Madonna sued for ‘false advertising’ after starting Brooklyn concerts 2 hours late

Askeroff

On 1/22/2024 at 5:07 AM, scion said:

That isn't being a fan, that's being obsessive and it's unhealthy..being a fan is appreciating her art. Some here it's almost creepy as they're beyond obsessed. If you spend so much of your time defending a woman you don't know to obsessive level, and can't tolerate the varying options of others that isn't healthy... It's actually pretty pathetic and certainly pretty sad.

You seem to have hit a nerve. The obsessives among us are starting to spasm.

On 1/22/2024 at 6:45 PM, Blue Jean said:

It’s pretty absurd suing Madonna over this and I hope it goes nowhere because they seem like an attention seeker.

However the comments she’s getting online are overwhelmingly negative. And that is mostly not from haters but people who actually attended and were annoyed by it. It is only the hardcore fans like us defending her. I do think she should manage to get on stage by 10 at the very latest. Yes it’s been going on a long time but it has hurt her touring reputation.

I noticed that as well.  I think some people just ideally want an example set out of her for famous people being out of touch with regular folks.  Or at least that's what they're commenting.  

I mean for me it is what it is to see her.  Costs, her reputation for being late, having to take off from work, finding hotel room, etc....   all added up for me to just enjoy watching clips from YouTube or a friend that made it out.  Not gonna put myself through that.

Still think the lawsuit is laughable.  

36 minutes ago, Blue Skies said:

I noticed that as well.  I think some people just ideally want an example set out of her for famous people being out of touch with regular folks.  Or at least that's what they're commenting.  

A lot of it I saw was from people with first hand experience of Madonna being late. It’s been going on for over 10 years now so it’s well  beyond just haters putting in their two cents. (Although there are plenty of those too.)

Madonna & Live Nation Fire Back At Lawsuit Over Concert Delays, Say They Will ‘Defend This Case Vigorously’

https://www.billboard.com/business/business-news/madonna-live-nation-respond-lawsuit-over-concert-delays-1235588415/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Madonna-The-Celebration-Tour-London-oct-

Days after fans accused the star of breaking the law by starting concerts too late, her reps say they plan to fight back.

Madonna’s management team and Live Nation responded Wednesday to a high-profile lawsuit claiming the music legend harmed her fans by starting New York City concerts later than scheduled, disputing some allegations and saying they plan to “defend this case vigorously.”

The response statement came after days of silence regarding the proposed class action lawsuit, in which two fans claim the star and the concert giant breached their contract with concertgoers and violated New York state laws by starting three December shows in Brooklyn more than two hours later than the schedule

In their joint statement, Madonna’s reps and Live Nation said that the just-completed European leg of her Celebration Tour had “received rave reviews” and vowed the fight back against the lawsuit’s allegations.

“The shows opened in North America at Barclays in Brooklyn as planned, with the exception of a technical issue December 13th during soundcheck,” Madonna’s reps and Live Nation said. “This caused a delay that was well documented in press reports at the time. We intend to defend this case vigorously.”

Ticket buyers Michael Fellows and Jonathan Hadden filed their case last week, claiming that the delays — starting at 10:30 pm rather than the scheduled 8:30 pm — caused real legal harm to ticket buyers who, among other things, “had to get up early to go to work” the next day.

“Defendants’ actions constitute not just a breach of their contracts … but also a wanton exercise in false advertising, negligent misrepresentation, and unfair and deceptive trade practices,” attorneys for the two men wrote in their complaint, filed in Brooklyn federal court.

The three concerts at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center, stops on Madonna’s Celebration Tour, were originally scheduled for July but rescheduled to December due to the singer’s illness. Fellows and Hadden said they expected their show (Dec. 13) to start on time, and “would not have paid for their tickets had they known that the concerts would start after 10:30 p.m.”

“Defendants failed to provide any notice to the ticketholders that the concerts would start much later than the start time printed on the ticket and as advertised,” attorneys for the two men wrote.

Leaving Barclays Center after 1:00 a.m., the two men claimed ticket buyers were “left stranded in the middle of the night,” some “confronted with limited public transportation” options and others with increased prices for ride-share services. They also pointed out that the concert took place “on a weeknight,” meaning they “had to get up early to go to work and/or take care of their family responsibilities the next day.”

