Favorite Song from First Album: MADONNA?

Donna

Favorite Debut 'MADONNA' Album Song?   

114 members voted

1. 1. What is your Favorite song from the First Album?

19 hours ago, Voguerista said:

Oh man, this is hard. I voted for Holiday but a close second would be Burning Up. How I’ve come to love that song (and the way she rocks it out on tour!)

For me, it is the other way around.   Burning Up my choice but Holiday definitely a "close second".

I am a little surprised at all the love Burning Up is getting in this poll.  It's slightly ahead of Borderline.  I really expected Holiday to be the big winner here. :)

12 hours ago, Mden said:

I thought Everybody would be the clear winner, and even thought of giving my vote to I Know It cause I loved singing it with my little sister as a kid (lol) and didn’t think anyone would vote for it. Surprisingly they’re one vote apart. 

How sweet.  That is a great song on the album.  Love hearing from those who voted for the non-single tracks.  :)

Although my favorite songs are: Holiday, Lucky Star, Everybody and Physical Attraction in the end I didn't vote for any of them.

Which is the reason?

Because they are extremely long and therefore become boring and monotonous. Fortunately, shorter versions of these songs would arrive over time so that I could listen to them from beginning to end without being invaded by sleepiness or exhaustion that the original versions produced in me.

By the way, this is the only Madonna album that I have had to edit in its entirety to be able to listen to it from beginning to end:

Lucky Star (Celebration Version), Physical Atraction (You can dance), Ain’t no big deal (True Blue version), Burning Up (album version), I know it, Think of me (album version), Holiday (Celebration Version), Everybody (Celebration Version) y Laugh to keep from Crying.

If this had been the original tracklist, this album would have occupied one of the first places in my personal ranking. Unfortunately, the excessive length of some of its songs and the poor choice when it comes to choosing the singles means that this album is not one of my favourites. The best was definitely yet to come.

44 minutes ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

Although my favorite songs are: Holiday, Lucky Star, Everybody and Physical Attraction in the end I didn't vote for any of them.

Which is the reason?

Because they are extremely long and therefore become boring and monotonous. Fortunately, shorter versions of these songs would arrive over time so that I could listen to them from beginning to end without being invaded by sleepiness or exhaustion that the original versions produced in me.

By the way, this is the only Madonna album that I have had to edit in its entirety to be able to listen to it from beginning to end:

Lucky Star (Celebration Version), Physical Atraction (You can dance), Ain’t no big deal (True Blue version), Burning Up (album version), I know it, Think of me (album version), Holiday (Celebration Version), Everybody (Celebration Version) y Laugh to keep from Crying.

If this had been the original tracklist, this album would have occupied one of the first places in my personal ranking. Unfortunately, the excessive length of some of its songs and the poor choice when it comes to choosing the singles means that this album is not one of my favourites. The best was definitely yet to come.

I don't know how old you are, but when this album was released, it was typical for songs to be 4 to 6 minutes long. I have no issues with songs be shorter because some of the best songs in the past have been very short, but the 80's was a different time.  It was a new era for music.  It was great, where music was enjoyed longer than just 2 to 3 minutes.

33 minutes ago, tscott said:

I don't know how old you are, but when this album was released, it was typical for songs to be 4 to 6 minutes long. I have no issues with songs be shorter because some of the best songs in the past have been very short, but the 80's was a different time.  It was a new era for music.  It was great, where music was enjoyed longer than just 2 to 3 minutes.

Well, I think a song can be longer than 5 or 6 minutes as long as it offers something new to the listener like an extra chorus or verse or some purely instrumental moments. Like a prayer or Live to tell, songs released in the 80s, are good examples of what I mean.

Something that does not happen with Lucky Star, Borderline or Think of me because I feel that these songs are intentionally lengthened in terms of their duration when they no longer had anything new to offer the listener and that is why they become repetitive and somewhat soporific.

