The I dislike Rebel Heart thread.

patriziagucci

Well,what was good about it?? The Like A Prayer rehash of Living For Love with its Instagram filter video, a misspelling of Nietsche or whatever written in Papyri Microsoft word lettering at the end?? Everyone keeps on hollering about it but nobody pinpoints what was so amazing about Rebel Heart.

Okay, but let's talk about the album itself.

It's a very confusing record full of fillers, there's good songs and there songs that are the worst in her career. I don't like the visuals, the photoshoot. There's no concept.

Even Hard Candy it's a better record because she knew what she wanted to do with it, specific sound, specific collabs and producers, it's cohesive. Not with this, I giver her props for trying experimenting sounds that I never knew she would touch like most of Diplo stuff, but it's all over the place Rebel Heart, it doesn't make sense, it's extremely dull and empty.

She's heading to 60 and wanna keep doing this kind of music? Please come back with something meaningful, something mature and yet joyous, fresh and young, please come back with trends, not following them.

Posted Image

Which would you say are some of the worst of her career? Besides the obvious Bitch I'm Madonna.

It's a very confusing record full of fillers, there's good songs and there songs that are the worst in her career. I don't like the visuals, the photoshoot. There's no concept.

Even Hard Candy it's a better record because she knew what she wanted to do with it, specific sound, specific collabs and producers, it's cohesive. Not with this, I giver her props for trying experimenting sounds that I never knew she would touch like most of Diplo stuff, but it's all over the place Rebel Heart, it doesn't make sense, it's extremely dull and empty.

She's heading to 60 and wanna keep doing this kind of music? Please come back with something meaningful, something mature and yet joyous, fresh and young, please come back with trends, not following them.

Posted Image

I think she can do whatever she wants to do, and shouldn't listen to any opinions really, however I think she's traded some of the artistic maturity she had reached in her 40s to be more like she was in the 80s and early 90s, with the raunchy and silly persona. It's not about her age, but about artistic maturity, you can fight ageism without going too much the ovbious route or your work suffering over it. I say that with the utmost respect to her. I would like to see her doing something fun, yet taking it seriously artistically. It's hard to explain. Some things she's done since HC are too silly-generic, I can take irony, her amazing sense of humour, that's what makes her a pop genius, but the music has to be REALLY good for it to work. I think COADF is great, but I admit that's probably where her mind started shifting towards this.

However, I do enjoy her collaboration with Diplo - for the most part - who I love. I think VVV is criminally bad though.  :lol: They're both better than that.

I think she can do whatever she wants to do, and shouldn't listen to any opinions really, however I think she's traded some of the artistic maturity she had reached in her 40s to be more like she was in the 80s and early 90s, with the raunchy and silly persona. It's not about her age, but about artistic maturity, you can fight ageism without going too much the ovbious route or your work suffering over it. I say that with the utmost respect to her. I would like to see her doing something fun, yet taking it seriously artistically. It's hard to explain. Some things she's done since HC are too silly, I can take irony, her amazing sense of humour, that's what makes her a pop genius, but the music has to be REALLY good for it to work. I think COADF is great, but I admit that's probably where her mind started shifting towards this.

However, I do enjoy her collaboration with Diplo - for the most part - who I love. I think VVV is criminally bad though.  :lol: They're both better than that.

Of course she can do whatever she wants but when I'm talking, I'm talking about the spectrum of her career. I really like Bitch I'm Madonna she's being silly and funny, it's a good song, I like the beat. But when she puts something like S.E.X out, I think deeply it's just embarrassing someone who did Erotica sings "Oh my god, you're so hot, pull my hair, let me get on top" :ay: Where we draw the line between fun, silly and embarrassing?

Most of this has to do it with the fact that she's pushing herself for the market, the charts. But that's not going to happen, what might she just do it something of quality but idk, I'm here no matter what she brings to the table.

Of course she can do whatever she wants but when I'm talking, I'm talking about the spectrum of her career. I really like Bitch I'm Madonna she's being silly and funny, it's a good song, I like the beat. But when she puts something like S.E.X out, I think deeply it's just embarrassing someone who did Erotica sings "Oh my god, you're so hot, pull my hair, let me get on top" :ay: Where we draw the line between fun, silly and embarrassing?  Most of this has to do it with the fact that she's pushing herself for the market, the charts. But that's not going to happen, what might she just do it something of quality but idk, I'm here no matter what she brings to the table.

Where do we draw the line, look at the rap part in S.E.X. Its actually good imho, funny, raunchy, edgy, different, while the verse you mention is just embarrasing. Shes chasing trends and probably wants the charts, but at this point, the ironic thing is, her best bet for commercial success is being more alternative and experimental. Will she do it? TOAC gave me hope, but like you say im here for whatever she wants to bring, theres always something good in what she does.

I know it's impossible for dissent to be tolerated here, but let's discuss just how horrific this album and era was. Surely there must be somebody else in here that realizes how bad it all was.

It's not that this album/era is horrific. It's just that you find it horrific. It's not because you think so that it's true. The opposite is right too. It's not because I find it really good that it is :) Just a story of shades :)

I agree.

There's so much talent out there to be discovered. With the internet you can find so many interesting, talented people doing amazing things. She talked about "a lot of talent going unnoticed" in secretprojectrevolution, yet when it comes to making an album she works with the hottest producers of the world at the time and the same photographers and creative directors as the last 10 years. (who I love but still). That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I actually respect that a fan created the Bitch I'm Madonna single cover, but there's a whole universe out there of talents, is she paying attention?

