MDNA Vinyl Repress coming this July

thegoldencalf

On 8/3/2023 at 10:46 AM, maddy1111 said:

Thanks for the info! :)

Honestly, I have started collecting vinyls only earlier this year, managed to collect each album from Madonna expect HC and RH (now just waiting for reissues from Warner), so wasn't really aware Rebel Heart has been constantly repressed since I could not find it anywhere at this moment. Just found a recent repress of MDNA and bought it instantly. 

Regarding Hard Candy, I am not that much interested in CD. I already have my copy on CD since 2008, so really just waiting for vinyl (simply fell in love with that format). I am more curious if there is even a chance that Warner will pay any attention to that album anytime soon (meaning in following 2-3 years). Regarding colors, I am not really a type of collector that need it in each color, so a standard repress on black 180g vinyl, maybe one color variation (pink?) would be fine for me. 

I'm sure Warner will repress Hard Candy eventually. There's a rumor Celebration will be repressed, but in the normal edition, not the Deluxe Edition that sells for $500+

Also, there's three versions of Hard Candy from what I understand.

- The 1st is a total fuck up. Someone used the wrong disc stamper on Side 1 of the first disc, and it plays rap music instead. Thankfully this fuck up isn't valuable even though not many exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42cPe4ygrcA

- The 2nd error (still part of the first pressing) is the rarest and most valueable. This one is still solid blue and pink but the music on the discs is pressed right (meaning it has the album music, not the rap songs). A lot of people say it sounds better than the splatter version too that came after it, so it just fuels the collectibility aspect. Madonna and her team recalled this version and the remanining discs when they found out the vinyl was not being pressed with the starburst design. By then, a few copies had made their way to HMV in the UK. And the only way to know from what I've read, is that you had to buy the album and open it to see if you got the one with solid blue and pink or if you got the corrected repress, since by then the corrected splatter version and the solid version were jumbled together by HMV's inventory team before it got sent out to stores. And since there were no design or numbering changes to either version, there was no way for HMV to send back all the recalled versions.

https://www.discogs.com/release/13558314-Madonna-Hard-Candy

- The 3rd version, officially the first repress, and the correct "intended" color version is the one that was made in a different factory after Madonna's team was annoyed the other factory fucked up the first two times to make the discs like she wanted. This is the one with the white discs and pink and blue splatter.

https://www.discogs.com/release/1358986-Madonna-Hard-Candy

In the end, the splatter version is the easiest to find and cheapest to collect. The solid misprint with the correct music is the most expensive/rarest to find since not many people list it on sale due to its collectibility. The one with the wrong music (which is also pressed solid) is probably rarer, but less valuable and less desirable since it's a full on error with another musician's music on side 1.

If Hard Candy gets pressed again it will probably be on Black vinyl, unless they do a different color way. I can see Madonna & WB repressing it using the marble effect, which is more accurate to the candy that inspired the original starburst one.

Edited by DanceWithMe (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, DanceWithMe said:

I'm sure Warner will repress Hard Candy eventually. There's a rumor Celebration will be repressed, but in the normal edition, not the Deluxe Edition that sells for $500+

Also, there's three versions of Hard Candy from what I understand.

- The 1st is a total fuck up. Someone used the wrong disc stamper on Side 1 of the first disc, and it plays rap music instead. Thankfully this fuck up isn't valuable even though not many exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42cPe4ygrcA

- The 2nd error (still part of the first pressing) is the rarest and most valueable. This one is still solid blue and pink but the music on the discs is pressed right (meaning it has the album music, not the rap songs). A lot of people say it sounds better than the splatter version too that came after it, so it just fuels the collectibility aspect. Madonna and her team recalled this version and the remanining discs when they found out the vinyl was not being pressed with the starburst design. By then, a few copies had made their way to HMV in the UK. And the only way to know from what I've read, is that you had to buy the album and open it to see if you got the one with solid blue and pink or if you got the corrected repress, since by then the corrected splatter version and the solid version were jumbled together by HMV's inventory team before it got sent out to stores. And since there were no design or numbering changes to either version, there was no way for HMV to send back all the recalled versions.

