Adonna chatroom

Apparently she was set to perform American Pie before the show, not at halftime.

Madonna will perform her new cover of Don McLean’s “American Pie” for the first time at the pregame show for this year’s Super Bowl on Jan. 30, according to MTV News. (The single was recorded for the soundtrack of her upcoming movie “The Next Big Thing.”) Also singing as part of the “Great American Music of the 20th Century” pregame theme will be Tina Turner and Travis Tritt. At halftime the performers will be Christine Aguilera, Enrique Iglesias, and Phil Collins.

So it would have been very different to the 2012 event and that may have even happened afterward anyway.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Adonna said:

From what I gather, she wasn't supposed to be the sole act that year. And if I recall, i believe she was planned to open the game, rather be part of the Half-time as other acts were already planned for the Half-time event.  By then, she was already preparing for the Music album, so I can see the conflict. 

The queen doesn't share the stage with anyone!!!

Opening act for someone else?!?! how dare NPL! :Madonna034:

Especially when she's on top of the game during ROL era.

2 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I always believed it was because she fell pregnant. Or maybe it was because she realised the film was a dud and wanted to distance herself from it?

Oh yes!!!

She gave birth to Rocco on 11 Aug 2000 (1 month earlier).

Which means she had found out she's 1 month pregnant back in Jan 2000 and of course she rejected the invite.

1 hour ago, BoyToyMark said:

The only other time I think it could've been appropriate for her to do the Super Bowl was in 2002 after the success of Music and the Drowned World Tour. But U2 did it anyway.

I dont know: at that time she was like very distant from her pre bedtime stories persona. She kust returned to Vogue or other hits after American LIfe flopping big time.

8 minutes ago, Drownedboy said:

I dont know: at that time she was like very distant from her pre bedtime stories persona. She kust returned to Vogue or other hits after American LIfe flopping big time.

It's so funny to revisit those days now, her shading most of her older songs during that time or just having a look at the set list of the "Drowned World Tour" and only seeing "La Isla" and "Holiday" there (and I remember someone said they even have to convince her to put at least two old hits for the final section?).

WILD.

We've really come a long, long way.

2 minutes ago, Prayer said:

It's so funny to revisit those days now, her shading most of her older songs during that time or just having a look at the set list of the "Drowned World Tour" and only seeing "La Isla" and "Holiday" there (and I remember someone said they even have to convince her to put at least two old hits for the final section?).

WILD.

We've really come a long, long way.

She was in a very reborn state of mind. And really Rol Was so huge. I dont know if younger people understand what this álbum was at its time.

3 minutes ago, Drownedboy said:

She was in a very reborn state of mind. And really Rol Was so huge. I dont know if younger people understand what this álbum was at its time.

True, she was already in "f**k the past" mode even before the album was released (when talking to MTV's Kurt Loder she was very clear about it), but when the album exploded and got universal acclaim, she felt even more vindicated to not look back at all. Warner wanted to do a greatest hits compilation in 1999 but she managed to block that and only do a video version ("93:99") while promising them another whole studio album for the next 12 months (what ended up being "Music"). Also, she could have never done the "DWT" set list if she didn't come from two monster projects like "ROL" and "Music". The lack of older hits in the tour was mentioned all the time even in 2001 but she did it.

And yes, "ROL" is one of those eras you need to have lived there to fully get it. She was literally the coolest woman on Earth then and probably never before of after she had the same level of universal acclaim and acceptance from both critics and public. It was COOL to like Madonna.

5 minutes ago, Prayer said:

True, she was already in "f**k the past" mode even before the album was released (when talking to MTV's Kurt Loder she was very clear about it), but when the album exploded and got universal acclaim, she felt even more vindicated to not look back at all. Warner wanted to do a greatest hits compilation in 1999 but she managed to block that and only do a video version ("93:99") while promising them another whole studio album for the next 12 months (what ended up being "Music"). Also, she could have never done the "DWT" set list if she didn't come from two monster projects like "ROL" and "Music". The lack of older hits in the tour was mentioned all the time even in 2001 but she did it.

And yes, "ROL" is one of those eras you need to have lived there to fully get it. She was literally the coolest woman on Earth then and probably never before of after she had the same level of universal acclaim and acceptance from both critics and public. It was COOL to like Madonna.

True, and its super amazing if you knew the erotic backlash a few years before.

8 hours ago, LongIslandTea said:

The queen doesn't share the stage with anyone!!!

Opening act for someone else?!?! how dare NPL! :Madonna034:

Especially when she's on top of the game during ROL era.

I wasn't meaning she would have been an "opening act" for others.  She was asked to sing before the game started, rather during half-time.

4 hours ago, BoyToyMark said:

The only other time I think it could've been appropriate for her to do the Super Bowl was in 2002 after the success of Music and the Drowned World Tour. But U2 did it anyway.

I honestly think Madonna could have done 2002 BUT it would've made sense post 9/11 and that horrific change in landscape since that day 

She paid tribute on DWT to that horrifying day in history but it would've been a colossal deal to perform it at the superbowl ...just imagine that 

As for her tours Reinvention was the first time she acknowledged her hits but I do feel if she just wanted new stuff then her focus like ROL should've been push more bits and videos in Music album and for American Life to make sure each song hit the cultural g spot over and over again to ensure that lots of newer material got pushed out there 

10 minutes ago, LongIslandTea said:

Anyway, now we all know pregnancy was the main reason.