If this was due to that trend of the 80s, that you mention, that the songs last so many minutes is totally new information for me because I am not from that time. However, it seems curious to me that this trend lasted for such a short time because in the following Madonna albums we no longer saw songs intentionally lengthened in terms of their duration. Something good for me because I don't know if I would have liked to listen to Like a Virgin, Dress you Up or La isla Bonita with a duration of 6 or 8 minutes. Thank God.

On 7/13/2023 at 1:21 PM, Mden said:

I thought Everybody would be the clear winner, and even thought of giving my vote to I Know It cause I loved singing it with my little sister as a kid (lol) and didn’t think anyone would vote for it. Surprisingly they’re one vote apart. 

I thought Holiday would, but we both seem to be off.  "Burning Up" is still taking the lead.  Glad it's my favorite!!

On 7/15/2023 at 3:40 AM, chaosmen1984mk said:

Well, I think a song can be longer than 5 or 6 minutes as long as it offers something new to the listener like an extra chorus or verse or some purely instrumental moments. Like a prayer or Live to tell, songs released in the 80s, are good examples of what I mean.

Something that does not happen with Lucky Star, Borderline or Think of me because I feel that these songs are intentionally lengthened in terms of their duration when they no longer had anything new to offer the listener and that is why they become repetitive and somewhat soporific.

If this was due to that trend of the 80s, that you mention, that the songs last so many minutes is totally new information for me because I am not from that time. However, it seems curious to me that this trend lasted for such a short time because in the following Madonna albums we no longer saw songs intentionally lengthened in terms of their duration. Something good for me because I don't know if I would have liked to listen to Like a Virgin, Dress you Up or La isla Bonita with a duration of 6 or 8 minutes. Thank God.

It also had to de with Madonna and Stephen being influenced by club culture, in clubs songs would often exceed 6 minutes. In fairness Everybody the album version isn't that long and Physical Attraction on YCD is exactly the same. Personally I love the long tracks, maybe Holiday doesn't need to be over 6 minutes but you almost can't edit Borderline without taking all the background singers and the wonderful ad lips out. Part of why they are so long are the extremely long intros, more than the rest of the song structure.

It's such a toss up between Everybody, Physical Attraction and also Borderline, I went with PA because that hits every spot for me. Everybody too but more so the extended mix than the shorter album version. But then again First Album version of Burning Up is fantatsic, but as I can't stand the original rock version that one didn't get picked

F****g "Burning Up"! :fire:

It's shocking to think it was just her 2nd single release. I mean, she's full of confidence and bravado!

I'm not the same, I have no shame, I'M ON FIRE!

Love it so much.

My fave trivia about this song:

- Reggie Lucas and studio engineers asking her to repeat the "uh uh uh"s cause they enjoyed it too much when she did those.

- Her almost dying on the video shoot!!!!!!

I went with Everybody because it’s the underdog of my top 3 songs. The other two being Physical Attraction and Burning Up.

My personal ranking would be:

1. Everybody

2. Physical Attraction

3. Burning Up

4. Lucky Star

5. Holiday (It’s so overplayed…)

6. Think of Me

7. Borderline (I really don't get the hype for this one)

8. I Know It

Overall I LOVE tracks 1-4, everything else is okay but not something I willingly listen to in its original form.

42 minutes ago, MPowered said:

7. Borderline (I really don't get the hype for this one)

I agree, and still I really love it. But in all honesty it's weird this is such a hit, the production is kind of cheesy, the lyrics are clearly not written by Madonna, it's like an anti Burning Up, putting her lover in control over her like that is so not a Madonna statement. And still, that pre chorus, when her pitch drops on the word "Just" it's sending me to heaven

On 7/18/2023 at 7:31 AM, Pretender1978 said:

I agree, and still I really love it. But in all honesty it's weird this is such a hit, the production is kind of cheesy, the lyrics are clearly not written by Madonna, it's like an anti Burning Up, putting her lover in control over her like that is so not a Madonna statement. And still, that pre chorus, when her pitch drops on the word "Just" it's sending me to heaven

It's a great song, but we can see Burning Up (a song Madonna wrote) is still getting love here.  :luv: