Madonna's Spotify Progress

Fabiolous

6.2 million streams yesterday

Pre-digital era female artists on Spotify (June 13)

1. @shakira 16.15M
2. Beyonce 13.21M
3. @shreyaghoshal 7.96M
4. @Sia 6.75M
5. @Pink 6.32M
6. @Madonna 6.19M
7. @thealkayagnik 6.06M
8. BritneySpears 4.7M
9. @MariahCarey 3.58M
10. #LataMangeshkar 3.27M
11. @aliciakeys 3.03M

3 hours ago, milingo83 said:

13/06 - 35,549,073 (+630,027)

WW #89 (+02)

*New Peak for both*

This is just so exciting to watch.  It's like she just needs to drop something that is going to WOW people now.  Not sure if that is possible though? 

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

"Vulgar" up to 4.190.226 streams -> +4M now.

"Popular" up to 30.522.027 streams -> +30M now.

Popular is going to win out here in the end.  It still has a lot of possibilities to go bigger in the coming weeks. 

55 minutes ago, milingo83 said:

6.2 million streams yesterday

Pre-digital era female artists on Spotify (June 13)

1. @shakira 16.15M
2. Beyonce 13.21M
3. @shreyaghoshal 7.96M
4. @Sia 6.75M
5. @Pink 6.32M
6. @Madonna 6.19M
7. @thealkayagnik 6.06M
8. BritneySpears 4.7M
9. @MariahCarey 3.58M
10. #LataMangeshkar 3.27M
11. @aliciakeys 3.03M

It's interesting to see that 4 through 7 are very close to one another, and easily could switch positions at any time. 

5 minutes ago, tscott said:

This is just so exciting to watch.  It's like she just needs to drop something that is going to WOW people now.  Not sure if that is possible though? 

Popular is going to win out here in the end.  It still has a lot of possibilities to go bigger in the coming weeks. 

It's interesting to see that 4 through 7 are very close to one another, and easily could switch positions at any time. 

With one more hit song Madonna could overtake #5 and #4 unless they also have a hit song.... doesn't Pink have a new hit now? maybe she will rise more and overtake Sia?

1 minute ago, androiduser said:

With one more hit song Madonna could overtake #5 and #4 unless they also have a hit song.... doesn't Pink have a new hit now? maybe she will rise more and overtake Sia?

Yes, P!nk has recently released "Runaway".  It's a great song, but I haven't seen it take off at any capacity, especially on the charts. I know "Trustfall" single re-entered the Hot 100.  Her album isn't anywhere to be seen on the 200 Album chart, but that's all in the U.S., and I am not sure how impactful the new single has been digitally or streaming wise. 

10 hours ago, Prayer said:

Updated current Top 10:

top10.png.3ead947adfad222d419aaae98a218703.png

"Vulgar" up to #6.

At this point, Both Vugar and Popular are Top 10 hits for me.  Spotify is indisputably one of the ways, if not the #1 way to consume music these days.  These are people streaming the music.  No radio executives, radio organization or other media source is controlling what is being heard here. Imagine radio playing a song 700,000 times a day in any year or decade.  It would be a massive hit of a song. I realize that's not how it works here and far more popular songs get far more than that.  Still, the point is, Billboard and other regional top 40 charts may have a system in how they rank what's popular for the week, but I'd say streaming is a good indication people are interested in both of these songs.

18 minutes ago, tscott said:

At this point, Both Vugar and Popular are Top 10 hits for me.  Spotify is indisputably one of the ways, if not the #1 way to consume music these days.  These are people streaming the music.  No radio executives, radio organization or other media source is controlling what is being heard here. Imagine radio playing a song 700,000 times a day in any year or decade.  It would be a massive hit of a song. I realize that's not how it works here and far more popular songs get far more than that.  Still, the point is, Billboard and other regional top 40 charts may have a system in how they rank what's popular for the week, but I'd say streaming is a good indication people are interested in both of these songs.

Different times, different mediums, both with pluses and minuses. I agree but (label and platforms) executives are indeed controlling what's being promoted on streaming too. The inclusion or not on the big playlists is not random: there are big sums of money and all kind of agreements behind. Just like in the old days of payola.

Now there's even an autoplay feature... when a song ends, the thing that plays after if you don't have anything in queue is promoted too. You get what the labels pay to be played.

The medium has changed... the rotten music industry is the same. xd

20 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Different times, different mediums, both with pluses and minuses. I agree but (label and platforms) executives are indeed controlling what's being promoted on streaming too. The inclusion or not on the big playlists is not random: there are big sums of money and all kind of agreements behind. Just like in the old days of payola.

Now there's even an autoplay feature... when a song ends, the thing that plays after if you don't have anything in queue is promoted too. You get what the labels pay to be played.

The medium has changed... the rotten music industry is the same. xd

True to all that, but I was simply expressing, for a song to be streamed, an individual makes the choice to play it, but when one is listening to radio, you really don't get that choice, other than you just turning off the radio. Still, that radio play is still counted as a spin whether an individual wanted to hear it or not or if anyone is listening to the radio station at that time or not.  They play what they think you want to hear.  I know there are a lot of logistics/statistics to what is being played on radio, but the main idea I was driving home, is no matter how many streaming playlists, promotions, etc., it still requires an individual to play/stream that song for it to increase and be counted.

