Beautiful Stranger- Happy 25th anniversary

This was such a cool track. Loved the 60s psychedelia rock vibe with throwbacks to Iron Butterfly, The Doors and Stones. Can't quite remember where I was when I heard it first, probably had MTV on when I was at my parents. At the time, I was living in a crappy bed and breakfast in Stamford Hill in London and didn't have TV or even radio, but I went out to a lot to indie/alternative clubs and Beautiful Stranger always got played in its original form - not the shitty Calderone mix - and you could play it in between Blur, Suede, Pulp, Hole, Smashing Pumpkins or even Marilyn Manson's The Beautiful People and it worked so well. It was awesome her tracks up until Music got so much club play at those places, but since then nothing else really fit the vibe they way Beautiful Stranger and Ray of Light did.

I remember I was a little dissapointed about realizing the Ray of Light era was ending, and no tour were happening, I watched the video on MTV, I was going to start secundary school and I used a Discman to keep my music with me , by those days I had my first CD burner and used to make playlist or compilation cds with all the new songs I liked those days, I can't believe is 25 years now, and the show is over..... :hallwaylaugh: 

It's a gem of a song.  One of her best.  In fact, I recall radio playing the hell out of this in the U.S., more than any of ROL singles.  I was still listening to radio a lot back then.  I recall being disappointed that ROL was never played much and I only recall Frozen played a few times too.  Though Beautiful Stranger was played constantly.  MTV played the video a lot as well.  But of course Austin Powers was a huge box office movie as well, so it didn't hurt to be tied to that.  i agree she looked damn good and very cool.  The song clearly would have been a #1 for her in the U.S., if a single was actually released. 

• RUADJAI featured this topic

This is my thread 🥰 if each threads of this forum were a room and we had to chose one to live in i would make my whole life in this one 🥰🥰🥰 "Beautiful Stranger" is my fav Madonna era with "American pie". I was 17yo in 1999, that was the best year of my life. I was leaving the teenage world qnd was slowly entering in the adult world, i loved loved loved that time, and of course Madonna was there, most beautiful than ever, with a honey like voice, being played 14/7 on tv and radio with a happy and delicious 70's influenced meet 1999 pop track. It is everything. The music, her voice, her clothes, the colors of the video, her hair... "Beautiful stranger" has the #1 spot in my heart for ever. Best thread 😍

5 hours ago, Blue Skies said:

Per Wikipedia the single was released May 19, 1999.  I liked the song then and now.  Holds up just as well/is as fresh.   One of my favorite non studio album singles of hers.   Supposedly the song was about Andrew Byrd but I recall in a Rosie interview she said it was about someone trying to find love from a different generation or something like that.

I don’t recall that Rosie interview but listening to the song I’d assume it was written especially for the movie?

Anyway, I absolutely LOVE this song. She was untouchable in that period from 1998 to 2002. I hope she performs this song on tour again.

I use Madonna eras to help me gauge what I was doing, who I was dating and where I was working etc. This era, I was coming to the end of my first relationship with a man; was working in a factory building car seats, and danced at a place called Boots. Those were the days

13 minutes ago, Robertthenurse said:

I use Madonna eras to help me gauge what I was doing, who I was dating and where I was working etc. This era, I was coming to the end of my first relationship with a man; was working in a factory building car seats, and danced at a place called Boots. Those were the days

Interesting, around that same time (end of the millennium) I was about to be diagnosed to a severe, deterrant form of OCD...

6 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I don’t recall that Rosie interview but listening to the song I’d assume it was written especially for the movie?

Anyway, I absolutely LOVE this song. She was untouchable in that period from 1998 to 2002. I hope she performs this song on tour again.

At 6:45 below she talks a little about it

• Jackie unfeatured this topic