Have always front row seats been so expensive?

ernnesto

I have been a Madonna fan since Ray of Light and my first time seeing her was on the Confessions tour at Phoenix Arizona. Since ever then I have been attending to all tours and trying to buy always front row seats and I have also noticed how tickets increase their prices whenever a new tour era comes out. 

I wonder if prices have always been this crazy expensive for front row seats? does anyone remember how much did you pay for all concerts you have attended? I know its a matter economy prices changing every year but,  how much did front row attendance paid for example on the Girlie Show, or Drowned World Tour?

The value of going to a concert has changed. Back in the 80's, most people would not pay more than $15 - $20 for a ticket to any show except older legends like Frank Sinatra. Pretty sure there was no ticketing tier system. It was generally one price for all. Madonna type shows (more theatrical) were rare, the effects, costumes and sets were generally minimal in most concerts. So there was no desire to pay hundreds of dollars to see a band play with a cool light show.

The Virgin Tour was $15USD roughly or or $35USD today.

Who's that Girl? was around $20 - $23USD (depending if you saw her in a stadium or arena) which is roughly $50

Blond Ambition was a flat $30USD - $32USD (depending on location). With inflation that comes to roughly $60 now.

The tier system began around Girlie Show, with Gold Circle ticket prices. I remember in Australia the Gold Circle was around $200AUD which is $380AUD today or about $240 US.

Interestlingly there was a newspaper article from 1990 that said Madonna charged more in Japan (around $40 - $45USD) than the US because the market demand was high enough. This helped make up for a loss the show would experience throughout the US as a result of operating costs for the tour being higher than the revenue. She also charged slightly higher in Europe.

In 1993 I know Mexico, Australia and some others had 3 or 4 ticketing tiers and I think Europe and the US had maybe two. I think by 2001 with Drowned World the expensive front row ticket and tier system was in place everywhere.

It is worth noting that the cost to produce a Madonna show went up quite a bit compared to the 1980's. 

On 4/16/2020 at 1:42 AM, me1981 said:

The value of going to a concert has changed. Back in the 80's, most people would not pay more than $15 - $20 for a ticket to any show except older legends like Frank Sinatra. Pretty sure there was no ticketing tier system. It was generally one price for all. Madonna type shows (more theatrical) were rare, the effects, costumes and sets were generally minimal in most concerts. So there was no desire to pay hundreds of dollars to see a band play with a cool light show.

The Virgin Tour was $15USD roughly or or $35USD today.

Who's that Girl? was around $20 - $23USD (depending if you saw her in a stadium or arena) which is roughly $50

Blond Ambition was a flat $30USD - $32USD (depending on location). With inflation that comes to roughly $60 now.

The tier system began around Girlie Show, with Gold Circle ticket prices. I remember in Australia the Gold Circle was around $200AUD which is $380AUD today or about $240 US.

Interestlingly there was a newspaper article from 1990 that said Madonna charged more in Japan (around $40 - $45USD) than the US because the market demand was high enough. This helped make up for a loss the show would experience throughout the US as a result of operating costs for the tour being higher than the revenue. She also charged slightly higher in Europe.

In 1993 I know Mexico, Australia and some others had 3 or 4 ticketing tiers and I think Europe and the US had maybe two. I think by 2001 with Drowned World the expensive front row ticket and tier system was in place everywhere.

It is worth noting that the cost to produce a Madonna show went up quite a bit compared to the 1980's. 

Thanks! and yes, show these days are also more expensive to build than before. 

She's not only got older but also more expensive. I have never ever been front row so I haven't experimented to see her that close or even touched her hand. Do I think I need it? Probably not. I've been lucky enough to be able to attend the last 4 concert tours with an amazing view of everything that happens onstage. Last time I was 6th row center at the Palladium. I can't ask for more really. As a fan my life is complete. I don't care if she decides to stop touring to be honest.

:smke:

Guest Nobody Knows Me
9 minutes ago, madgefan said:

She's not only got older but also more expensive. I have never ever been front row so I haven't experimented to see her that close or even touched her hand. Do I think I need it? Probably not. I've been lucky enough to be able to attend the last 4 concert tours with an amazing view of everything that happens onstage. Last time I was 6th row center at the Palladium. I can't ask for more really. As a fan my life is complete. I don't care if she decides to stop touring to be honest.

:smke:

Madame X Tour was my first Madonna tour so I hope there’ll be another tour in the future. However, I’m beyond grateful I finally got to see her, and would totally respect her decision if she stops touring.

• 11 months later...