Adonna chatroom

14 hours ago, Adonna said:

Exactly.  Sorry was another song I loved and thought should have been a huge top 10 hit for her in the U.S.  But at this time, corporate radio stations were hating on Madonna. They refused to play a lot of her new music by then.  Of course, some of the bigger cities still did so because they had a lot of dance oriented stations, but smaller states and communities never heard these songs on the radio. 

Die Another Day was the last song I heard on my top 40 radio stations on a regular basis. It wasn't until "4 Minutes" was release I head Madonna on the radio again. After that, nothing!

What's even sadder is that had the charts been calculated the way they would be in the 2010s with more weight on digital, it would've for sure been a #1. It was #1 on itunes FOREVER...i can only imagine if streaming was a thing. People GENUINELY loved Hung Up. Also didnt help she only performed it once in the US in 2006! It peaked at #7, was going down the charts i believe in the 20s and when she performed it at the grammys in jan/feb 2006 it started going up the charts again peaking AGAIN at #7!!!!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Alpha said:

What's even sadder is that had the charts been calculated the way they would be in the 2010s with more weight on digital, it would've for sure been a #1. It was #1 on itunes FOREVER...i can only imagine if streaming was a thing. People GENUINELY loved Hung Up. Also didnt help she only performed it once in the US in 2006! It peaked at #7, was going down the charts i believe in the 20s and when she performed it at the grammys in jan/feb 2006 it started going up the charts again peaking AGAIN at #7!!!!

Yeah, it got very little radio support in the U.S.  But the song was constantly played on MTV and Vh1.  I also recall how ITUNES it was #1 for a long time.  I do agree if digital sales at the time got more weight, she may have had a #1 in the U.S.

3 minutes ago, Adonna said:

Yeah, it got very little radio support in the U.S.  But the song was constantly played on MTV and Vh1.  I also recall how ITUNES it was #1 for a long time.  I do agree if digital sales at the time got more weight, she may have had a #1 in the U.S.

I'm curious how Sorry would've done had she performed that instead of Hung Up at the Grammys. If i recall that it went to #1 on itunes for awhile as well just not as long? It only went to #58 so maybe at best top 20. It's crazy how people loved the album yet there was a beyond obvious blocking of its success in the US. I mean we all remember the leaked emails between JLos ex manager and some big shit guy from Fox right? 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

I'm curious how Sorry would've done had she performed that instead of Hung Up at the Grammys. If i recall that it went to #1 on itunes for awhile as well just not as long? It only went to #58 so maybe at best top 20. It's crazy how people loved the album yet there was a beyond obvious blocking of its success in the US. I mean we all remember the leaked emails between JLos ex manager and some big shit guy from Fox right? 

Yeah Sorry was on the digital charts for a long time too.  MTV and Vh1 played that video a lot too.  I'd be curious how well the song would have charted if she sung it at the Grammys instead as well.  And like you said, the album was doing quite nicely, so I guess that's a win. :)

1 minute ago, Adonna said:

Yeah Sorry was on the digital charts for a long time too.  MTV and Vh1 played that video a lot too.  I'd be curious how well the song would have charted if she sung it at the Grammys instead as well.  And like you said, the album was doing quite nicely, so I guess that's a win. :)

Do u remember the leaked emails between Benny Medina and Roger Friedman? Absolutely VILE. 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Do u remember the leaked emails between Benny Medina and Roger Friedman? Absolutely VILE. 

Yeah, I sorta forgot all about that. That's when he was trying to insinuate Madonna was adopting from Malawi for good publicity or something like that.  So stupid.  Madonna isn't that shallow.  Also, she went out of her way to find out Malawi's situation after being embarrassed and hung up on, when some woman (I forgot the name) called her and asked her to help in Malawi. That's when Madonna admitted she had never heard of the country.  Anyway, no one like that just adopts for publicity. She's poured so much money into that country, building schools and Medical centers. 

14 minutes ago, Adonna said:

Yeah, I sorta forgot all about that. That's when he was trying to insinuate Madonna was adopting from Malawi for good publicity or something like that.  So stupid.  Madonna isn't that shallow.  Also, she went out of her way to find out Malawi's situation after being embarrassed and hung up on, when some woman (I forgot the name) called her and asked her to help in Malawi. That's when Madonna admitted she had never heard of the country.  Anyway, no one like that just adopts for publicity. She's poured so much money into that country, building schools and Medical centers. 

I never knew about THOSE. I was talking about the one for planting fake reviews for Confessions and calling her Vadge and calling Kurt Loder a loser. It was shortly after the Grammys so they were already planning fake reviews for the tour before it had even started!

American Pie charted in USA thanks to the radio. If it was released as a single, it would have been  no.1.

The decisions of Madonna and her team...

Speaking of the quality,  it is a cute song. Her voice is great and the production is neat.  I get why people like to place it on worst covers lists. In comparison to the original, it is soulless. When you cover a song, you can make it be very similar to the original, which is boring, or do something different, which Madonna did. She and Orbit were creative, but they didn't capture the essence of the original.

It is weird that Rupert convinced Madonna to cover it. And I can't believe she placed it on Music, although she explained that her label wanted that.

Although I don't hate ethereal music, I definitely hate that ethereal vibe on American Pie and Time Stood Still. 

Also, the single artwork is cheap.

I wished she released a new song for The Immaculate Collection Vol.2 in 2000, before Music.

4 minutes ago, Justice said:

American Pie charted in USA thanks to the radio. If it was released as a single, it would have been  no.1.

The decisions of Madonna and her team...

Speaking of the quality,  it is a cute song. Her voice is great and the production is neat.  I get why people like to place it on worst covers lists. In comparison to the original, it is soulless. When you cover a song, you can make it be very similar to the original, which is boring, or do something different, which Madonna did. She and Orbit were creative, but they didn't capture the essence of the original.

It is weird that Rupert convinced Madonna to cover it. And I can't believe she placed it on Music, although she explained that her label wanted that.

Although I don't hate ethereal music, I definitely hate that ethereal vibe on American Pie and Time Stood Still. 

Also, the single artwork is cheap.

I wished she released a new song for The Immaculate Collection Vol.2 in 2000, before Music.

It definitely wouldnt have gone to #1 but probably top 10. Beautiful Stranger definitely had a shot of #1 though :( its weird looking back in hindsight how many more hits she could've had if the physical singles weren't self sabotaged. I never even knew they didnt realse Frozen until the day Ray of Light was released! Years ago there was a thread on Mtribe saying Frozen was her #2 that was least likely to go to #1 but who knows!

16 hours ago, Adonna said:

I think very similar regarding U.S Charts.  The fact Into The Groove didn't score a #1 in the U.S. was highway robbery.  The fact it didn't ge a physical single, kept it from doing so.  Beautiful Stranger suffered the same fate. 

But let's remember some of the biggest and iconic songs never reached #1 if even top 10.  Madonna's "Holiday" is one of her most well known and iconic song but upon it's initial release, it didn't even reach top 10.  It took a couple re-releases before that happened in certain regions. 

Beautiful Stranger wasn't released in USA? OMG. She and her team are officially dumb. I thought it was only songs like ITG, AP and Fever.

Holiday is one of those 80s song, regardless if it was or wasn't a big hit, that has an obvious appeal and is always present in different media. 

16 hours ago, Adonna said:

Exactly.  Sorry was another song I loved and thought should have been a huge top 10 hit for her in the U.S.  But at this time, corporate radio stations were hating on Madonna. They refused to play a lot of her new music by then.  Of course, some of the bigger cities still did so because they had a lot of dance oriented stations, but smaller states and communities never heard these songs on the radio. 

Not to mention being snubbed on VMA's. 

From that point she should have ignored MTV. Instead she was a fool to do speeches for them on VMA's or promote her Madame X.

36 minutes ago, Justice said:

Beautiful Stranger wasn't released in USA? OMG. She and her team are officially dumb. I thought it was only songs like ITG, AP and Fever.

That wasn't her or HER team's doing. It was the decision of the record label. They wanted people to buy the soundtrack instead.  It actually worked.  Unfortunately, Madonna lost out a possible top 10 if not #1 song because of it.  Keep in mind, singles are to promote to sell an album. The film was getting a lot of attention. So was her song, so what better way to sell an album is to keep it exclusive to the album. It was actually a good strategy. 

43 minutes ago, Justice said:

Not to mention being snubbed on VMA's. 

From that point she should have ignored MTV. Instead she was a fool to do speeches for them on VMA's or promote her Madame X.

Snubbed?  Hardly?  She is one of the most nominated artists by MTV and is among the artists with most wins behind Beyonce (who has counted wins with Destiny Child) and Taylor Swift with 20 wins.  She had 68 nominations in all with her latest in 2022.  If she was "snubbed" she wouldn't have been nominated.  I'd think she's done quite well considering the amount of wins she's had.  I don't agree that she was a "fool to do speeches for them" or promote MX on the channel. She and MTV really had a run together.  Unfortunately, it's not the same these days when the station rarely even plays music videos anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Adonna said:

Snubbed?  Hardly?  She is one of the most nominated artists by MTV and is among the artists with most wins behind Beyonce (who has counted wins with Destiny Child) and Taylor Swift with 20 wins.  She had 68 nominations in all with her latest in 2022.  If she was "snubbed" she wouldn't have been nominated.  I'd think she's done quite well considering the amount of wins she's had.  I don't agree that she was a "fool to do speeches for them" or promote MX on the channel. She and MTV really had a run together.  Unfortunately, it's not the same these days when the station rarely even plays music videos anymore. 

I was talking about COADF era. Hung Up didn't get any award at VMA's.

• Tudors changed the title to Delete and hide
8 minutes ago, Justice said:

I was talking about COADF era. Hung Up didn't get any award at VMA's.

But she wasn't snubbed.  She was nominated many times that year.  Just because she didn't win, doesn't equate to she was snubbed.  If she was snubbed she wouldn't have been nominated for any as well for the times she was nominated after.  Also, I was pleased by the artists who won in those categories. Each of them deserved it and were mostly won by artists who hadn't been nominated or won awards before.

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

It definitely wouldnt have gone to #1 but probably top 10. Beautiful Stranger definitely had a shot of #1 though :( its weird looking back in hindsight how many more hits she could've had if the physical singles weren't self sabotaged. I never even knew they didnt realse Frozen until the day Ray of Light was released! Years ago there was a thread on Mtribe saying Frozen was her #2 that was least likely to go to #1 but who knows!

That damn K-Ci & JoJo's "All My Life" jumped up 15 spots and stole the spot from Madonna, keeping her @#2. 

11 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

@Tudors Delete and hide?

Yes certain others have taken over and discussing other off topic  eras that have nothing to do with the topic at hand and there is no hide button for threads. Quite annoying delete and hide!

1 hour ago, Tudors said:

Yes certain others have taken over and discussing other off topic  eras that have nothing to do with the topic at hand and there is no hide button for threads. Quite annoying delete and hide!

well i mean theres only so much that can be said for a specific moment in time, discussions are bound to go off topic on any thread.

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

well i mean theres only so much that can be said for a specific moment in time, discussions are bound to go off topic on any thread.

Like why is Madame x gmayl American life hung up radio bans, Madonnas Instagram Sorrys charting performance, being talked about in here? It was supposed to be about American pie and the canceled superbowl. If someone wants to change the topic they can just create a new one and let the thread die

4 minutes ago, Tudors said:

Like why is Madame x gmayl American life hung up radio bans, Madonnas Instagram being talked about in here? It was supposed to be about American pie and the canceled superbowl. If someone wants to change the topic they can just create a new one and let the thread die

because someone mentioned the 2012 superbowl which tangents off of the cancelled 2000 one. again, topics always go off topic into tangents. thats how conversations flow.

edit - also its not that big of a deal, its okay to be frustrated to not get the discussion you were looking for, but its a bit much in my opinion to delete and hide the thread when its being used for active discussion

1 minute ago, Chris said:

because someone mentioned the 2012 superbowl which tangents off of the cancelled 2000 one. again, topics always go off topic into tangents. thats how conversations flow.

Conversation ended then. I'll stop making threads bye 😘

1 minute ago, Tudors said:

Conversation ended then. I'll stop making threads bye 😘

im sorry, but it seems like you're genuinely upset about this. i dont think its that big of a deal. its okay to be frustrated to not get the discussion you were looking for, but its a bit excessive (in my opinion) to delete and hide the thread when its being used for active discussion.

but anyway hope your day goes better than it seemingly has already :kissy:

3 minutes ago, Chris said:

im sorry, but it seems like you're genuinely upset about this. i dont think its that big of a deal. its okay to be frustrated to not get the discussion you were looking for, but its a bit excessive (in my opinion) to delete and hide the thread when its being used for active discussion.

but anyway hope your day goes better than it seemingly has already :kissy:

There is not a delete and hide option so I didn't do that . Thanks ill be less cranky after my fast is done at 1. But also you did ask me to elaborate lol. I just won't make threads here since it works differently than other forums where people like to discuss the topic at hand. That's what I will do since I cannot control others. Simple 😎

2 hours ago, Chris said:

The OP also changed the topic title a couple of times.  So of course, it's gonna seem as if it went off topic to him, when it really just branched off, yet was still related to how the topic started.  Anyway, he's the one who took it off topic to make it about him now.  Anyway, hope he works it out.  I do think as you stated, the topic sorta exhausted itself.  It was originally questioning about why she may have cancelled her 2000 Superbowl appearance. When a few shared the official stated reason, which is due to conflicts in her recording the MUSIC album, he tried to insist it was only about her being one month pregnant with Rocco.  While it's not impossible to think, it didn't stop her from romping around the studio with Rupert Everett while filming AMERICAN PIE video nearly the same time she was to appear at the Superbowl.  Like officially stated, she was super busy and had to back out. End of!  :)

• Tudors changed the title to Adonna chatroom
  • Jackie locked this topic