Induct Madonna into the National Recording Registry

Madonna fans, soon we will be celebrating the 40th anniversary of Madonna's groundbreaking career and I think this would be a great way to celebrate her legacy :).

Despite being one of the most significant recording artists of all time, shockingly, none of her works have ever been inducted in the Library Of Congress (USA).

Thankfully, we can submit our own nominations, hoping that her work will be finally taken in consideration by the committee.

National Recording Registry
8SkUS2L.jpg

The National Recording Registry features sound recordings that are deemed to be "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant, and/or inform or reflect life in the United States."

- Individuals may submit up to 50 Registry nominations per year. Please include in your nomination as much information about the recording as possible. All nominations should include the recording artist(s), title, and record label name/number for published recordings or a brief but specific description for unpublished and broadcast recordings.

- Nominations should include a compelling justification that explains the cultural, historical and/or aesthetic significance of the recording(s). 

- No recording is eligible for inclusion into the National Recording Registry until ten years after the recording's creation.

- Everyone is welcome to submit nominations to the National Recording Registry. Nominations are forwarded to the Librarian of Congress and the National Recording Preservation Board for their consideration.  Since 2006, 25 recordings have been selected annually. Pop stars like Cyndi Lauper (She's So Unusual), Janet Jackson (Rhyhtm Nation 1814) and Alicia Keys (Songs In A Minor) have been inducted in the past decade.

SUBMISSION

You may submit nominations via online form, mail, fax, or email:

National Recording Registry Nomination Form External

Email: recregistry@loc.gov
Fax: (202) 707-8464

National Recording Preservation Board
c/o Motion Picture, Broadcasting & Recorded Sound Division
Library of Congress
101 Independence Avenue SE
Washington DC 20540-4698

National Film Registry

MV5BNTViMzE5MmQtNWUwNC00NWNkLWIxMWUtYzM5NWRmOTk5MDQ2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTY5Nzc4MDY@._V1_.jpg220px-Madonna_-_Truth_or_Dare_(poster).pgvebb17qt3471.jpg?auto=webp&s=cff2212d6a4daeba06239885e1edab483904dd48

Deadline for Nominations is August 15, 2022

The Library of Congress invites you to submit your recommendations for movies to be included on the 2022 National Film Registry. Public nominations play a key role when the Librarian and Film Board are considering their final selections. To be eligible for the Registry, a film must be at least 10 years old and be "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant." The National Film Preservation Board and the Librarian of Congress give first consideration to American motion pictures.

SUBMISSION

You may recommend up to 50 titles per year through our online nomination form

Use of the online form is preferred; however, to submit via regular mail, send your nominations to:
National Film Registry
Library of Congress
Packard Campus for Audio Visual Conservation
19053 Mt. Pony Road
Culpeper, VA 22701

For the National Recording Registry - I think we can come to an agreement as to which albums / songs are the most deserving. I think her early work most definitely qualifies as "culturally, historically, or artistically significant".

For the National Film Registry - Her film career has been rocky to say the least but Truth Or Dare is definitely a worthy contender for its documented cultural impact on reality television and the LGBTQ community. Keep in mind some music videos have also been inducted in the past ("Thriller" by Michael Jackson in 2009).

44 minutes ago, Shoful said:

Wait she’s not? Then what does everyone mean when they say the Bedtime Stories DAT tapes are in the Library of Congress:thinker:

I'm not from the US, so I could be saying something wrong and I apolozige in advance... But as far as I know, every book and audiovisual product released in the US must submit a copy to the Library of Congress. 

This doesn't mean that every album, movie, or book is part of the Library's list of cultural and historic importance pieces. This needs a different type of submission and process to have its "historical value validated".

So yes, US Congress probably has copies of most albums DAT or master tapes for archival and preservation purposes, but it doesn't mean that everything they have was once inducted by the Library. If that was the case, MDNA would have such honor LOL

I think in Madonna's case, if they ever induct any record of hers will probably be Like a Prayer and/or Ray Of Light. Janet was registred in 2020 for Rhythm Nation 1814.

17 hours ago, Shoful said:

Wait she’s not? Then what does everyone mean when they say the Bedtime Stories DAT tapes are in the Library of Congress:thinker:

7 hours ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

Here's an article that desribes how  Bruce Baron, who wrote the 1999 Goldmine article on Madonna's unreleased material and had the chance to listen to most of the Rain Tapes tracks in the Library Of Congress

https://en-academic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/8110405

1 hour ago, professormouse said:

Yeah, she's already in it ?

Let me explain. The Library Of Congress is the largest library in the U.S, it houses more than 171 million items, including pieces of sheet music and sound recordings, like the original Erotica tapes.

But this thread is specifically about the National Recording Registry, which is a program of the Library Of Congress that preserves "culturally, historically, or artistically significant" works for posterity. Only 25 recordings are selected every year, so it is a big deal.

A League Of Their Own was selected for preservation in 2012 for the National Film Registry but none of Madonna's own work has ever been featured. Albums by Michael, Prince, Cyndi, Janet, Springsteen, etc. already have been selected for preservation, so I think it's important for Madonna fans to submit their nominations for consideration of the committee.

Here is the list of the past inductees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Recording_Registry#Inductees

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Film_Registry#Films

I've edited the title to avoid further confusion :).

• Karma changed the title to Induct Madonna into the National Recording Registry