Can fans really sue over that? When they formally respond in court, Madonna and Live Nation will probably challenge many of the lawsuit’s claims by arguing that concert fans are on notice that live events sometimes start a little later than scheduled. They could also point to contractual provisions in ticket contracts that could give performers some leeway for unexpected delays.

In addition to Madonna herself, the lawsuit also named Live Nation and Barclays Center as defendants. In technical terms, the complaint alleged breach of contract; violation of New York’s business practices and false advertising laws; and several other forms of wrongdoing, including unjust enrichment.

The lawsuit also included a claim of so-called negligent misrepresentation, saying the concert organizers “knew or should have known” that the concerts would not start at 8:30 because of alleged past instances of Madonna taking the stage late — and should have warned fans.

“Madonna has a long history of arriving and starting her concerts late, sometimes several hours late,” attorneys for Fellows and Hadden wrote. “This history occurred throughout her 2016 Rebel Heart Tour, her 2019-2020 Madame X Tour, and prior tours, where Madonna continuously started her concerts over two hours late.”

Attorneys for Fellows and Hadden did not return a request for comment on Wednesday’s response statement.

1 hour ago, DickTracy said:

There's so many ways to do it, so many ways to see, but the only way to do it

is to do it vigorously

All they have to do is present what time the DJ came on stage those nights.  Again, the ticket doesn't say "Madonna will take the stage at 8:30".  It simply says "the show starts" then.  Madonna is providing that additional entertainment. You can't tell me that the "defendants" couldn't work that out, being she had already been on the road for three months now.  It's no different than Madonna providing an opening act. 

And I call "bullshit" when the 'defendants' claim they couldn't find transportation. It's NEW YORK, not some hick town where everything closes at a certain time.  Ridiculous! 

3 hours ago, DickTracy said:

Sadly it is a thing now to look out for opportunities to exploit for financial gain/attention. I don't think these gworlls are trying to "fix a problem" or help the fanbase but tbh it was nice getting home before 1AM last night. 

I really don't think that's the case here. They have successfully made their point.

Hopefully, this issue finally sinks in for her because it's quite the unprofessional look.

I'm not as affected by it but no other top-tier touring artist does this to their audience.

When people tell me about Madonna being late, I always reply the same thing: tickets for Madonna are EXPENSIVE. If you are willing to make that effort you either are a die-hard fand (in which case you already know for sure she'll be late and you plan in advance or just assume the consequences) or you are fucking rich and don't care, in wich case you can screw yourself, you're rich, deal with it.

That doesn't mean I think it's OK for her to be consistently late, I just think there should be a reasonable thinking behind these cases, and this lawsuit is just Karen behavior. The stories I have heard bout Madame X tour are something else tho...

I go to see her, I know since the moment the tour is announced she'll be AT LEAST an hour late, I plan in advance, I get the next day free, I have the biggest experience of my life because she's everything to me and I don't fucking care about being sleepy.

On 1/19/2024 at 8:49 AM, McDonna said:

This is were the problem will lie.  No ticket says "Madonna will start" at 8:30.  It just says the "show starts" and the fact she provides an opening DJ, by 8:30 or shortly after, I can see this being thrown out.

I have to laugh because if these people were so upset to the point they would sue, why go to all three concerts?  And you can't tell me that they didn't know beforehand she would be late since most every show before was reported she didn't take the stage until 10 pm or after.  Not only that, this has been the case for the last several tours.  Even those who aren't big fans knew just word of mouth she wouldn't' be taking the stage until 10 pm.

I guess they could argue over what is on the ticket and advertising. The only people advertised on anything, either tickets or billboards/ flyers, that I could see, are Madonna and Bob the Drag Queen. So they could argue the show doesn't start until they hit the stage.

Effectively saying that an opening act they didn't know they were getting when they paid for the tickets is not part of the show and not considered the start of the advertised show. If Bob the Drag Queen came out for a 2 hour set, game over.

I do think this will be thrown out but I can also see a lawyer arguing the above if needed.