The Rebel Heart Tour - Official Album thread

Roy

19 members voted

1. 1. What do you think of the album / DVD?

• Amazing!
    • It's alright.
    • It's horrible!

So this is a constructed review based from the live concert special aired on Showtime (which we don't have here in the Philippines). This review consists of points and flaws and suggestions for improvement. Sit back and relax, I guess.

The Rebel Heart World Tour is her tenth concert in her music career in support of her recent album, Rebel Heart. The show, like her previous tours, tackles controversial topics like religion but unlike her previous tour which is the MDNA World Tour, this tour gives spotlight to not only her new songs from the album but also precious gems such as: Burning Up, True Blue, Deeper and Deeper, Like A Virgin and more. In some dates of her stop for the tour, she performs some songs not included in the setlist for the audience such as Fever, Secret, Take A Bow and Crazy For You (she performed it in the Philippines for the first time after her Re-Invention Tour, which she forgot that she did).

The live concert special aired on Showtime compiling some footage shot around the world. After it's premiere, it received some mixed reviews. Some praised it for a clear sounding soundboard, adding a little creativity with it (like including clips of fans singing) while others hated it for using too many video effects, which is a big factor to consider ever since the MDNA World Tour DVD release.

So here is my personal review, starting from the points:

1. UNCENSORED: Yes, it is filled with partial nudity, heavy swearing and religious imagery (Holy Water & Vogue and Devil Pray are both heavy with religion) and Showtime showed it in its full unedited glory. It may be irritating for some but for me, a little bit of explicit content from the show won't hurt.

2. MORE NATURAL SOUNDBOARD: The MDNA World Tour on DVD has many issues to deal with and one of them is the audio soundboard being too artificial due to the fake audience cheer added in. Yes, I hated that idea so much but hey, I still want the soundtrack and DVD though because of the songs. This, however, has a more natural sounding soundboard. I couldn't even detect fake audiences added it but if so, it blends well with the real crowd.

The songs are very crisp and clear to hear. I like how True Blue and Material Girl sounded personally in the special. The others are well presented in terms of audio. I'm an audiophile myself and I can say that it is very vivid and clean to listen. However, there is one thing that bugs me a little. This will be discussed in the flaws.

3. INTENSE VISUALS: There is a color scheme added into the footage that intensifies that certain segment of the show. Maybe that's me but it works well!

4. VOCALS ARE BETTER SOUNDING: In her previous tours, the S&S Tour and the MDNA Tour, her vocals are pitch corrected but S&S had gone way too far with it. MDNA has its moments when she sounds too smooth in the pitch. In this special, she sounds more natural. Yes, there is pitch correction used but here, it's more natural sounding.

Now, the flaws:

1. SLO-MO GONE LOCO: Too many slo-mo effects to see. I understand that it's supposed to be breath-taking but using too many of it just removes that feeling of excitement a little bit.

2. ORIGINAL LEAD VOCALS OVERPOWERS: In most of her songs, the original studio vocals are present in the track. Because of this, they tend to overpower Madonna's live vocals. Can't they find a way for them to remove it?

Yes, I know that in the span of her RHT the studio vocals are present when she sings but in this special, I only want her live vocals present.

3. SOFTER LIVE VOCALS: In some parts of the soundboard, her live vocals are sometime soft, making it hard for me to hear at times like Deeper and Deeper.

4. NO SPECIAL SONGS?: Nope. No special footage of songs preformed specially existed in the special.

I hope the DVD can fix those issues presented.

Overall, this is an improvement from her MDNA World Tour DVD. Sure, it may have its flaws but hey, it's passable on my end.

7.8/10 

Thank you for reading this critique of mine about the Rebel Heart Tour on Showtime. Let me know what's in your mind too. :)

• 4 months later...

Now that the album / DVD is out, I wonder what you think of it.

After listening to the live album I must say that it's actually enjoyable. The audio editing is not the best but way better than the MDNA World Tour CD and reminds me of the Sticky & Sweet Tour audio editing. I'm just a little disappointed that she didn't take the time to add Love Don't Live Here Anymore but overall it's a great live album.

• 1 year later...