Single Reissues Campaign - Who's That Girl - OUT NOW

New_Boy

@Would You Like To Try  when between art and money people who are at the top of big compagnis, in this case music label, need to choose between art and money and choose the last one and take decisions only following  $$$$$.... well at the end those people will have the power to destroyed everthing and ruin amazing music carrers 

2 minutes ago, dave2290 said:

@Would You Like To Try  when between art and money people who are at the top of big compagnis, in this case music label, need to choose between art and money and choose the last one and take decisions only following  $$$$$.... well at the end those people will have the power to destroyed everthing and ruin amazing music carrers 

Yes,the average label tries damage control in the singles and videos but it never helps.In fact,the campaigns who didn't do it end up being more successful and considered as a amazing time by the GP and fans

id like to have something new .... a feats or a remix.... not a new album, is not the right time between tour and all the mess of this year.... and in the meantime her Team can put out every single edition with remixes on her spotify page.... not in a messy way but all in chronological order.... its asking too much? 

21 minutes ago, Prayer said:

In the end Maverick was a joint venture always under the Warner umbrella, it wasn't just a vanity label but its own reach was very limited and depended on Warner for every promotional effort and budgets. When everything was going great and they had the Alanis "Jagged" smash money coming in, everything was cool and perfect, but as soon as that was over and Napster changed everything in 2000, Warner kinda abandoned it after.

She could have had her own 100% independent label if she wanted to, she's loaded, but she's just no interested in it, or maybe the Maverick experience was bittersweet for her to try that again.

I'd love for Madonna to go fully independent like Mya

In 2008, Mya created her own label imprint, Planet 9 after parting ways with her major label, Universal Motown and following the advice of Prince, Mya established and developed her own independent label with a new business approach in mind to create and release music. Following the events of her fourth studio album, Liberation (2007) being mishandled and accidentally leaking on the internet,

In 2009, Mya spoke with Rolling Out magazine, elaborating more on her hiatus from music and decision to go independent:

"I've never stopped doing music. I've created a label called Planet 9 and I released an album in Japan. I invested in my own studio and it cut the recording cost down 95 percent. I have my own in-house producers and they are not as expensive as an established producer. The return is greater and now I own my masters. I see six dollars per album sold versus 10 cents. You may not sell as many units because you don't put as much money in promotions, but the returns are better."

Later in the interview, Mya voiced her opinion on the major difference between major record labels and independent labels, saying:

"Major labels have a system that you have to go through. The people in power dictate how things should sound and where the money is spent. But when you become your own boss, you check every line item and you have to be cautious."

9 minutes ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

In 2008, Mya created her own label imprint, Planet 9 after parting ways with her major label, Universal Motown and following the advice of Prince, Mya established and developed her own independent label with a new business approach in mind to create and release music. Following the events of her fourth studio album, Liberation (2007) being mishandled and accidentally leaking on the internet,

In 2009, Mya spoke with Rolling Out magazine, elaborating more on her hiatus from music and decision to go independent:

"I've never stopped doing music. I've created a label called Planet 9 and I released an album in Japan. I invested in my own studio and it cut the recording cost down 95 percent. I have my own in-house producers and they are not as expensive as an established producer. The return is greater and now I own my masters. I see six dollars per album sold versus 10 cents. You may not sell as many units because you don't put as much money in promotions, but the returns are better."

Later in the interview, Mya voiced her opinion on the major difference between major record labels and independent labels, saying:

"Major labels have a system that you have to go through. The people in power dictate how things should sound and where the money is spent. But when you become your own boss, you check every line item and you have to be cautious."

In the end, it's all bout finding the system that works best for the artist in particular. Also, 2008 was a very different time to now (as it was to 1992, when Madonna launched Maverick). There were more opportunities for independent artists, digital was becoming big, etc.

M is smart as f**k so if she hasn't done it is simply because it doesn't work for her as well as being with a major, at least up until now. Plus she's Madonna, so she can get big advances from labels (or from Live Nation in the Interscope years), something smaller artists cannot demand let alone get.

She's got the money, so she could totally do it if she wanted to. But for some reason I can't see her being the kind of artist that goes 100% independently. She seems to like to have the support system of a big label behind - and saw herself in the 10s what happens when you don't really have that and you're just another act for them, like it happened to her with Interscope.

8 minutes ago, dave2290 said:

@Brendanlovesu1 bravo! do you think M with her own label? and have total control of everthing? not like a lot of musicians today who sale their catalogues and think only about cash....

I don't know and I agree with @Prayer

The music industry isn't for everyone

I've been listening to a lot of JoJo recently and reading up on her label drama as well, 

In, 2018, JoJo re-recorded her self titled debut album along with her second album The High Road. The decision to re-record the singles and albums came from the removal of all of JoJo's original music released under Blackground Records from streaming and digital selling platforms.

Blackground owns the master licensing to the original recordings and has control over their release. JoJo sought after getting the original songs and albums back online, but could never come to an agreement with the label. JoJo's lawyer stated they had reached the end of the statute of limitations on the re-record clause which gave her the rights to "cover" her own music.

Despite the releases of the original versions of JoJo and The High Road on digital and streaming platforms in 2021, JoJo stated that she does not benefit financially from the releases, and encourages fans to support the re-recorded versions instead

but everyone's favourite Taylor Swift gets all the credit for making re-recordings popular. 

@Brendanlovesu1 i read about jojo too...

but i think that: jojo, we need to be honest is not M, and for sure have not M lawyers...