There's so much talent out there to be discovered. With the internet you can find so many interesting, talented people doing amazing things. She talked about "a lot of talent going unnoticed" in secretprojectrevolution, yet when it comes to making an album she works with the hottest producers of the world at the time and the same photographers and creative directors as the last 10 years. (who I love but still). That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.I actually respect that a fan created the Bitch I'm Madonna single cover, but there's a whole universe out there of talents, is she paying attention?

I would've made a better cober for that single tbh how the hell did she like that?? I'll try on the next era hahaha

Confessions is her masterpiece. Are you deaf? You can have an opinion but somehow it needs to be objective. 

And why is it a masterpiece? Because she recycled old melodies and sang in an overproduced voice, and had like only one hit single that was a hit because of ABBA, that makes it a masterpiece? Who do you think you are talking about?? Britney? This woman has Like A Prayer, True Blue, Erotica, Ray Of Light and Music in her discography, Confessions On A Dance Floor is nowhere near that, it is her most commercial and predictable album, done solely to regain radio favor.

well clearly you don't like Madonna for what she is today and what she has been for over 10 years. So why don't you just enjoy her old work? What's the point of being insulting? I don't get it. I don't like some of the things she's done but I know, especially with her music, that she's put time and effort into them and there's always a redeeming quality, in her touring, in her message, in her videos, there's always something to like... if that's not the case for you, then don't be bitter about it. Life's too short to be bitter. And look at other artists, we are lucky to have her around.

I love Madonna for what she is today. I love everything that makes you and the community seethe. The grills, the crazy clothes, exposing her breasts, her instagram, I absolutely love it. She hasn't been this fun in 20 years. What I don't like is the music she is doing, which is the worst. But luckily, I truly love Madonna, she's not ONLY music for me, she's so much more, that is why I don't have to induce myself into a coma and force myself to like her music, I can look at it and say, ok this is crap and just go on to enjoy her newest public appearance.

How many flaming reviews did Rebel Heart get?? That is the problem right there. You want her to stop making this music? Then let's stop pretending. Rebel Heart is Confessions On A Dance Floor Version 3.0- She has been in the same rut since Confessions. You want her to change?? Let's stop pretending Confessions is a masterpiece and let's acknowledge it for what it is, the moment Madonna the artist died. And we are still waiting. She hasn't made a true Madonna album since American Life and she's not going to wake up until her new album sells just 50 thousand copies. Rebel Heart was a monumental commercial failure but I don't think she's there yet. I think she has deluded herself into thinking this album flopped because of ageism. It didn't. If flopped because it was bad.

And why is it a masterpiece? Because she recycled old melodies and sang in an overproduced voice, and had like only one hit single that was a hit because of ABBA, that makes it a masterpiece? Who do you think you are talking about?? Britney? This woman has Like A Prayer, True Blue, Erotica, Ray Of Light and Music in her discography, Confessions On A Dance Floor is nowhere near that, it is her most commercial and predictable album, done solely to regain radio favor.

Get Together, Sorry, Forbidden Love, Like It Or Not, Let It Will Be. It doesn't need hits to be a good album.

Get Together, Sorry, Forbidden Love, Like It Or Not, Let It Will Be. It doesn't need hits to be a good album.

Those are not good songs. People complain about Bitch I'm Madonna but the lyrics on those songs you mentioned could have been written by a fourth grader. All the melodies are straight up plagiarized from something else. The album had no hits outside of Hung Up, which was a hit solely because of an ABBA sample, nobody cared about any other song from this "masterpiece", and Hung Up flopped in the US, she was totally aiming for a number 1 and only managed a number 7.

If you love it that's fine but don't call it a masterpiece. It's not a good look for you and it isn't for Madonna either. This woman invented pop music, Kylie Minogue did Confessions On A Dancefloor 5 years before Confessions On A Dancefloor, let's call a spade a spade, there is nothing masterly about it.

it was truly sweet with some atrocious result :freaky:

If I am not mistaken, the cover art was not made by a fan, but if she wanted to give it to a fan, she should have used this one:

Posted Image

And that is precisely my point, this era was an unmitigated disaster, it even has the worst single cover of her entire career.

She hasn't made a true Madonna album since American Life

What is a true Madonna album for you?

Maybe a real pop album like True Blue?

Or an album with deep lyrics like Like A Prayer?

Or a risky album like Erotica or American Life?

Nevermind...

Rebel Heart has many songs with the best lyrics in much time, and a lot of catchy pop melodies.

Most of the best songs in Rebel Heart haven't and won't be singles.

But an album with good songs and no singles, is not a bad album.

What is what you don't like from Rebel Heart, the album?

Is it the "sound" actually important?

Do you think that she could sell any copy with exactly the same sound as True Blue album nowadays?

You've said her voice doesn't sound the same since American Life.

How old are you?

I'm old enough to know that people's voices change with age, and mine does.

Do you think that she could sing with the same voice as Like A Prayer nowadays?

Nevermind...

You didn't like Rebel Heart album (I'm not in the mood to discuss about complete era).

Good for you!

But seriously, from the respect... Are you trying to convince people of something?

Or are you trying to convince yourself of something?

I'm also not in the mood to discuss about Confessions era.

So, here my intervention ends.

Good night, my dear fans!

And good night, @@patriziagucci