Celebrities talk about Madonna

NowRadiate

'I loved her!' Cyndi Lauper credits Madonna for inspiring early music career... as she jokingly calls singer 'my evil cousin'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3859248/Cyndi-Lauper-credits-Madonna-inspiring-early-music-career-jokingly-calls-singer-evil-cousin.html#ixzz4NkrLYYQE 

She's the iconic pop star who rose to stardom in the 1980s, with her mega-hit Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.

And as Cyndi Lauper, 63, continues to build her remarkable legacy, the singer-actress recently credited the likes of Madonna, 58, for inspiring her early singing career.

The Time After Time artist was promoting the hit musical Kinky Boots during an appearance on The Project on Friday and she was asked whether she ever felt threatened by the success of fellow artists when she first started out.

'[Prince's] music has always been a part of my musical landscape, as was Madonna.

She added: 'I got to say, I fool around and say she was my evil cousin but when she did Like A prayer, my Catholic schoolgirl heart was... I loved her! She was a hero, right? She got everyone upset. That was so good. Right?'

Cyndi Lauper calls Madonna her 'evil cousin' on The Project

3995383600000578-3859248-image-a-2_14770
'I got to say, I fool around and say she was my evil cousin but when she did Like A prayer, my Catholic schoolgirl heart was... I loved her! She was a hero,' Cyndi gushed

The high praise comes more than one year after Cyndi revealed that she has previously been mistaken for legendary artist Madonna.

Despite having a much less provocative image than Madonna, fans would often confuse the pair and Cyndi admitted that there were times that she didn't bother correcting them.

'It happens to me once in a while. I just sign Madonna. I don't care and as long as I don't talk I get away with it,' she previously revealed on The Graham Norton Show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

groovyguy

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/7415477/sky-ferreira-response-la-weekly-sexist-article-madonna   Sky Ferreira Responds to Sexist 'L.A. Weekly' Column, Shares Photo With Madonna   Last Friday (June 17), L.A. Weekly ran an online column about critically acclaimed alt-pop artist Sky Ferreira, which was roundly criticized throughout the media world for being sexist. The piece -- which spent an unnerving amount of words describing her breasts and comparing them to Madonna’s -- garner

groovyguy

Flashback:  Here’s what five producers have to say about the overlooked musician Madonna Ciccone:   NILE RODGERS “People don’t give Madonna the real respect and credit that she’s due. She is the single hardest working person I’ve ever worked with, and I’ve worked with literally hundreds of stars. Madonna shows up early, stays late, she’ll do every single task you want her to do and more. She’s the kind of person that you dream about.†(source MTV UK)   STUART PRICE “Sheâ

groovyguy

Madonna and Kevin Costner Make Up https://www.entertainmentwise.com/madonna-and-kevin-costner-make-up/   Kevin Costner has revealed how Madonna apologized for mocking him on film in her 1991 documentary, ?Truth Or Dare?.   The actor admits he was ?embarrassed? and ?hurt? by the scene showing him telling Madge backstage during the Blond Ambition tour that her show was ?neat? only for the singer to shove her finger down her throat and say, “Anybody who says my show is ‘neat’ has to goâ€

Flashback:  Here’s what five producers have to say about the overlooked musician Madonna Ciccone:

NILE RODGERS

“People don’t give Madonna the real respect and credit that she’s dueShe is the single hardest working person I’ve ever worked with, and I’ve worked with literally hundreds of stars. Madonna shows up early, stays late, she’ll do every single task you want her to do and more. She’s the kind of person that you dream about.†(source MTV UK)

STUART PRICE

“She’s the greatest hands-off producer ever. Most people think producers should be pressing the buttons but she doesn’t pretend to do any of that. She sits on the couch and listens to it and tells you when you’re not being very good. When something’s not sounding good she’ll say, ‘That’s rubbish, that’s rubbish and that’s rubbish’ and you’ll be like, ‘I know, I’m not trying to be rubbish!’. In terms of being a songwriter, she has this thing where she can turn the microphone on, open her mouth and one of those melodies comes out and you go ‘Blimey!â€(source THUMP!)

PATRICK LEONARD

“She would help supply lyrics and offer changes in the music to suit her. She’d refine it. You give her a track, she sings the melody. She’s very very talented. One doesn’t exist without the other. She always showed up and she was always completely involved. I miss her, actually.†(source Showbiz411)

WILLIAM ORBIT

“You know, she hasn’t shouted about her musical abilities, but she is the consummate songwriter. She listens to classic musicals a lot. Not just the obvious ones, like Singin’ in the Rain, but the lesser ones. She loves them. I remember one time we all had dinner in Germany, and somebody brought up old musicals, and she was the one who knew all the verses…Really solid, melodic stuff like that. And she writes really solid, melodic stuff like that.†(source Rolling Stone)

DIPLO

“She showed me a whole other level of dedication and old school work ethic when it comes to writing. I’m proud of the work we did.†(source Billboard)

Seymour Stein Reveals the “Embarrasing†Deal He Made with Madonna

https://medium.com/cuepoint/seymour-stein-reveals-the-embarrasing-deal-he-made-with-madonna-b0d739b77ab9#.dhflkwjnq

1*L2TfPXE9LZzzNCgW-ja5PQ.jpeg

Seymour Stein, a bona fide music industry legend, turns 73 this month. Get him talking about music he loves, though, and he’ll match the passion of any young industry whippersnapper pound for pound.

Stein is still every bit as full as admiration for great bands as he was more than half a century ago, when in 1966 he co-founded Sire Records with his friend Richard Gottier. Through Sire, he played a vital role in bringing the likes of Talking Heads, The Ramones, The Cure, Ice-T and Echo & The Bunnymen to mainstream recognition.

1*hihgpobQ8L9LYcV6qeC0Dg.jpeg

And then there was that signing, when Stein fell head over heels for the music and theatricality of Madonna Louise Ciccone — launching the career, in 1982, of a woman who would go on to define music’s pop culture time and time again.

These days Stein plies his A&R trade within the walls of Warner Music Group, and he remains a hero to the ‘next generation’ of independent music executives—those now running labels and publishers around the world.

[PIAS] founder Kenny Gates shared a coffee and a chat with Seymour at SXSW to delve deep into the career history of one of independent music’s true godfathers.

When you signed Madonna, did you think she’d still be making music 30 years later?
I didn’t think about it. What people usually ask me is, Do you think she’d ever be this big? Of course not! I knew she was special.

1*ywaIXmEk7jxq7M5S4davCQ.jpeg

Ms. Ciccone and Mr. Stein

And you met her through Mark Kamins?
Yes, I’d always befriended Mark. He was a DJ who played all sorts of weird music but somehow made it work — he was playing Faro music, mixing it with African music and making it all work. I gave him $18,000 and I told him: ‘This should be enough for you, over a period of a year or longer — don’t rush it — to make six demos.’ Madonna was the third demo he brought me. I listened to it, and I loved it.

Everyone knows this story: I heard it in the hospital, and I got so excited, I made her come to see me. No, that’s not true — even then you couldn’t make Madonna do anything unless she wanted to! She came to the hospital and we agreed on a deal right then and there. I asked her to go to her lawyers so we could draw up the papers.

Please read the full interview at Medium.com

An homage to New York's 'ferociously inventive' 1980s party scene

http://ny.curbed.com/2016/10/11/13241368/new-book-examines-new-yorks-1980s-party-scene

A new book highlights New York artists like Keith Haring, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Madonna and Run-D.M.C.

A new book entitled Life and Death on the New York Dance Floor, 1980-1983 takes a look at what the book calls "a ferociously inventive period characterized by its creativity, intensity, and hybridity." The early ‘80s not only brought new party venues to NYC but also innovations in art, performance, video and film. The book profiles DJs, party hosts, producers, musicians, artists and dancers to talk about these "post-disco, post-punk, and hip hop scenes," that were happening at clubs like the Roxy, the Paradise Garage and the Mudd Club. It also discusses the backdrop of the city at the time: in the midst of the cultural renaissance that exploded before New York’s gentrification, Reaganomics, and the spread of AIDS.

The author, Tim Lawrence, is a professor of cultural studies at the University of East London. The New York Times reviewed the book and noted that its focus is music—Lawrence even includes some DJ playlists in his writings. Artists that he spotlights include Keith Haring, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Fab 5 Freddy, David Wojnarowicz, Deborah Harry and Madonna; as well as the DJs Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambaataa and Run-D.M.C.

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-11%20at%209.26.2

• 3 weeks later...

Anna Kendrick & James Corden cover Madonna, Rihanna, Adele & Bieber in "Soundtrack to Growing Up" http://blbrd.cm/0E7hpT 

1) Salt-N-Pepa - Push It

2) Adele - Hello

3) Stevie Wonder - Isn't She Lovely

4) Madonna - Papa Don't Preach @ 1:03

5) Madonna - Like A Virgin @1:19

6) FUN. - We Are Young

7) Dolly Parton - 9 to 5

8) Rihanna - Bitch Better Have My Money

9) Elton John - Chapel Of Love

10) Salt-N-Pepa - Let's Talk About Sex

11) Justin Bieber - Baby

12) Salt-N-Pepa - Push It 1

13) Elton John - Circle of Life

14) Alicia Keys - Girl on Fire

2011 Flashback"

Dolly Parton Wants Madonna Duet

http://www.contactmusic.com/dolly-parton/news/dolly-parton-wants-madonna-duet_1222080

Dolly Parton wants to duet with Madonna. 

The country legend has always wanted to work with the 'Like a Prayer' singer, and thinks their styles would be a good match. 

She told The Sunday Times newspaper: 'I'd love to do a duet, I always wanted to work with Madonna, but she never asked.' 

She added that either Madonna or Lady Gaga would be: 'The perfect fit. Im as outrageous as they are. I was gaudy before they were gaudy.'

I love Belinda Carlisle. My dad had an album of hers and i listened to it as a kid. I don't know loads of her stuff but what I know, I really like.

You know what? I watched Truth Or Dare earlier this year and I honestly don't remember the scene mimicking her lol. Maybe I dozed off or something. Then again, I don't renember every little thing of everything of M's career. I'll have to look for a clip.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/events/women-in-music/7597392/madonna-billboard-woman-of-the-year-interview?utm_source=twitter

Artists Weigh In on Madonna's Inspirational Role in Their Lives

“When I think of greatness and what a legend is, I always think of Madonna. She has always been true to herself as an artist. She does things her way no matter what, and that always inspires me. Because she never backs down from her beliefs and takes risks, she has made history. Working with her was one of the proudest moments of my career. She’s the ultimate boss.â€
-- Nicki Minaj

“Madonna paved the way for girls in pop to express themselves sexually, without apologizing. I really admire what she has created!â€
-- Tove Lo

“Madonna has always been an inspiration to me. She’s a strong woman who knows what she wants and doesn’t compromise her vision. And she’s not afraid to reinvent herself -- with every album she experiments more and pushes the envelope. That takes a lot of courage, which motivates us all.â€
-- Britney Spears

“Madonna is such a singular artist. She created the modern pop star and has pushed boundaries for music for 30 years. She’s legendary, and yet she still brings this incredible young energy.â€
-- Diplo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...