Single Reissues Campaign - Causing a Commotion - OUT NOW

New_Boy

2 hours ago, dylanlioncourt said:

Erotica had a sloppy edit in the original pressings. 

3:26-28

Okay, I must have never heard the original pressing before because this sticks out like a sore thumb.

I really can't understand why they didn't simple use the radio edit instead of trying to recreate it, this is weird.

As the main topic is very dry I will keep talking about celebration, there are some apparently drafts from the concepts and new edits that were apparently cancelled and changed for the final product that is now but as much as we know that this recollection of her discography started in 2007 (I think?) the final product started late and used rough CD Masters and wrong versions, if they really had these test edits and stuff ready why would they not finally use them? I don't believe there were test cuts because her team is LAZY, if it wasn't for the change in Express Yourself (Q-Sound Mix) there would be no choppy new edit, in my opinion the entire album should have been Q-Sound if that was how they were gonna do it

Speaking Of Celebration, In 2009 I bought a pirate CD Of Celebration 2CD and few years later when I heard online the album I was like what?? The pirate CD has different versións and edits Of the songs, Burning Up was the lasser versión but Revolver the versión was included on the cd was the demo version I think it's Not sung by Madonna and it's was very common In México That track list on pirate CD by the time

4 minutes ago, itzjak said:

Speaking Of Celebration, In 2009 I bought a pirate CD Of Celebration 2CD and few years later when I heard online the album I was like what?? The pirate CD has different versións and edits Of the songs, Burning Up was the lasser versión but Revolver the versión was included on the cd was the demo version I think it's Not sung by Madonna and it's was very common In México That track list on pirate CD by the time

They probably took whatever they found online. The "Revolver" demo was leaked weeks before the album release, to try to generate some hype and push M's team to include it (first unreleased track was always going to be "Celebration" but for the second one she had either "Revolver" or "It's So Cool" or "Broken (I'm Sorry"). In the end "Revolver" won).

Just now, MikeyK said:

And then, weirdly, for the original Immaculate VHS release they replaced the video remix audio w/an edit of the album/7” version (with local mix intro).

There are two versions for this change:

Version 1: There were many complaints from people who bought the single and got upset because the version on the single wasn't the one from the video. Therefore, they made an alternate video with the single version (7'' Remix) to stop the complaints. Paradoxically, when people bought The Immaculate Video Collection, there were many complaints because it wasn't the original version of the video.

Version 2: The alternate video ended up in The Immaculate Collection because it censored the sexual scenes of the music video, thus getting a PG rating for all audiences.

Perhaps both versions of the story happened: the alternate video was created because the remix wasn't on the single, and that caused many complaints from people who bought the single. And since this alternate version didn't contain the sexual scenes, it ended up in The Immaculate Collection to have a PG rating for all audiences.

22 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Version 1: There were many complaints from people who bought the single and got upset because the version on the single wasn't the one from the video. Therefore, they made an alternate video with the single version (7'' Remix) to stop the complaints. Paradoxically, when people bought The Immaculate Video Collection, there were many complaints because it wasn't the original version of the video.

Version 2: The alternate video ended up in The Immaculate Collection because it censored the sexual scenes of the music video, thus getting a PG rating for all audiences.

Perhaps both versions of the story happened: the alternate video was created because the remix wasn't on the single, and that caused many complaints from people who bought the single. And since this alternate version didn't contain the sexual scenes, it ended up in The Immaculate Collection to have a PG rating for all audiences.

Im pretty sure the alternate version was played on Vh1 back in the day. I have read they made a censored version after the initial premiere in 1989 because Vh1 wouldn’t play the original. Perhaps it just seemed logical to use the 7” remix at that point as that was what radio was playing? The idea that Madonna fans complained or had meltdowns over the wrong version doesn’t seem that far fetched though :laughing:

2 hours ago, Prayer said:

They probably took whatever they found online. The "Revolver" demo was leaked weeks before the album release, to try to generate some hype and push M's team to include it (first unreleased track was always going to be "Celebration" but for the second one she had either "Revolver" or "It's So Cool" or "Broken (I'm Sorry"). In the end "Revolver" won).

To be honest it seemed like longer than a few weeks. I remember hearing that demo with the other singer ages before Madonna’s version. Could have even been before the Celebration single came.

22 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Im pretty sure the alternate version was played on Vh1 back in the day. I have read they made a censored version after the initial premiere in 1989 because Vh1 wouldn’t play the original. Perhaps it just seemed logical to use the 7” remix at that point as that was what radio was playing? The idea that Madonna fans complained or had meltdowns over the wrong version doesn’t seem that far fetched though :laughing:

That's the key: I never said the fans complained. I said the general public who bought the single complained because the single wasn't the remix from the video. Fans were excited about the 7'' Remix because it was an improved album version.

In Europe, we always saw the original video. I only saw the alternate version once on a show dedicated to Madonna many years later, but it seemed like the videos were taken from The Immaculate Video Collection DVD.

3 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

You are right. Track 2 & 3 are ℗ 1987. I thought Track 2 & 3 were also ℗ 2009.

Kudos to my ears for recognizing the "Celebration" remastering on track 1 even since the Apple Music NZ previews of the single. :smile:

Guess being traumatized by that project for 15 years has some positive side to it.

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

Also, by adding an extra option, they may already have a rejected/alternative master with on their assets and use it on purpose or by mistake. Sometimes labels/artists have alternative cuts/versions on their archive that they just don't have any reason to use. Idk

2 minutes ago, Harrdust said:

Also, by adding an extra option, they may already have a rejected/alternative master with on their assets and use it on purpose or by mistake. Sometimes labels/artists have alternative cuts/versions on their archive that they just don't have any reason to use. Idk

It could be, but it seems clear from the information that came out that it was a later edition after the release of the original video.

Also, if you notice, the audio quality is not good in the alternative version, as if they used an inferior source from the original master (vinyl?). By using the multitrack, they could have had the complete album version or 7'' version without needing to cut anything from the video. Instead, it seems they rushed it by grabbing the first audio source they found.

8 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

It could be, but it seems clear from the information that came out that it was a later edition after the release of the original video.

Also, if you notice, the audio quality is not good in the alternative version, as if they used an inferior source from the original master (vinyl?). By using the multitrack, they could have had the complete album version or 7'' version without needing to cut anything from the video. Instead, it seems they rushed it by grabbing the first audio source they found.

I think you were referring to the Laserdisc version of EY on IC, which sounded bad, together with Lucky Star, I think.

Possibly? 

Dress You Up (24 July)

1.Dress You Up 

2. Dress You Up (12" Formal Mix)

3. Dress You Up (The Casual Instrumental Mix) 

Dream ♥️ maybe bonus track Remix / Edit added? 

Also this on 24 August or something like that for Causing A Commotion? 

Causing A Commotion 

1. Causing A Commotion (Silver Screen Single Mix)

2. Causing A Commotion (Silver Screen Mix) 

3. Causing A Commotion (Movie House Mix) 

4. Causing A Commotion (Dub Version) 

Maybe those too

2. Causing A Commotion (Movie House Edit)

5. Jimmy Jimmy (Fade) 

???? 

Also I expect this for Cherish 

1. Cherish (7" Version)

2. Cherish (Extended Version) 

3. Supernatural

7 minutes ago, Roy said:

I think you were referring to the Laserdisc version of EY on IC, which sounded bad, together with Lucky Star, I think.

EY on TIC sounds bad in any format (VHS, LD, DVD). Lucky Star (the edited version) sounds like a regular 1983 video without being remastered. I don't know how to explain the difference better. People love The Immaculate Video Collection, but for me, it's full of mistakes.

2 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

EY on TIC sounds bad in any format (VHS, LD, DVD). Lucky Star (the edited version) sounds like a regular 1983 video without being remastered. I don't know how to explain the difference better. People love The Immaculate Video Collection, but for me, it's full of mistakes.

Imagine the meltdowns with "TIC" with music forums in 1990. Plus the endless comments about the new Q-Sound mixes on the audio version.

"Justify My Love" was shocking at first listen too, I'm sure? "She doesn't sing, she talks!".

Somehow we were all much happier pre-Internet, right?

4 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Lord, please don't make me think about the DVD release...

1 minute ago, Prayer said:

Imagine the meltdowns with "TIC" with music forums in 1990. Plus the endless comments about the new Q-Sound mixes on the audio version.

"Justify My Love" was shocking at first listen too, I'm sure? "She doesn't sing, she talks!".

Somehow we were all much happier pre-Internet, right?

Hahaha, my best friend was tired of hearing my complaints about Madonna:

TIC DOESN'T HAVE THE ORIGINAL EY VIDEO

THE JAPANESE BOX DOESN'T HAVE EY (7'' REMIX) NOR OYH (REMIX)

I CAN ONLY BUY VINYL SINGLES IN SPAIN, AND I WANT CD SINGLES.

Oh, the pre-internet era...

Just now, Aiwa08 said:

"THESE AIN'T THE EDITS I REMEMBER."

I will say, IC was revolutionary as it is one of the few albums mixed in Q-sound, which became a stepping stone towards spatial audio mixing that we know today.

Q-sound still holds up to this day, even with new speakers and headphones/earphones. Whoever thought it was a good idea to make the twinkling sound in the beginning of LS go in circles is a genius.

12 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Spain? Spain is beautiful! 

Aside, I can't imagine that era for you all, at least I bet you have some of the Spain promo singles like Holiday, Pray For Spanish Eyes 

4 minutes ago, Roy said:

I will say, IC was revolutionary as it is one of the few albums mixed in Q-sound, which became a stepping stone towards spatial audio mixing that we know today.

Q-sound still holds up to this day, even with new speakers and headphones/earphones. Whoever thought it was a good idea to make the twinkling sound in the beginning of LS go in circles is a genius.

That "Lucky Star" start effect is also present on the "Celebration" version and is HEAVENLY.

Yep, "TIC" was really ahead of its time, and looking back it was absolutely revolutionary to present her hits in a brand new way instead of using the single edits or even the album versions, which is what literally any other artist would have done. That was a greatest hits compilation, not a remixes album. Yet she managed to do both at the same time. It really showed she was interested in the future and not so much in the past.

And it's easy to laugh at Q-Sound now but in 1990? So ahead of its time, especially with Dolby Atmos now, yes.

Just now, Prayer said:

That "Lucky Star" start effect is also present on the "Celebration" version and is HEAVENLY.

Yep, "TIC" was really ahead of its time, and looking back it was absolutely revolutionary to present her hits in a brand new way instead of using the single edits or even the album versions, which is what literally any other artist would have done. That was a greatest hits compilation, not a remixes album. Yet she managed to do both at the same time. It really showed she was interested in the future and not so much in the past.

And it's easy to laugh at Q-Sound now but in 1990? So ahead of its time, especially with Dolby Atmos now, yes.

TIC(K) was so iconic in it's time and still is. Imagine your 2 successors still haven't catched the idea greatly and you still leave them in the dust at least for most people 

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Causing a Commotion - OUT NOW