https://www.discogs.com/release/13558314-Madonna-Hard-Candy

- The 3rd version, officially the first repress, and the correct "intended" color version is the one that was made in a different factory after Madonna's team was annoyed the other factory fucked up the first two times to make the discs like she wanted. This is the one with the white discs and pink and blue splatter.

https://www.discogs.com/release/1358986-Madonna-Hard-Candy

In the end, the splatter version is the easiest to find and cheapest to collect. The solid misprint with the correct music is the most expensive/rarest to find since not many people list it on sale due to its collectibility. The one with the wrong music (which is also pressed solid) is probably rarer, but less valuable and less desirable since it's a full on error with another musician's music on side 1.

If Hard Candy gets pressed again it will probably be on Black vinyl, unless they do a different color way. I can see Madonna & WB repressing it using the marble effect, which is more accurate to the candy that inspired the original starburst one.

Thanks for posting this.  I think what we must keep in consideration here is that Vinyl hadn't really made a huge comeback at this point, so the other versions weren't so known.  All I remember is buying the original release at the time. I didn't realize the errors on other editions you pointed out.  I certainly appreciate you pointing it out.   I'm not sure a lot of other fans knew this!   Thanks!!!! :)

Just now, tscott said:

Thanks for posting this.  I think what we must keep in consideration here is that Vinyl hadn't really made a huge comeback at this point, so the other versions weren't so known.  All I remember is buying the original release at the time. I didn't realize the errors on other editions you pointed out.  I certainly appreciate you pointing it out.   I'm not sure a lot of other fans knew this!   Thanks!!!! :)

I'm sure some do. I think someone mentioned a Madonnalicious forum thread back in the day where someone in the UK did a groupbuy for the misprints, and the ones he/she opened that were splatter got sold off to the people who wanted both editions or just wanted the white splatter ones (so no purchase went "wasted). Otherwise the difference in prices between the solid color versions (with the right music) and the white ones with splatter wouldn't be so wide.

Personally I think the candy splatter ones "look" a little cooler, but I just did a listen to both those and the correct solid pink/blue one, and I do think the solid ones have slightly better sound like a lot of people say. Then again, I do think the solid blue and pink ones look very beautiful on their own, and I think they're probably my favorite out of the two when all things considered.

5 minutes ago, DanceWithMe said:

I'm sure some do. I think someone mentioned a Madonnalicious forum thread back in the day where someone in the UK did a groupbuy for the misprints, and the ones he/she opened that were splatter got sold off to the people who wanted both editions or just wanted the white splatter ones (so no purchase went "wasted). Otherwise the difference in prices between the solid color versions (with the right music) and the white ones with splatter wouldn't be so wide.

Personally I think the candy splatter ones "look" a little cooler, but I just did a listen to both those and the correct solid pink/blue one, and I do think the solid ones have slightly better sound like a lot of people say. Then again, I do think the solid blue and pink ones look very beautiful on their own, and I think they're probably my favorite out of the two when all things considered.

All I know is the edition I have which was released originally sounds great.  I hadn't opened and listen to my Vinyl Hard Candy until late last. year.  But I bought it when it first was released and it sounds really great.

Just now, tscott said:

All I know is the edition I have which was released originally sound great.  I hadn't opened and listen to my Vinyl Hard Candy until late last. year.  But I bought it when it first was released and it sounds really great.

Which one is that? The solid recalled version or the white with splatter? I just listened to both in succession (side by side) and the solid blue/pink one doesn't have any pops or sibilance, and its sounds a bit more dynamic with a bit more bass. The white splatter one is a bit more flat in comparison and you can sometimes notice the color changes inbetween silences.

This makes sense since other people mentioned that white as a base vinyl color is the worst sounding, and I've heard of mixed color pressings having noticeable changes when the needle plays over different colored parts of a disc. It's not super noticeable, but if you really pay attention, you can notice it in the white splatter version.

So in my opinion, the recalled solid blue and pink version is the best way to go. Of course it was also pressed at a different factory than the white splatter version, so that probably adds to the difference in audio quality. Also, I heard that mixed color vinyl sometimes has issues since the different vinyl colors have different degrees they melt and solidify at than standard single color or black vinyl.

2 minutes ago, DanceWithMe said:

Which one is that? The solid recalled version or the white with splatter? I just listened to both in succession (side by side) and the solid blue/pink one doesn't have any pops or sibilance, and its sounds a bit more dynamic with a bit more bass. The white splatter one is a bit more flat in comparison and you can sometimes notice the color changes inbetween silences.

This makes sense since other people mentioned that white as a base vinyl color is the worst sounding, and I've heard of mixed color pressings having noticeable changes when the needle plays over different colored parts of a disc. It's not super noticeable, but if you really pay attention, you can notice it in the white splatter version.

So in my opinion, the recalled solid blue and pink version is the best way to go. Of course it was also pressed at a different factory than the white splatter version, so that probably adds to the difference in audio quality. Also, I heard that mixed color vinyl sometimes has issues since the different vinyl colors have different degrees they melt and solidify at than standard single color or black vinyl.

I have the 3 LP version that is splatter in blue and pink.  The bonus vinyl/CD is splattered in a more greenish blue.  It sounds great. 

Just now, tscott said:

I have the 3 LP version that is splatter in blue and pink.  The bonus vinyl/CD is splattered in a more greenish blue.  It sounds great. 

So the white ones with splatter (one blue one pink splatter)?

I mean I guess if thats the only reference, then yes it does sound great. But when compared to the solid blue / solid pink version that was recalled, it comes second. Also, the bonus vinyl is black (the one with the two 4 Minutes remixes). So if you got one that isn't black, you might have bought a bootleg. Just an FYI.

6 minutes ago, DanceWithMe said:

So the white ones with splatter (one blue one pink splatter)?

I mean I guess if thats the only reference, then yes it does sound great. But when compared to the solid blue / solid pink version that was recalled, it comes second. Also, the bonus vinyl is black (the one with the two 4 Minutes remixes). So if you got one that isn't black, you might have bought a bootleg. Just an FYI.

Yes, it's splattered pink and blue.  I never knew a solid pink/blue was available, but then again at the time I wasn't really interested into VInyl at the time.  I was simply collecting at the time.  These days, I realize that life is too short to just let these items just sit on the shelf without playing.  I don't have any plans to sell them or profit from them.

2 minutes ago, DanceWithMe said:

Honestly I would be fine with the standard being issued since that never got a vinyl release and it acts as a more concise edition of the Celebration album so non-fans could enjoy it as well.

At the end of the day, I'd be happy with either, but I prefer the full version over just the standard on Vinyl.  But at this time, the full version probably would come at a hefty price!! :)

8 minutes ago, tscott said:

Yes, it's splattered pink and blue.  I never knew a solid pink/blue was available, but then again at the time I wasn't really interested into VInyl at the time.  I was simply collecting it at the time.  These days, I realize that life is too short to just let these items just sit on the shelf without playing.  I don't have any plans to sell them or profit from them.

So its this version, right? The one with white and blue and white and pink, then the bonus disc in black? Because if yours is a mix of pink and blue on one disc, then thats a bootleg (especially since you mentioned a tint on the bonus disc and CD. The CD is the same standard version that was released and shouldn't look any different).

https://www.discogs.com/release/1358986-Madonna-Hard-Candy/image/SW1hZ2U6NzU4MDMwMDA=

6 minutes ago, tscott said:

At the end of the day, I'd be happy with either, but I prefer the full version over just the standard on Vinyl.  But at this time, the full version probably would come at a hefty price!! :)

I agree. I already have the original, but I think it would be cool to have the standard on vinyl since we never got that on vinyl. And it acts as a good introductory album on Madonna without the less popular tracks like "Cherish" and "Revolver". And price-wise, it would be more accesible to non fans as well. Finally Enough Love is remixes, and The Immaculate Collection is missing a lot of her later work, so a standard Celebration, maybe with an extra track or two from the Deluxe Version, would be a good idea.

