Favorite "classic Madonna" photographer

androiduser

Favorite "classic Madonna" photographer  

63 members voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite photographer that has worked with Madonna? I have only included the most iconic ones

• Steven Meisel
    • Herb Ritts
    • Steven Klein
    • Jean Baptiste Mondino
    • David LaChapelle
    • Patrick Demarchelier
    • Francesco Scavullo
    • Mario Testino
    • Ricardo Gomes

I included Ricardo as a joke, obviously :laughing:

I didn't include some legends that only did a few photoshoots and Madonna wasn't really a hugely important part of their portfolio, and their photos weren't a huge part of Madonna's career either. For that reason - no Helmut Newton, Ellen Von Unwerth, Terry Richardson, Rankin, Annie Leibovitz etc. They're all legendary photographers, but their work with Madonna wasn't really important for either of them.

I wish she had worked with Scavullo more often, his work is hugely significant for the 80's fashion, and Madonna's early years are equally significant, wish we got more material like this:

time1.jpg?w=550&h=746

17 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

Wait... who did the 1998 Magazine shots with dark hair where her face looks like porcelain and her nipples are on display?

The ones used in Q magazine and on the cover of DW were by Rankin. A great shoot, wished she worked with him more...

Unknown.jpeg

But if you're taking about the ones used in Spin magazine around the same time, they were by Inez And Vinoodh...

spin-april-1998-6.jpg_webp.137720013e17b441b4ac63ccc632b6db

1 hour ago, RUADJAI said:

Wait... who did the 1998 Magazine shots with dark hair where her face looks like porcelain and her nipples are on display?

This one...although now looking at it Id hardly say its my favorite. But I've always loved this photoshoot. 

Arena+UK+January+-+February+1999+Luis+Sa

Just shows that she was still showing off her tits even in 1998 during the ROL era when people thought she was being classy.  In fact, even the ROL album shoot she was being revealing.  This woman is renowned for showing off her tits at any chance she gets.  LOL!  I live for it.

39 minutes ago, MDNA22 said:

I always loved that Nothing Really Matters photo single cover of her lying on the bed with the city out of the window I assumed New York  - anyone know who took that ?

That was Luis Sanchez, from the Arena magazine editorial... I also see this photo in his book, very similar to Madonna's look in the video

Luis_Sanchez-3_1080x.jpg

back to the topic of Steven Meisel, did he and Madonna fall out at some point, before they started working together?

There was a big gap from the late 90's to the mid 2000's, and he didn't do any of her Versace campaigns (he used to do most Versace shoots), and M was not on the cover of Vogue Italia for a long time (Vogue Italia covers were shot exclusively by Meisel for decades) and instead Madonna was on the cover of L'Uomo Vogue in 2005, and he didn't do any of her Vogue US covers ether for a long time. Does anyone know what happened? Eventually they got back together, but I don't feel their work was amazing after such a long time.

21 minutes ago, androiduser said:

back to the topic of Steven Meisel, did he and Madonna fall out at some point, before they started working together?

There was a big gap from the late 90's to the mid 2000's, and he didn't do any of her Versace campaigns (he used to do most Versace shoots), and M was not on the cover of Vogue Italia for a long time (Vogue Italia covers were shot exclusively by Meisel for decades) and instead Madonna was on the cover of L'Uomo Vogue in 2005, and he didn't do any of her Vogue US covers ether for a long time. Does anyone know what happened? Eventually they got back together, but I don't feel their work was amazing after such a long time.

Madonna left him for another Steven. I mean, Klein. :Madonna030:

33 minutes ago, rgdlee said:

Madonna left him for another Steven. I mean, Klein. :Madonna030:

Did she or did she simply move on?  I've never heard any animosity between the two.  Sometimes, it's just a matter of evolving with Madonna.  She has been known to move on from those she's worked with from era to era.