I doubt she let that be the case. An easy assumption, but she was only a couple months in. She would have been no more showing than how she showed in American Pie video.  I don't see how being in early pregnancy stage would have kept her from performing one song at the opening of the event.  After all, plenty of women have performed live way further along while pregnant. 

I'm sure her recording schedule was the case.  Then again, she could have just not wanted to do it, and used that as an excuse.

44 minutes ago, Adonna said:

I doubt she let that be the case. An easy assumption, but she was only a couple months in. She would have been no more showing than how she showed in American Pie video.  I don't see how being in early pregnancy stage would have kept her from performing one song at the opening of the event.  After all, plenty of women have performed live way further along while pregnant. 

I'm sure her recording schedule was the case.  Then again, she could have just not wanted to do it, and used that as an excuse.

Well, remember...the birth of Rocco was apparently VERY rough so who knows if it was a high risk pregnancy.

36 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Well, remember...the birth of Rocco was apparently VERY rough so who knows if it was a high risk pregnancy.

Yes, but the Superbowl was in January. She was merely a month or so in her pregnancy.  That didn't stop her hopping and dancing around the sound stage, bouncing all over Rupert Everett a week or so before when she was filming American Pie video. Keep in mind, she was originally due in October, but it's possible she was further along as she thought.  January would have made her like one month pregnant and she was already showing a little bump in the American Pie video which was filmed shortly before the Superbowl.  Also, she filmed the MUSIC video months later when she was nearly 5-6 months pregnant, and she was bouncing around at the strip club as well. 

I don't believe the pregnancy had anything to do with her not doing the Superbowl. I'm sure it has more to do with her recording schedule as it's been OFFICIALLY stated. I don't see the point of looking for other reasons to dispute it.  We know she was heavily in recording the Music album at that time.  Again, several months pregnant.  Appearing at the opening of the game, wouldn't require to put on a huge production as most who perform before, perform in a small area in the arena. 

On 7/3/2024 at 8:47 PM, maddy1111 said:

Honestly speaking, her Super Bowl performance in 2012 was so amazing and literally close to the perfection... I ABSOLUTELY don't MIND she has never done this or that song previously. 

Gosh, it was so amazing it even made me like GMAYL for a moment... Very short moment, but still! It was like.. Imagine having BDay song from MDNA album as your the absolutely most favorite Madonna song for a moment (I know pretty unimaginable, but it happened.. For like 3 seconds to me with GMAYL after her 2012 Super Bowl show) 

sorry to go off topic, but everytime i see Give Me All Your Lovin' shortened to GMAYL, i always thought of G-Mail lol

anybody else?

25 minutes ago, Adonna said:

Yes, but the Superbowl was in January. She was merely a month or so in her pregnancy.  That didn't stop her hopping and dancing around the sound stage, bouncing all over Rupert Everett a week or so before when she was filming American Pie video. Keep in mind, she was originally due in October, but it's possible she was further along as she thought.  January would have made her like one month pregnant and she was already showing a little bump in the American Pie video which was filmed shortly before the Superbowl.  Also, she filmed the MUSIC video months later when she was nearly 5-6 months pregnant, and she was bouncing around at the strip club as well. 

I don't believe the pregnancy had anything to do with her not doing the Superbowl. I'm sure it has more to do with her recording schedule as it's been OFFICIALLY stated. I don't see the point of looking for other reasons to dispute it.  We know she was heavily in recording the Music album at that time.  Again, several months pregnant.  Appearing at the opening of the game, wouldn't require to put on a huge production as most who perform before, perform in a small area in the arena. 

Except there's a difference in planning performances. Look how panicked she was filming dancing scenes for Evita pregnant with Lola. And like I said, we don't know what kind of pregnancy she had with Rocco other than there were apparently complications with the labor. Do I think it was only the pregnancy to drop out? No. But I definitely think that was a huge component. 

16 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Except there's a difference in planning performances. Look how panicked she was filming dancing scenes for Evita pregnant with Lola. And like I said, we don't know what kind of pregnancy she had with Rocco other than there were apparently complications with the labor. Do I think it was only the pregnancy to drop out? No. But I definitely think that was a huge component. 

Yeah, I'm gonna stick to the official statement where she was just busy with recording her album.  Makes sense.  Weird how we need to try to turn it into a "pregnancy excuse" when in reality she would have only been a month pregnant if she was really due in October. 

46 minutes ago, Alpha said:

It had to have been the baby. Imagine a pregnant Madonna trying to do what she did in 2012 lol. It woulda been amazing tho

• Tudors changed the title to Wasn't Madonna gonna perform American Pie at the superbowl in 2000? What would that set list look like?
30 minutes ago, Tudors said:

It had to have been the baby. Imagine a pregnant Madonna trying to do what she did in 2012 lol. It woulda been amazing tho

As have been pointed out... it wasn't the HALF-TIME performance she was asked to do. It was to sing at the opening ceremonies.  It wouldn't have been a huge production which definitely could have been another reason she declined other than being busy!  She was only a month in her pregnancy when game kicked off, and she would have been asked before that, so it's possible she may have not known she was pregnant at the time.  :kiss2:

• Tudors changed the title to Adonna chatroom
  • Jackie locked this topic