Which artists do you think either copied or heavily borrowed from Madonnas career the most?

Tudors

This kind of conversation is very frequent inside many fanbases. And I always enter to bring the same light on it. Madonna, Kylie, Gaga, Beyoncé as well all the other big pop stars have a CREATIVE TEAM behind them. The artists are not the only one to have ideas and inspirations. 

Creative directors and their teams often have extensive academic backgrounds in the arts. They have layers of references that none of the divas, nor we, have. And I believe that stars often accept ideas and inspirations because they are great, without caring or knowing that others have done similar things before.

20 minutes ago, Dj Garrido said:

This kind of conversation is very frequent inside many fanbases. And I always enter to bring the same light on it. Madonna, Kylie, Gaga, Beyoncé as well all the other big pop stars have a CREATIVE TEAM behind them. The artists are not the only one to have ideas and inspirations. 

Creative directors and their teams often have extensive academic backgrounds in the arts. They have layers of references that none of the divas, nor we, have. And I believe that stars often accept ideas and inspirations because they are great, without caring or knowing that others have done similar things before.

What are some examples of Pop divas other than Madonna referencing anything that would require an academic background in the arts?

And also isn't it a bit insulting to all these women to say "oh, their creative teams did all that. They couldn't possibly have known where the ideas came from." To me it seems like a cop out. Gaga is well known to have taken credit for all these ideas and inspirations and blabbed on about her fashion influences, visual artists that inspired her blah blah blah. "It's a reverse Warholian experience."

Are we really supposed to believe her entire creative team were inspired by things that just happened to be the same inspirations Madonna had 20 years before her? :laughing:

4 hours ago, godonna said:

I said it was controversial!

It's not that Janet was consciously taking notes from Madonna, it's moreso that Janet was working with whatever was acceptable for the female-pop climate, which itself evolved based on what Madonna did.

Controversial to whom?  Janet did not take notes from Madonna. Only some Madonna fans try to make that connection.  If anything, Janet avoided being like Madonna.  Yet, the two were coming up at the same time, so there are bound to be some similarities because they had similar friends they worked with throughout the years, whether it be directors, designers, producers, photographers, etc.  Janet was far more genuine urban while Madonna was pop trying to be urban from time to time. Madonna seemed to explore more genres throughout her career, while Janet's pretty much stuck to pop and R&B.  But let's not forget Janet was one of the mainstream artists that help New Jack Swing onto the scene in the mid to late 80's.  If Janet was "consciously not" taking notes from anyone it was her brother.  I don't believe either were taking notes from Madonna.

1 hour ago, Dj Garrido said:

This!  Many of these pop stars teams end up running in the same circles/working for different pop stars.  Not to say some of these artists don't interject and say, "hey, I like what Madonna did in that video, can we do something like that?"  (I just used Madonna as an example; it could be any other artist they like and enjoy as well).  But yeah, many of these artists higher directors who may already have a vision for these artists video, and then build on it with the artist. Or the artist might have an idea and they build on it.  But usually falls in line with their team, and the way the artist is being steered, whether it's style, a look or whatever.  And let's not forget most photographers and directors usually have a particular vibe or style which an artist is looking for.  It's much like when Madonna decided to work with Justin Timberlake and TImbaland. She was interested in dialing into their style of music for Hard Candy.  In fact, she does that with all the producers she works with. They all have a particular style and these artists are tapping into that, while they try to put their own twist on it.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it's very evident that the artist chose to go with the style of the producer or director or the photographer, etc.

42 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Specific examples of works?

What was Lady Gaga referencing here that wasn't Madonna? Steven Klein? :laughing:

Alejandro_lady_gaga.jpg

What @Dj Garrido said was true.

It’s not just these girls coming up with everything by themselves. They have a whole team. A creative director. You don’t just play around on photoshop and become a creative director overnight.

21 minutes ago, Donna said:

This!  Many of these pop stars teams end up running in the same circles/working for different pop stars.  Not to say some of these artists don't interject and say, "hey, I like what Madonna did in that video, can we do something like that?"  (I just used Madonna as an example; it could be any other artist they like and enjoy as well).  But yeah, many of these artists higher directors who may already have a vision for these artists video, and then build on it with the artist. Or the artist might have an idea and they build on it.  But usually falls in line with their team, and the way the artist is being steered, whether it's style, a look or whatever.  And let's not forget most photographers and directors usually have a particular vibe or style which an artist is looking for.  It's much like when Madonna decided to work with Justin Timberlake and TImbaland. She was interested in dialing into their style of music for Hard Candy.  In fact, she does that with all the producers she works with. They all have a particular style and these artists are tapping into that, while they try to put their own twist on it.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it's very evident that the artist chose to go with the style of the producer or director or the photographer, etc.

Just an exemple: A lot of Stuart Price remixes and productions (for several artists like The Killers, Gwen Stephanie, Dua Lipa and Kylie)  sound very similar to each other and, consequently, to some of Madonna songs and remixes he produced. 

14 minutes ago, deathproof said:

What @Dj Garrido said was true.

It’s not just these girls coming up with everything by themselves. They have a whole team. A creative director. You don’t just play around on photoshop and become a creative director overnight.

