Ranking the Tracks: Like a Prayer

anel_

• 3 weeks later...

Man, that's difficult. I love all of the tracks. I even think Act of Contrition is the track that makes the whole record. Just imagining Madonna at the pearly gates in heaven: "I HAVE a reservation!!" - it cracks me up every time. Oh and I quite like Prince, so I have a high tolerance for Love Song. So even if I list Cherish as my LEAST favorite, it's still like an A minus competing with A plusses. But anyway:

1. Like a Prayer
  2. Till Death Do Us Part
  3. Oh Father
  4. Promise to Try
  5. Spanish Eyes
  6. Express Yourself
  7. Dear Jessie
  8. Keep It Together
  9. Love Song
  10. Act of Contrition
  11. Cherish 

• 10 months later...

I'm not enchanted in the first listen in 2009 (except for Like a Prayer, Oh Father and Express Yourself), but this year, i took a another chance and i like very well this album. Her most personal album to his career. The whole album was a moody ambiance of this album and a maturity of the lyrics of the songs of the album. She tooks many risks and she included differents musics styles of this album, more than any other albums before.

1. Like a Prayer (One of the most strongest songs of his career, i love the risk to push to ambiance to a pop/Rock (instead to her dance-pop of her previous singles), with also a chorale during the song, A masterpiece. The video, depiste her controversy, was also beautiful and it's like a movie in the video),

2. Till Death to us Part (I love the dark ambiance of the lyrics (to talk about the divorce with Sean Penn),with a pop/Rock/funky ambiance, the harmony of the bridge (Speaking/Singing melange) was beautiful and strongest and help to convey the message of this difficult period, One of the most honest song of her career)

3. Oh Father (Like Till Death to us Part, one of the most honest song about her relation with his father. It's touching me so much, it's also described my relation with my father and i love the moody ambiance. A very strong ballad and a strong message for many peoples live a difficult relation with her father)

4. Spanish Eyes (A another very strong ballad, talking about her lost of his friends of AIDS. This ballad, influenced with latino, was very melancolic and i love this latino ambiance, started exploring with La Isla Bonita, depist this was different of this song)

5. Express Yourself (A excellent song, with a very good beat and with the lyrics describes the emacipation of a woman. The remix of Pettibone was re-up the song and was better to the album version, the music video was also excellent)

6. Keep it Together (a Very good dance-pop song, with a good chorus and a very good message about her family).

7. Promise to Try (a very sad song in piano and voice, about the lost of her mother. It's make the tears of my eyes after each listens, The most sad and touching song of this album)

8. Cherish (A good song, with more light music and lyrics. It's remain at his True Blue period with this song, with her lyrics and her lighting of the song. The music video was more beautiful, with her, dancing with the mermaids)

9. Dear Jessie (I like the violon part of the song and the music video, but this song was not exceptionnal)

10. Love song (i hate this song, very bad song)

11. Act of Contrition (Not my style of song)