Blond Ambition - the Tokyo show in the rain without tour costumes?

androiduser

9 hours ago, EgoRod said:

Didn't Pioneer own the rights of distribution of anything Blonde Ambition related anyway?

Wasn't this the main cause we never had anything but the Blu ray?

It is my understanding that Pioneer only had a 12 month exclusivity contract and no competing release could occur within that time. There was talk of a VHS in 1991 but Truth or Dare and the Immaculate Collection and Justify My Love videos kind of hampered that. By 1992 I think it was seen as too late to do any release.

• 5 months later...
On 4/19/2023 at 5:39 AM, me1981 said:

It is my understanding that Pioneer only had a 12 month exclusivity contract and no competing release could occur within that time. There was talk of a VHS in 1991 but Truth or Dare and the Immaculate Collection and Justify My Love videos kind of hampered that. By 1992 I think it was seen as too late to do any release.

120 years maybe?!?:

U.S.Gov

On 9/20/2023 at 7:31 PM, BlondAmbition said:

120 years maybe?!?:

U.S.Gov

Not a chance Madonna would have signed a copyrighting deal with Pioneer. The show would have been licensed for home media.

I did see somewhere that many artists back then signed 25 year deals with Pioneer. So I guess it's possible M did a 25 year licensing deal with them.

On 9/20/2023 at 7:25 PM, BlondAmbition said:

Lisa Hollingshead said:

David Fincher shots all Tokyo shows in 35mm

read here:

:08:

Lisa Hollingshead interview

While this would be great, some things don't add up. Alek was brought on once Fincher was out of the picture. There seems to be little doubt about that, Fincher's departure was the reason Madonna called Alek. Alek was with M towards the end of rehearsals and obviously when she landed in Japan. 

Maybe David had put together a proposal for the shooting of the three Japan shows when the original plan was to do a concert with some backstage material. I don't think he and Alek were in Japan together. 

19 hours ago, me1981 said:

Not a chance Madonna would have signed a copyrighting deal with Pioneer. The show would have been licensed for home media.

I did see somewhere that many artists back then signed 25 year deals with Pioneer. So I guess it's possible M did a 25 year licensing deal with them.

Yes, sure. At the time, I think, everybody knows that digital support would be the future, perhaps , for this reason that M signed the contract with the leading companies in the sector (at the time)...or maybe because it was the only company that wanted to invest in that concert

who knows!?!

19 hours ago, me1981 said:

While this would be great, some things don't add up. Alek was brought on once Fincher was out of the picture. There seems to be little doubt about that, Fincher's departure was the reason Madonna called Alek. Alek was with M towards the end of rehearsals and obviously when she landed in Japan. 

Maybe David had put together a proposal for the shooting of the three Japan shows when the original plan was to do a concert with some backstage material. I don't think he and Alek were in Japan together. 

the interview is from 10 years ago maybe she wrong...it's passed a long time

On 9/24/2023 at 6:57 PM, BlondAmbition said:

Yes, sure. At the time, I think, everybody knows that digital support would be the future, perhaps , for this reason that M signed the contract with the leading companies in the sector (at the time)...or maybe because it was the only company that wanted to invest in that concert

who knows!?!

I think Pioneer really wanted laserdisc to work and it was still struggling. Madonna was one of a few artists they made deals with to ensure people who had never thought to get a laserdisc player would do so. So I am betting they coughed up big bucks. It did work as Madonna's Blond Ambition was a massive seller. 

I think the reason she went with Pioneer was because they were likely willing to give her a ton of money and she needed it. 

The Blond Ambition tour was expensive to run week to week. Forbes did an article on it. She was losing money during the US leg even though she was selling out because the operating costs were high but the US market couldn't handle ticket prices much above $30. 

She could and did charge more in Japan, which is likely why she didn't cancel any concerts and performed in the rain. She was also able to charge a bit more throughout Europe, but the planning of those shows was a bit of a mess and I don't think many went as planned or were the sell outs hoped for. I believe the Paris and London shows were the only ones planned well in advance and were the most successful without any issues. 

I'd say this is likely the reason we got three tv broadcasts as well. Madonna needed to recoup some losses and so we got three, likely lucrative, tv broadcasts. 

20 hours ago, me1981 said:

I think Pioneer really wanted laserdisc to work and it was still struggling. Madonna was one of a few artists they made deals with to ensure people who had never thought to get a laserdisc player would do so. So I am betting they coughed up big bucks. It did work as Madonna's Blond Ambition was a massive seller. 

I think the reason she went with Pioneer was because they were likely willing to give her a ton of money and she needed it. 

The Blond Ambition tour was expensive to run week to week. Forbes did an article on it. She was losing money during the US leg even though she was selling out because the operating costs were high but the US market couldn't handle ticket prices much above $30. 

She could and did charge more in Japan, which is likely why she didn't cancel any concerts and performed in the rain. She was also able to charge a bit more throughout Europe, but the planning of those shows was a bit of a mess and I don't think many went as planned or were the sell outs hoped for. I believe the Paris and London shows were the only ones planned well in advance and were the most successful without any issues. 

I'd say this is likely the reason we got three tv broadcasts as well. Madonna needed to recoup some losses and so we got three, likely lucrative, tv broadcasts. 

yep, you right! Pioneer's hope was to invest in M which was at the height of her success and to sell its products as much as possible, unfortunately it didn't help.

I don't know about London, on Ebay u can find secondo night gig unsold tickets (the July 21 date was added later) and I bought the July 7th date in Paris which then never took place...

yes, the costs were high for the production and the concert was very daring and many did not want to publicize it. Here in Italy, the states were paid by Zard very late, in fact there was a controversy about it

1 hour ago, BlondAmbition said:

yep, you right! Pioneer's hope was to invest in M which was at the height of her success and to sell its products as much as possible, unfortunately it didn't help.

I don't know about London, on Ebay u can find secondo night gig unsold tickets (the July 21 date was added later) and I bought the July 7th date in Paris which then never took place...

yes, the costs were high for the production and the concert was very daring and many did not want to publicize it. Here in Italy, the states were paid by Zard very late, in fact there was a controversy about it

Didn't know about London and Paris also having issues. I figured the July 7 date was moved earlier to July 6 but I guess she was planning four dates for Paris. 

I know in Germany people were cooling towards her and she was sliding a bit popularity wise. Maybe it wasn't massive, not sure. 

I thought the Pioneer deal did help but I guess it didn't. I know her laserdisc was a big seller, but I guess that didn't translate to any further disc or hardware sales.