! The first and only true global superstar! 

I read the comments regarding Hard Candy too. It's weird. I think because I received Hard Candy and Bedtime Stories with such a lack of enthusiasm due to the RnB mainstream influences, I feel they are real creepers for me, and I now appreciate them both as being very much an integral part of her discography. As my friend pointed out to me, I was too young to understand the context of Madonna's self-titled first album musically when it first came out, but if I had been more mature, I'd have thought the same thing about that one too. I was seven, but loved the songs. Just goes to show it's all about context and timing in my opinion. A classic becomes a classic as a result of the memories it accompanies and the place it occupied both personally and culturally. At present, I feel MDNA is the weakest album in her entire catalog. 

Well I've learned with fandom that once you say not feeling something on a forum - there's like five people who are like no that's not right. But it's different strokes for different folks I mean if we're like in a room together and we have say rebel heart on I'm totally going to jam out to holy water but I guess if I have to jam out to rebel heart with you at least it's fair. Also I've noticed since being here that unlike the Tori Amos forum though the enjoyment of stuff is all over, it's just shows how diverse she is really. There is someone on here who put I'm going bananas as their favorite song from breathless - that's fucking amazing LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I've learned with fandom that once you say not feeling something on a forum - there's like five people who are like no that's not right. But it's different strokes for different folks I mean if we're like in a room together and we have say rebel heart on I'm totally going to jam out to holy water but I guess if I have to jam out to rebel heart with you at least it's fair. Also I've noticed since being here that unlike the Tori Amos forum though the enjoyment of stuff is all over, it's just shows how diverse she is really. There is someone on here who put I'm going bananas as their favorite song from breathless - that's fucking amazing LOL.

Ha! Well if you jam like Carmen Miranda and it gets you in the right place, I can see how I'm Going Bananas might be an anthem! Rebel Heart is a tough one. There are so many songs. I've remade that album a thousand times. Maybe it was the ultimate album format after all with the leaks. DIY album sequencing gone mad! 

Songs From The Choirgirl Hotel. Best Tori. Unfortunately, for years now she has been nothing but a torn anus to me. 

Actually she had a little rough patch but in the live area but that's where she is just amazing - no matter what the album was the past few years if you saw her live it's magical. And the last tour in 2014 she's had the best vocals since 1990s. And Scarlet walk was the last great album but the last one unrepentant Geraldine's it's really good, Night of hunters had some great work on it and American doll posse is such a blast.

And what happened was is I was on a Madonna forum and people had mentioned spark and raspberry swirl so I got choirgirl which is still my favorite album; has a good chance of being remastered right after the boys for Pele. Now I'm back to the Madonna, also because I see her every two years since 2005 and will go on three now.

Actually she had a little rough patch but in the live area but that's where she is just amazing - no matter what the album was the past few years if you saw her live it's magical. And the last tour in 2014 she's had the best vocals since 1990s. And Scarlet walk was the last great album but the last one unrepentant Geraldine's it's really good, Night of hunters had some great work on it and American doll posse is such a blast.

And what happened was is I was on a Madonna for him and people had mentioned spark and raspberry swirl so I got choirgirl which is still my favorite album; has a good chance of being remastered right after the boys for Pele. Now I'm back to the Madonna, also because I see her every two years since 2005 and will go on three now.

You're right. i'm being harsh. I pretty much agree with you on everything about Torn. Scarlet Walk was def the last great one. I listened to UG. It was alright, but just having that daughter on there. Whether she can sing pleasantly or not, it's just like Superstar. Awful and repellant to her legacy. ;) I'd take a couple of Torn remasters. 

Yeah. back to M and back on topic. I actually hadn't really felt great anticipation for a Madonna album since Confession until RH. I am getting older, and records are released very differently today, and so I always put it down to that. When I was younger the general public's reaction to a Madonna release used to set the tone. Unfortunately you can't rely on that anymore because no one gives a shit. I mean, the pre-LAP hype was palpable. It made me very excited. Patchouli even made me get a boner, which is just grotesque when I think back on it. 

You're right. i'm being harsh. I pretty much agree with you on everything about Torn. Scarlet Walk was def the last great one. I listened to UG. It was alright, but just having that daughter on there. Whether she can sing pleasantly or not, it's just like Superstar. Awful and repellant to her legacy. ;) I'd take a couple of Torn remasters.

Well I just have to say two things first is first two albums little earthquakes and under the pink have been remastered and they sound so good actually under the pink I always thought needed it. And her daughter on the Christmas album was cute, then on night of hunters was like OK this is getting a little business with pleasure and then her duet on the last album which then became the second single with a video was too much. I'm a huge fan of Tori but I don't want to see her try to make that happen anymore please. Unless she now goes and does it herself and I still don't care LOL.

Leaks ruined it. Period.

True blue had only 9 songs, and how many singles, how many videos? 5!!! MORE THAN A HALF

That's because she was a SINGLES ARTIST in the 80s. She could of released a single of her farting and burping and it would have went top 10

With radio no longer playing her new stuff, which is the NORM and to be expected for any over 50 year old artist, why release so many singles?

I'm actually surprised she released 3 to be honest with you.

Cher only released 1 off her last album, Mariah just 2, Streisand only releases 1 or 2 singles an album these days.