M is very smart and with how many artists collaborate with before them was big name?

i say id like to see M with a music label but honestly i dont think it will happen.... not like @Prayer said because big company give M big money.... if you are independent  you take 100% of the money you make ... but because big company have tons of staff and give you a Team of people  who do a lot for you with the press, with music rights,  deals ecc ecc .... a big company give you a safe net... something an independent label cant

Record Labels are dead. An artist at Madonnas level can hire eternals per campaign to deliver her product and promotion. She is 90% her own promotion too anyway. She is super powerful. She doesn't need those types of deals anymore. Yes the inter scope years were dog shit in promo terms but I'd argue a lot of that was on M. She's past that commercial peak so should relax into her golden years and do projects she loves without the pressure of these huge campaigns.

Honestly I'm at the stage where a ten track album every couple of years with one big lead single would be enough. She just needs to keep the work coming and play around with stuff written for her and new producers and writers.

I'd love her to take the more relaxed approach she has with some of these one off singles and apply it to an album. I don't need a double album, a huge tour, six videos, a life album routine anymore. I just want new music to keep me going. I'd love a decade of this.

Does it feel legacy? Yes to a degree but I'd honestly live for the Kylie model from M. She has another masterpiece in her yet but some less pressured pop records would be a breath of fresh air than these hermetically sealed airless eras she seems to deliver since MDNA. 

Sprinkle these between the deluxe issues and we've got a good decade of eating as fans. When the digital singles dry up in 12 months time we be like...

@steady75 yes interscope was a total shit.... promotion totally zero.... they let her carreer and her projects die. ...

yes, an album put out frequently, with only 10 track can save career now.... but you need to put out costantly. ... something M right now dont do it.... 

M need to came back to her disco dna and have fun again with music.... make music for party....for celebrate....

the only one i like out she put music right now.... pratically always.... is taylor swift. ...

It's sorta the pretence that it actually takes five years to put out a record when she's always managed one every two years and essentially the recording process takes two months most. Things can be worked on and sent back and forth by multiple producers. Madonna has enough taste and experience to curate her albums from submitted material and make tweaks like a fashion house. Donatella is not designing those dresses for Versace y'all. Just get on with it mother. 

2 hours ago, Prayer said:

Sadly I don't think I know anyone to ask that but if I find out on Pop Justice or any other forum of course I will post it here. :cute:

On PopJustice a good insider is Speakerphone member.

1 hour ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

I don't know and I agree with @Prayer

The music industry isn't for everyone

I've been listening to a lot of JoJo recently and reading up on her label drama as well, 

In, 2018, JoJo re-recorded her self titled debut album along with her second album The High Road. The decision to re-record the singles and albums came from the removal of all of JoJo's original music released under Blackground Records from streaming and digital selling platforms.

Blackground owns the master licensing to the original recordings and has control over their release. JoJo sought after getting the original songs and albums back online, but could never come to an agreement with the label. JoJo's lawyer stated they had reached the end of the statute of limitations on the re-record clause which gave her the rights to "cover" her own music.

Despite the releases of the original versions of JoJo and The High Road on digital and streaming platforms in 2021, JoJo stated that she does not benefit financially from the releases, and encourages fans to support the re-recorded versions instead

but everyone's favourite Taylor Swift gets all the credit for making re-recordings popular. 

This. Ms Levesque is the actual pioneer here.

18 minutes ago, dave2290 said:

@steady75 yes interscope was a total shit.... promotion totally zero.... they let her carreer and her projects die. ...

yes, an album put out frequently, with only 10 track can save career now.... but you need to put out costantly. ... something M right now dont do it.... 

M need to came back to her disco dna and have fun again with music.... make music for party....for celebrate....

the only one i like out she put music right now.... pratically always.... is taylor swift. ...

M wasn't from their catalogue, unlike Gaga, Lana or M.I.A., just distributed by them. Hence the difference.

16 minutes ago, Would You Like To Try said:

Remember when insiders used to actually tease singles like in march?

Good times 

After RideOrDie's imprisonment - and esp after Rhino's tweet - they got coward.

1 hour ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

And where is Mya now?

those artists who always put out an album, or a book, every two or three years and after a good deal and money profusion.... (this is for @Would You Like To Try bit obsessed with love profusion) ... they became able to put an album or a book out one or twice at year without problems....

@Anapausis

5 minutes ago, Anapausis said:

On PopJustice a good insider is Speakerphone member.

how you can?? !

trust me i start to have doubts about you and @Would You Like To Try.... who fuck you are both? you make name... you put sites or forum like water in every conversation and you know everthing on everyone ....

scary

4 minutes ago, dave2290 said:

@Anapausis

how you can?? !

trust me i start to have doubts about you and @Would You Like To Try.... who fuck you are both? you make name... you put sites or forum like water in every conversation and you know everthing on everyone ....

scary

My secret

Now you know it too.

19 minutes ago, deathproof said:

And where is Mya now?

still making music 

her 2016 album Smoove Jones received a nomination for Best R&B Album at the 59th Annual Grammy Awards.

This year alone she re-releassed a digital deluxe twenty-fifth anniversary edition of her debut self titled album (1998), a digital deluxe twentieth anniversary edition of her third studio album, Moodring (2003), and a remixed and reimagined audio and heel choreography music video of her debut single "It's All About Me" (1998) with Brian Friedman.

10 minutes ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

still making music 

her 2016 album Smoove Jones received a nomination for Best R&B Album at the 59th Annual Grammy Awards.

This year alone she re-releassed a digital deluxe twenty-fifth anniversary edition of her debut self titled album (1998), a digital deluxe twentieth anniversary edition of her third studio album, Moodring (2003), and a remixed and reimagined audio and heel choreography music video of her debut single "It's All About Me" (1998) with Brian Friedman.

Well, are Page Six, Rolling Stone and Entertainment Tonight reporting all these anniversary reissues? (You get my point.)

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Who's That Girl - OUT NOW