Your Opinion on True Blue

50ft Queenie

2 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Of course it's important that it sounds good on tablets and cell phones, and headphones, most of people consume music that way nowadays. It's not 2009 anymore, streaming can sound great today and no that different from CD when it's done right.

And this is the reason why the Loudness War is present in every release, destroying the dynamic range...

If the album sounds good on tablets and cell phones, it will sound TERRIBLE in a good Hi-Fi Stereo system. If you wanna play the music with good quality, buy a good Stereo System. Don't destroy the original source with awful remasters.

6 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

And this is the reason why the Loudness War is present in every release, destroying the dynamic range...

If the album sounds good on tablets and cell phones, it will sound TERRIBLE in a good Hi-Fi Stereo system. If you wanna play the music with good quality, buy a good Stereo System. Don't destroy the original source with awful remasters.

This was true 10-15 years ago, but not now. Audio on tablets and cell phones is much better, and also headphones. Nowadays you can do a remaster that will sound great (or good at least) everywhere.

Please listen to any recent good remaster, like "Beautiful Garbage" by Garbage or "Sign 'O' The Times" by Prince. You can do a great remaster and it will work and sound great on streaming but also on CD and vinyl.

9 minutes ago, Prayer said:

This was true 10-15 years ago, but not now. Audio on tablets and cell phones is much better, and also headphones. Nowadays you can do a remaster that will sound great everywhere.

Please listen to any recent good remaster, like "Beautiful Garbage" by Garbage or "Sign 'O' The Times" by Prince. You can do a great remaster and it will work on streaming but also on CD and vinyl.

I agree with you. A remaster can be really good. I mean "Like A Virgin" doesn't need a remaster (only "Like A Prayer" and "Ray of Light") because the sound quality is really good, but I prefer the original sound over a bad remaster. 

Of course, from "Ray of Light" to "MDNA" I want them without the dynamic range compressed.

I stand by what I said personally. Madonnas invasion of stage and big screen in The Virgin Tour and DSS & Vision Quest and the soundtrack songs really cemented her as more than a pop video star with two very gimmicky songs and a helium voice. She became a triple threat with a new weapon of MTV video that really set the stage for the True Blue album and her first world tour. Angel was sort of shunted out and demoted, Dress You Up given a cheap tour video (which ultimately did showcase her live prowess) but in the UK at least Into The Groove and it's DSS video really was the first time that we really encountered the full Madonna package. She had her first number one and was everywhere. I think it's the closest she got to a million seller here and with Holiday sat at number two in the charts she felt inescapable. It sealed the deal past the gimmicks of LAV & Material Girl. When I think of the era the two things I think about are Into The Groove, DSS, Crazy For You and The Virgin Tour. The two big album singles seem almost like musical clickbait for the era. Just my opinion of course and I know the Like A Virgin single was probably the big moment in the US for her. 

2 hours ago, Prayer said:

OK but isn't "Papa" gimmicky, too? I mean...

"Like A Virgin", the album, is a stellar production on its original form. It's a shame that the digital versions available now (the 2001 remaster, the digital version) don't reflect that. It needs a great remaster to remind people of how good it is, let's pray it happens. Imagine if Nile Rodgers himself did it: a dream.

Papa Isn't Gimmiky at all. It's a real song about real serious issues with a killer all out rock vocal and an orchestral opening sequence rather than a remake of Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend for the 80's and a post disco song about sexual awakenings in a Betty Boop / Marilyn pitched up vocal. Virgin was a nudge and wink and a flash of the skirt to get you in the room. Papa and Live To Tell slammed the door,  locked you in the room, sat you down and told you to your face so you'd listen. 

30 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Papa Isn't Gimmiky at all. It's a real song about real serious issues with a killer all out rock vocal and an orchestral opening sequence rather than a remake of Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend for the 80's and a post disco song about sexual awakenings in a Betty Boop / Marilyn pitched up vocal. Virgin was a nudge and wink and a flash of the skirt to get you in the room. Papa and Live To Tell slammed the door,  locked you in the room, sat you down and told you to your face so you'd listen. 

Fine, your view and opinion. :smile: But in my opinion she knew exactly what she was doing with "Papa", same as with "LAV": the controversial single and video to launch the album and get everyone talking about it. Of course all of them are great pop songs, too.

Personally, I don't see it that different from "Like A Virgin" and "Material Girl": songs that she didn't write but fit her project and goal perfectly at the moment she picked them. She moved a step forward with "Papa" in terms of going (or pretending to go) into social issues, but that's just it. What's the message behind "Papa Don't Preach" exactly, anyway? Is there one, really or it's just a great pop single with a catchy story?

:cute: