Adonna chatroom

Just now, Adonna said:

Where are you located because I honestly don't recall it EVER being played on radio in the U.S. where I live, but I do suspect bigger cities did play it a bit more. 

Oh I'm in the UK , Great Britain , England , her second home and we want her back now haha! 

Yeah it was always on our radio station and number one on the charts a few weeks too

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, ChromaticanMondasia said:

Oh I'm in the UK , Great Britain , England , her second home and we want her back now haha! 

Yeah it was always on our radio station and number one on the charts a few weeks too

Ahh that makes sense. It was more successful in the UK.  Pretty wild being an American classic and it figures that the U.S. wasn't too appreciative to it her version.  At the end of the day, I think she sounds lovely on the song and I actually like her vocals on it better than the original.

Just now, Adonna said:

Ahh that makes sense. It was more successful in the UK.  Pretty wild being an American classic and it figures that the U.S. wasn't too appreciative to it her version.  At the end of the day, I think she sounds lovely on the song and I actually like her vocals on it better than the original.

I think in the UK we were harsh on It too it was a song sadly that got a lot of trashing and also pointed out she hated doing covers yet now it's one of her biggest hits and number 1 here-

Into the Groove, Papa don't Preach, True Blue, La Isla Bonita, Who's That Girl, Like a Prayer, Vogue, Frozen, Music, American Pie, Hung Up, Sorry and 4 Minutes are her 13 number 1s here 

Anyways SNL which is a us show doesn't waste money making a parody of something unknown. American Pie was definitely a thing in America.

Not everyone sticking their finger In her butt crack and using Madonna for party tricks 😂 Kinda nailed the polite Madonna voice in this for me

1 hour ago, Adonna said:

Yes take a look at the American Pie video which was filmed nearly around the time the Superbowl took place.  My guess she could have been further along than she knew being that Rocco was due in October, but as you know doctors aren't always precise.  She obviously had complications and had him in August, but we do see a bit of a bump in that video.  Still, she was very active, so I can't see why she would pull out due to her pregnancy.  Anyway, it makes sense she declined to her busty schedule with her in the studio recording MUSIC. :)

Yep, I see it!!!! Too cool!!! She sure had a glow too at the time. :heart:

10 minutes ago, ChromaticanMondasia said:

Oh my days Madonna always getting a parody haha

Unfortunately, that wasn't done in Madonna's favor.  Trust me, American Pie was hardly on the U.S. minds when Madonna released it, other than some hard core fans.  I wish I could say different. because it's one of her greatest vocals.  The only savior she had was that Don Mclean complimented her version, but that was long after a lot of criticism. 

1 minute ago, Adonna said:

Unfortunately, that wasn't done in Madonna's favor.  Trust me, American Pie was hardly on the U.S. minds when Madonna released it, other than some hard core fans.  I wish I could say different. because it's one of her greatest vocals.  The only savior she had was that Don Mclean complimented her version, but that was long after a lot of criticism. 

There's so many numbers 1s I wish that topped the chart like I always thought Like a Virgin, Holiday, Material Girl, Open your Heart, Express Yourself, Cherish, This Used to be My Playground, Take a Bow, Ray of Light, Power of Goodbye, Nothing Really Matters, Beautiful Stranger, Don't Tell Me, Die another Day were number 1 here when I was younger as they were always played 

11 hours ago, ChromaticanMondasia said:

Oh my days Madonna always getting a parody haha

Not nessasarily. Only times when she was big will she get a parody on snl. Nothing for most eras tbh. Like you don't see a love profusion paradoy from the or anything. Madonna was just big relevant and the queen at that time. American Pie had enough impact to be a moment in 2000 worldwide

Just now, ChromaticanMondasia said:

There's so many numbers 1s I wish that topped the chart like I always thought Like a Virgin, Holiday, Material Girl, Open your Heart, Express Yourself, Cherish, This Used to be My Playground, Take a Bow, Ray of Light, Power of Goodbye, Nothing Really Matters, Beautiful Stranger, Don't Tell Me, Die another Day were number 1 here when I was younger as they were always played 

I think very similar regarding U.S Charts.  The fact Into The Groove didn't score a #1 in the U.S. was highway robbery.  The fact it didn't ge a physical single, kept it from doing so.  Beautiful Stranger suffered the same fate. 