But you’re not saying anything that isn’t common knowledge? The claim was that Madonna wasn’t the reference point . But she clearly is half the time when it comes to female pop stars. Especially in the 90’s and 2000’s. Maybe not really for today’s artists. But to deny she hasn’t been copied by many female pop stars (or their creative teams… whoever ) or that they didn’t know Madonna did this or that first is just rubbish.

47 minutes ago, Donna said:

Controversial to whom?  Janet did not take notes from Madonna. Only some Madonna fans try to make that connection.  If anything, Janet avoided being like Madonna.  Yet, the two were coming up at the same time, so there are bound to be some similarities because they had similar friends they worked with throughout the years, whether it be directors, designers, producers, photographers, etc.  Janet was far more genuine urban while Madonna was pop trying to be urban from time to time. Madonna seemed to explore more genres throughout her career, while Janet's pretty much stuck to pop and R&B.  But let's not forget Janet was one of the mainstream artists that help New Jack Swing onto the scene in the mid to late 80's.  If Janet was "consciously not" taking notes from anyone it was her brother.  I don't believe either were taking notes from Madonna.

Love Janet but I don’t think we would have gotten her 1993 sexual revolution phase had Madonna 1990-92 not happened. 

7 minutes ago, Dj Garrido said:

Just an exemple: A lot of Stuart Price remixes and productions (for several artists like The Killers, Gwen Stephanie, Dua Lipa and Kylie)  sound very similar to each other and, consequently, to some of Madonna songs and remixes he produced. 

Exactly!  So many people forget the team they have for each song, album, look or whatever.  Many of these artists (especially these days) all sound similar or look the same because they have the same people working for them. It's not really a new concept.  So it tickles me when I read from fans (of whatever artitst) get irate how another artist copied their favorite, and then go on bashing the artist when in most cases, the team for that particular look or project was put together by the same team or a similar that worked with another artist.  I think what helps an artist who wants to stand out from the rest, they try hard to interject their own input and put a twist on it all. Madonna has been good with that throughout her career.  I think Lady Gaga tends to do that to some degree as well. 

1 minute ago, adirondak said:

Love Janet but I don’t think we would have gotten her 1993 sexual revolution phase had Madonna 1990-92 not happened. 

I don't really think Madonna had much to do with her going that route, but I can see that Madonna opened the door to allow mainstream to accept Janet to be more sexual, but by that time, many other acts were being more open.  Also, I do feel Janet was already giving hints of that with a couple of her last singles/videos from Rhythm Nation in 1990.  Also, Janet was already "moaning sexually" on her 1986 album.  The point I am making is that I don't think Janet copied or was inspired in anyway to what Madonna did.  At most, what Madonna did was open the door for the mainstream to be more accepting for these artists to be more sexual.

16 minutes ago, Donna said:

I don't really think Madonna had much to do with her going that route, but I can see that Madonna opened the door to allow mainstream to accept Janet to be more sexual, but by that time, many other acts were being more open.  Also, I do feel Janet was already giving hints of that with a couple of her last singles/videos from Rhythm Nation in 1990.  Also, Janet was already "moaning sexually" on her 1986 album.  The point I am making is that I don't think Janet copied or was inspired in anyway to what Madonna did.  At most, what Madonna did was open the door for the mainstream to be more accepting for these artists to be more sexual.

She did songs about a man’s cock feeling good on her lips, a man making her pussy wet and fucking her man with people watching 7 months after Erotica came out. She even did a video with sex scenes in 1994. Nothing sexual whatsoever before any of that.

17 minutes ago, Donna said:

Yes, I forgot about Love Will Never Do Without You video. That was directed by Meisel, so there's still a loose Madonna connection. I don't think she ever specifically thought "I'm going to copy Madonna," I just see a subtle influence there. 

15 minutes ago, adirondak said:

Yes, I forgot about Love Will Never Do Without You video. That was directed by Meisel, so there's still a loose Madonna connection. I don't think she ever specifically thought "I'm going to copy Madonna," I just see a subtle influence there. 

I thought that was directed by Herb Ritts?  But no matter, your point still stands.  You can see how the director's influence is strong in those videos.  Herb did Cherish, which his first time directing, then Janet using him months later for "Love will never..."   If I recall, Michael used him for "In the Closet" several years later. 

But yeah, in many cases, a lot of artists including Madonna are usually using the same directors, designers and photographers and so that's why we are seeing similar looks, etc.  Then we have these artists years later who are inspired by all these older directors, stylists, photographers, so they cycle continues. :)

1 hour ago, Donna said:

I thought that was directed by Herb Ritts?  But no matter, your point still stands.  You can see how the director's influence is strong in those videos.  Herb did Cherish, which his first time directing, then Janet using him months later for "Love will never..."   If I recall, Michael used him for "In the Closet" several years later. 

But yeah, in many cases, a lot of artists including Madonna are usually using the same directors, designers and photographers and so that's why we are seeing similar looks, etc.  Then we have these artists years later who are inspired by all these older directors, stylists, photographers, so they cycle continues. :)

Oops yea I mean Ritts.