6.25 mil streams yesterday!!

Pre-digital era female artists on Spotify (June 14)

1. @shakira 16.48M
2. Beyonce 13.32M
3. @shreyaghoshal 7.8M
4. @Sia 6.88M
5. @Pink 6.38M
6. @Madonna 6.25M
7. @thealkayagnik 5.99M
8. BritneySpears 4.82M
9. @MariahCarey 3.65M
10. #LataMangeshkar 3.25M
11. @aliciakeys 3.07M

3 minutes ago, tscott said:

True to all that, but I was simply expressing, for a song to be streamed, an individual makes the choice to play it, but when one is listening to radio, you really don't get that choice, other than you just turning off the radio. Still, that radio play is still counted as a spin whether an individual wanted to hear it or not or if anyone is listening to the radio station at that time or not.  They play what they think you want to hear.  I know there are a lot of logistics/statistics to what is being played on radio, but the main idea I was driving home, is no matter how many streaming playlists, promotions, etc., it still requires an individual to play/stream that song for it to increase and be counted.

In theory, back in the day radio played what people requested with calls, etc. So if a song was requested many, many times they were somehow forced to play it - if it fitted their format.

In theory. :Madonna009:

1 minute ago, Prayer said:

In theory, back in the day radio played what people requested with calls, etc. So if a song was requested many, many times they were somehow forced to play it - if it fitted their format.

In theory. :Madonna009:

Correct! In the golden days of radio, that did happen and in the early days, many artists would travel around the nation to radio stations to get their songs played as well.  That's how it used to be and should be like, but as big corporations started taking over (such as Clear Channel), radio started to dictate what is played.  Of course, many radio stations still took requests, but that is rare and few anymore.  And even then, if that request for a certain artist or song isn't among the approved songs to be played, they won't play it, no matter how many times you try to call in to request it.  I personally encountered that back in 2006, when requesting "Hung Up".  I called my local top 40 radio station and asked for them to play "Hung Up", the guy laughed, said "no" and then hung up on me. 

25 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

Payola was always the name of the game and Frank Sinatra invented it, even going as far as sending friends from the mob to radio stations.

It seems the mob had a hand in everything, especially when it comes to corruption and making money. 

1 hour ago, tscott said:

At this point, Both Vugar and Popular are Top 10 hits for me. 

Vulgar is a top 10 hit because it's in the top 10 of a Madonna-only chart? Following this logic, Vogue is not a #1 hit because it's at number 10. I know fans want the song to do well, but this is really taking it too far with interpreting the acts as we please.

7 minutes ago, androiduser said:

Vulgar is a top 10 hit because it's in the top 10 of a Madonna-only chart? Following this logic, Vogue is not a #1 hit because it's at number 10. I know fans want the song to do well, but this is really taking it too far with interpreting the acts as we please.

I'm referring to its current STREAMING performance, not its actual placement in her top 10.  Vogue definitely had its day when it was originally released.  That being said, I know they aren't top 10 hits, I'm just saying they are top ten to me, based on it's current streaming performance over the week. This is no way, implying a fact. Just sharing my opinion.

32 minutes ago, BoyToyMark said:

The way they need to merge so many songs (correctly) so that her streaming numbers actually work out.

?

Album cuts, singles, compilations, special edits... Thera are so many different iterations of the same song.

Release-driven data don't give the same results as overall catalog performance.

So yes, numbers have to be merged.

OK, but again it doesn't make sense to merge different versions of the same song when there are clear differences in length, for example "Vogue" Album Version vs "Immaculate"/"Celebration" or "4 Minutes" Album vs "Celebration" edit. They're not the same version in the end.

The only clear cases that they should merge NOW are "Like A Prayer" Album + "Celebration" version and "Material Girl" Album + "Celebration".

2 minutes ago, Prayer said:

OK, but again it doesn't make sense to merge different versions of the same song when there are clear difference in length, for example "Vogue" Album Version vs "Immaculate"/"Celebration" or "4 Minutes" Album vs "Celebration" edit.

The only clear cases that they should merge NOW are "Like A Prayer" Album + "Celebration" version and "Material Girl" Album + "Celebration".

Well again it depends on which point of view you want to have. 

If you want to see which Madonna song performs best, you have to merge. If you want to see which Madonna release fares better, you keep the numbers separated.

1 hour ago, PlayPause said:

Well again it depends on which point of view you want to have. 

If you want to see which Madonna song performs best, you have to merge. If you want to see which Madonna release fares better, you keep the numbers separated.

I agree. A specific edit ur fade out on the same fucking production is still the same fucking song, just shorter. 🤷🏻‍♂️

remixes where production is completely different shouldn’t be merged, duh. 

2 hours ago, DaddyZ said:

I agree. A specific edit ur fade out on the same fucking production is still the same fucking song, just shorter. 🤷🏻‍♂️

remixes where production is completely different shouldn’t be merged, duh. 

Tell that to those who want every freakin edit... digitally and streaming released and if not, they whine and moan about it.  No one is going to be listening to all these particular edits in the long run.  So hardcore fans might re-visit them, but I would suspect they already have them in their own physical or digital collection.  No one beyond some fans will care if they are listening to a 7 Inch version or the edited version or the single version and so on.