But let's remember some of the biggest and iconic songs never reached #1 if even top 10.  Madonna's "Holiday" is one of her most well known and iconic song but upon it's initial release, it didn't even reach top 10.  It took a couple re-releases before that happened in certain regions. 

10 minutes ago, Tudors said:

Not nessasarily. Only times when she was big will she get a parody on snl. Nothing for most eras tbh. Like you don't see a love profusion paradoy from the or anything. Madonna was just big relevant and the queen at that time. American Pie had enough implant to be a moment in 2000 worldwide

That's right haha love it

9 minutes ago, Adonna said:

I think very similar regarding U.S Charts.  The fact Into The Groove didn't score a #1 in the U.S. was highway robbery.  The fact it didn't ge a physical single, kept it from doing so.  Beautiful Stranger suffered the same fate. 

But let's remember some of the biggest and iconic songs never reached #1 if even top 10.  Madonna's "Holiday" is one of her most well known and iconic song but upon it's initial release, it didn't even reach top 10.  It took a couple re-releases before that happened in certain regions. 

Oh I know it's crazy I was shook I mean in 2003 her songs were everywhere it shocked me when years later I read American life underperformed and she got threats etc it's crazy ?! 

23 minutes ago, ChromaticanMondasia said:

Oh I know it's crazy I was shook I mean in 2003 her songs were everywhere it shocked me when years later I read American life underperformed and she got threats etc it's crazy ?! 

Yeah, it's crazy because it annoyed me how Hung Up was doing so well everywhere else accept the U.S.  I remember calling into a radio station to request Hung Up and they said "NO" and hung up on me.  As the 2000's progressed, radio hated her more and more. That's CORPORATE America for you.

Just now, Adonna said:

Yeah, it's crazy because it annoyed me how Hung Up was doing so well everywhere else accept the U.S.  I remember calling into a radio station to request Hung Up and they said "NO" and hung up on me.  As he 2000's progressed, radio hated her more and more. That's CORPORATE America for you.

It's so strange Hung Up was number 1 for weeks here ! So was Sorry! Confessions was huge one of her biggest albums it's crazy the USA snubbed her so much 

3 minutes ago, ChromaticanMondasia said:

It's so strange Hung Up was number 1 for weeks here ! So was Sorry! Confessions was huge one of her biggest albums it's crazy the USA snubbed her so much 

Exactly.  Sorry was another song I loved and thought should have been a huge top 10 hit for her in the U.S.  But at this time, corporate radio stations were hating on Madonna. They refused to play a lot of her new music by then.  Of course, some of the bigger cities still did so because they had a lot of dance oriented stations, but smaller states and communities never heard these songs on the radio. 

Die Another Day was the last song I heard on my top 40 radio stations on a regular basis. It wasn't until "4 Minutes" was release I head Madonna on the radio again. After that, nothing!

10 hours ago, Drownedboy said:

So it was because of her age, or because the american life controversy? What do you think?

7 hours ago, littlestartman said:

Both + Radio was all about RnB and Dance music was niche. It all changed around 2009 with gaga/rihanna and the EDM acts

Totally agree.  Also, the media was making sure the public knew of the video that she pulled.  Then she did promo interviews and she questioned about the current state of affairs and between the album cover and her age, the public got the wrong perception of the album and corporate radio was less and less willing to play her. 

American Pie was a moderate hit in the US...for a song without a physical single it did well. It was top 40 peaking at 29 with just radio play  so had there been a single I'm gonna say it would've for sure been top 20 and MAYBE peak at #10 if it sold well. Definitely not as big as Beautiful Stranger but at the time it wasnt hated or anything like that. I think her paying it dust and all this weird hatred of her has definitely rewritten history. 

• Tudors changed the title to Adonna chatroom
  • Jackie locked this topic