Wasn't Madonna gonna perform American Pie at the superbowl in 2000

Tudors

How cool would have that been? She coulda wiggled her butt crack in front of an American flag in front everyone at the stadium and millions at home. Woulda definitely shot to number 1 for sure even tho Madonnas version is a classic. Even though she forgets it exists.. She needs to stop being to mean American Pie! It's such a classic and everyone loves it. Anyways what's the tea with this or is it a fever dream

It's been highly reported that she was supposed to perform but backed out due to recording commitments. Her manager Carese at the time issued a statement that she just wouldn't have enough time to put together a performance that would be up to the standards of the Superbowl.  I'm actually glad she didn't perform it because her version of "American Pie" really got a lot of mixed reception and I'd think she would have gotten ridiculed for it.  And these years later, we now know she really never wanted to record the song.  Rupert Everrett talked her into it.  I don't think she was really that happy with it either.  Though, I will say she sounds wonderful singing her version of it.  But I can understand why she brushes that song off now. It's really not her cup of tea.

Honestly speaking, her Super Bowl performance in 2012 was so amazing and literally close to the perfection... I ABSOLUTELY don't MIND she has never done this or that song previously. 

Gosh, it was so amazing it even made me like GMAYL for a moment... Very short moment, but still! It was like.. Imagine having BDay song from MDNA album as your the absolutely most favorite Madonna song for a moment (I know pretty unimaginable, but it happened.. For like 3 seconds to me with GMAYL after her 2012 Super Bowl show) 

It's okay us Brits in the UK adopted her for a decade during this time 

She didn't NEED the superbowl in 2000 I think she was asked again in 2006 but in 2012 she finally accepted the offer and the result was iconic for the MDNA era and her return to America really mid Obama years 

Until 2016 happened and she moved to Lisbon after Tr*mp and all those celebrity deaths and friends of hers ....but at least we got Madame X out of it 

8 hours ago, godonna said:

It's definitely a blessing she didn't do a halftime show in 2000. It would've been before Music was recorded, at a time she was paying dust to her 80s and 90s hits.

Her actual halftime show wasn't perfect but came at the right time. If not 2010 in conjunction with the Celebration era.

I would have to disagree. 2012 Half-time was perfect.  Also, the 2000 Half-time performance would have meant she would be sharing her time with other artists as they were asking her to be the only artist to perform.  That could have been another reason why she bailed as well.

I suspect that if she did perform "American Pie", she would have had a single in the U.S., and even without it, the performance would have definitely pushed it to top10 if not higher.  Radio would have been more inclined to play it as well.  We also have to remember she was coming off great success with Beautiful Stranger that previous summer.

For me, without that incredible entrance and Vogue, that 2012 Superbowl performance is very......

A Madonna halftime show 2005 or anytime prior would have demolished it. Imagine Blonde Ambition M or Confessions M at the Superbowl....game over. No questions asked.

American Pie would have been as thrilling as GAYL....

2 hours ago, Adonna said:

I would have to disagree. 2012 Half-time was perfect.  Also, the 2000 Half-time performance would have meant she would be sharing her time with other artists as they were asking her to be the only artist to perform.  That could have been another reason why she bailed as well.

I suspect that if she did perform "American Pie", she would have had a single in the U.S., and even without it, the performance would have definitely pushed it to top10 if not higher.  Radio would have been more inclined to play it as well.  We also have to remember she was coming off great success with Beautiful Stranger that previous summer.

The main downfall for me is she only gave time for 4 songs to shine, and one of them being GMAYL. I would've loved her to turn that performance into a 12 minute career retrospective, filling each minute with intricate fleeting references of her journey to that point.

This fanmade mix is a good example of how much more she could've packed in 12 minutes, without neglecting Vogue, Music and LAP.

40 minutes ago, godonna said:

The main downfall for me is she only gave time for 4 songs to shine, and one of them being GMAYL. I would've loved her to turn that performance into a 12 minute career retrospective, filling each minute with intricate fleeting references of her journey to that point.

This fanmade mix is a good example of how much more she could've packed in 12 minutes, without neglecting Vogue, Music and LAP.

GMAYL was tailored made for the Superbowl.  I know some fans take issue with that song, but it really is a relatable snappy fitting song for the Superbowl.  I can't see her really performing anything else from MDNA other than the other singles which most fans dislike anyway.  GGW seemed a bit too much for a SUPERBOWL.

I personally think she gave just the right amount of herself and music in that performance. Vogue, Music and LAP are all iconic songs from her, so other than throwing in Holiday, I think the show was fine as it is.  I don't think the general public would have liked that messy mash up you posted.  And that whole Gaga inclusion would have been a desperate attention for trying to cause more controversy between the two artists.  There is no way Madonna would want to take such an iconic moment like the Superbowl and put that on display.  Evenmore, the concept includes songs that haven't even been written or released.  LOL to including "Bitch I'm Madonna" when the song wasn't even written yet.  Also, I'd think a lot of fans would have taken issue if she shorten the songs anymore to squeeze in more songs.  Let's keep in mind the Superbowl was far more about appealing to the general public than hardcore fans who think they know what's best for Madonna.  The general public just wanted to see her perform some of her iconic hits.  I think most of the public would sorta expect if an artist had a new album coming out at the time, they would be plugging that as well. 

2 hours ago, Adonna said:

GMAYL was tailored made for the Superbowl.  I know some fans take issue with that song, but it really is a relatable snappy fitting song for the Superbowl.  I can't see her really performing anything else from MDNA other than the other singles which most fans dislike anyway.  GGW seemed a bit too much for a SUPERBOWL.

Give Me All Your Luvin' was the right choice for the Superbowl launch. Honestly the whole thing helped MDNA be as successful as it was. And what a feat at 30 years into her career to have a #1 album and a top #10 single. Girl Gone Wild is iconic regardless and helped keep the album around for the tour.

4 minutes ago, BoyToyMark said:

Give Me All Your Luvin' was the right choice for the Superbowl launch. Honestly the whole thing helped MDNA be as successful as it was. And what a feat at 30 years into her career to have a #1 album and a top #10 single. Girl Gone Wild is iconic regardless and helped keep the album around for the tour.

True!!! Got the vibes and I love it tbh! Probably her last single that I actually remember hearing on radios!