Madonna and Ruby Wax Interview 1994 - a revelation by Wax

Guest DeeperDeeper

She talked about this many times. I remember her saying Madonna was the worst person she interviewed, mostly because of M's control-freak behaviour with the camera angles, but I think it is definitely one of the best interviews M ever did. She seemed relaxed and funny. You can definitely see the difference between the two women, one is naturally in control and the other is desperate to be, but fails.

1 hour ago, MDNA22 said:

Yeah I did not understand why Ruby Wax said it was her worst interview etc - I thought it was really funny and Madonna came across really well

I think it has to do with Ruby not coming across really well.

There's a weird relationship there. Instead of feeling like two women, in bed talking love/sex life. It's like Madonna answering what Ruby throws at her with a bit of a smirk. This is the time when Madonna was getting tired of tabloids and media in general too.

1 hour ago, EgoRod said:

I think it has to do with Ruby not coming across really well.

There's a weird relationship there. Instead of feeling like two women, in bed talking love/sex life. It's like Madonna answering what Ruby throws at her with a bit of a smirk. This is the time when Madonna was getting tired of tabloids and media in general too.

See your point  - I never really thought of it like that as to me she always comes across the same in her interviews chaotic joking.  I suppose if Ruby's intention was to try to make Madonna look dumb or get a reaction out of her which is what her interviews appeared to do with people like Donald Trump, Imelda Marcos and Lize Minelli then she failed as Madonna came across great and it did not really work

Edited by MDNA22 (see edit history)

Guest DeeperDeeper
2 minutes ago, EgoRod said:

It's something really ominous about bringing Diana on the conversation too. 

And all of this gossiping kind of questions when Madonna just came out with 'Human Nature'

When I first watched this interview back in the 90s I thought it was really weird they were talking about Diana, considering they were in Paris and not the U.K. 

If they were in London, yeah it would have been something naturally to talk about. 

5 minutes ago, Ashley said:

When I first watched this interview back in the 90s I thought it was really weird they were talking about Diana, considering they were in Paris and not the U.K. 

If they were in London, yeah it would have been something naturally to talk about. 

Diana just got separated and they did'nt leave her alone. I am not surprised Madonna was comparing herself to her.

I've always found funny how when she talks about it, Ruby tries to make it all about herself ("I couldn't work like that", "I was so nervous", bla bla) when it was, well, a Madonna interview. Madonna was the star, not the presenter. And maybe that's the problem. Another example:

https://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en/2011/04/07/ruby-wax-madonna-didnt-like-me-at-all/

"Madonna didn't like me at all"... girl, it was not about you anyway?

It's not a bad interview at all but of course Madonna was smart and maybe Ruby wasn't used to that in her interviews? I don't know.

Anyway, I guess she doesn't really feel that bad about it when she uses it whenever she can...

I think her disappointment is that the interview didn’t go as she planned it. Madonna held the power. So to her that was a failure. But in reality as far as Madonna interviews go it’s one of the better ones of that period. Back then Madonna was notorious for being difficult to interview especially with female interviewers. It was only really the people she knew/liked that got good interviews out of her (Molly Meldrum, Kurt Loader.) 

3 hours ago, Prayer said:

I've always found funny how when she talks about it, Ruby tries to make it all about herself ("I couldn't work like that", "I was so nervous", bla bla) when it was, well, a Madonna interview. Madonna was the star, not the presenter. And maybe that's the problem. Another example:

https://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en/2011/04/07/ruby-wax-madonna-didnt-like-me-at-all/

"Madonna didn't like me at all"... girl, it was not about you anyway?

It's not a bad interview at all but of course Madonna was smart and maybe Ruby wasn't used to that in her interviews? I don't know.

Anyway, I guess she doesn't really feel that bad about it when she uses it whenever she can...

Yeah, it's almost as if Ruby thought she could charm Madonna and they would become best friends or something? I don't think her negative reaction to the interview has anything to do with Madonna, it's all her own insecurities.

Guest DeeperDeeper
9 hours ago, EgoRod said:

Diana just got separated and they did'nt leave her alone. I am not surprised Madonna was comparing herself to her.

.Yet most celebrities were complaining about the media and paparazzi hounding them at that time. It wasn't until Diana died that it toned down. 

Her characterization of the interview has been consistently indicative of her own sense of failing to control the narrative, and losing the opportunity to delve deeper beneath the Madonna myth. I’ve personally never taken her comments as being derogatory towards Madonna. She’s acutely aware that Madonna was at an impasse in terms of her public image, and she wasn’t able to successfully navigate a rare chance to give voice to a different and surprising angle of the person behind the image. As she had studied psychology, I imagine she felt terribly inadequate for coming across as a bit of a buffoon, but that was her thing. In the end, I think she just wishes she could do another interview with the knowledge she has gained since then. 

I remember being pretty excited about the interview at the time, and didn’t give the dynamics much thought as Madonna just came across as her usual guarded self, but under slightly more ridiculous circumstances. Ruby did act like a total goofball, and subsequently she successfully managed to get M to let down her guard (pun intended) to a degree. 

• 1 month later...