I wish she released GHV2 on vinyl as well to accompany The Immaculate Collection and Celebration, since the only 3 vinyl versions of GHV2 are bootlegs.

Edited by DanceWithMe (see edit history)

Just now, DanceWithMe said:

So its this version, right? The one with white and blue and white and pink, then the bonus disc in black? Because if yours is a mix of pink and blue on one disc, then thats a bootleg.

https://www.discogs.com/release/1358986-Madonna-Hard-Candy/image/SW1hZ2U6NzU4MDMwMDA=

I agree. I already have the original, but I think it would be cool to have the standard on vinyl since we never got that on vinyl. And it acts as a good introductory album on Madonna without the less popular tracks like "Cherish" and "Revolver". I wish she released GHV2 on vinyl as well to accompany The Immaculate Collection and Celebration, since the only 3 vinyl versions of GHV2 are bootlegs.

Yes, but the blue and pink on mine is more prominent.  But I suspect, the image shown in the link you provided are under a brighter light, making the white look more prominent. 

As for Celebration, I rather have the full version before the standard. But I guess if one already owns the full version, I can understand they would want just the standard.  Though the full version would include everything on the standard plus more.

I totally agree about an official GHV2 Vinyl release.  But of course, that came when Vinyl wasn't in demand as it is now and in the last couple of years. :)

34 minutes ago, tscott said:

Yes, but the blue and pink on mine is more prominent.  But I suspect, the image shown in the link you provided are under a brighter light, making the white look more prominent. 

As for Celebration, I rather have the full version before the standard. But I guess if one already owns the full version, I can understand they would want just the standard.  Though the full version would include everything on the standard plus more.

I totally agree about an official GHV2 Vinyl release.  But of course, that came when Vinyl wasn't in demand as it is now and in the last couple of years. :)

I just think a standard Celebration makes the most sense. The idea of it, being her most recent greatest hits compilation, is that it could appeal to casual pop listeners or possible new fans. It has a good mix of modern and classic hits (without much of the interscope stuff, which wasn't super prominent). And the price point would likely be around $30USD instead of $60 or $70. Celebration I think was around $40 when it came out, but that was a while ago.

As for Hard Candy, are you sure you don't have the misprint? Can you upload pictures? If it turns out you have the misprint, then you're lucky (assuming its not the fuck up version with the rap songs).

https://www.discogs.com/release/13558314-Madonna-Hard-Candy/image/SW1hZ2U6OTgyNTM1NzM=

1 hour ago, DanceWithMe said:

I just think a standard Celebration makes the most sense. The idea of it, being her most recent greatest hits compilation, is that it could appeal to casual pop listeners or possible new fans. It has a good mix of modern and classic hits (without much of the interscope stuff, which wasn't super prominent). And the price point would likely be around $30USD instead of $60 or $70. Celebration I think was around $40 when it came out, but that was a while ago.

As for Hard Candy, are you sure you don't have the misprint? Can you upload pictures? If it turns out you have the misprint, then you're lucky (assuming its not the fuck up version with the rap songs).

https://www.discogs.com/release/13558314-Madonna-Hard-Candy/image/SW1hZ2U6OTgyNTM1NzM=

No, I have the swirl version.  There is no misprint or wrong music on mine!  :)

1 minute ago, tscott said:

No, I have the swirl version.  There is no misprint or wrong music on mine!  :)

To be clear, the recalled misprint is the solid blue and pink discs and the full Hard Candy album (this is the rare and valuable one).

The fuck up is the same colors, but with wrong music on disc one lol. That one isn't valuable.

Just now, DanceWithMe said:

To be clear, the recalled misprint is the solid blue and pink discs and the full Hard Candy album (this is the rare and valuable one).

The fuck up is the same colors, but with wrong music on disc one lol. That one isn't valuable.

Yeah, I have no solid discs nor are any of the songs messed up on mine.   :)