Me Against The Music Opinions

Blue Skies

Not a huge fan of the song. It's just okay.  I don't really like how Madonna sounds on the song.  My favorite duet she's done is Guilty By Association with Joe Henry.  But I also think her duet with Mandy Patinkin on What Can You Lose is super as well.  I also love a lot of her duets on Evita.  She sounds beautiful singing those songs.

It is a song that fulfills its purpose of making people dance in clubs or to be used in gyms as a dance routine, but it is not a song that has exactly remained imprinted in the memory of fans. And you couldn't expect anything else from an artist like Britney whose music has always been characterized by mediocrity with some exceptions.

The story would be different if Madonna had decided to collaborate with Christina Aguilera because the quality of the song, probably a ballad, would have been guaranteed. Both Britney and Christina were in their prime at that time and Madonna could have chosen anyone but she decided to go the easy way and the consequence was an inconsequential song which only excited Britney's fans.

I think everytime two huge stars get together for a collab, expectations also get huge, especially when you are a fan of both artists. THE PROBLEM of "Me Against The Music" is that the overall product let's say didn't meet those expectations. It could've been muuuch bigger. It didn't overcome the VMA performance.

THE SONG is great and was a sensation, but I confess I don't like the main mix's "acoustic" vibes. Thank god we have 18 official mixes + variations! The Gabriel & Dresden Mix is the best dance mix in my opinion.

THE VIDEO. OMG. What a disappointment. The almost no interaction of both annoys me, but the kiss reference in the end kinda made it okay, I guess. I love the colored underground scenario and Britney looks amazing but I hated Madonna's outfit which in my opinion didn't make her look good plus she looked like she was Britney's grandma. Maybe if she had the Erotica hair she'd look better? NOT TO MENTION her silly and bat tasted playing with leaves scenes and her disagreements with Paul Hunter.

Madonna threatened to take herself out of that video at one point! She did NOT get along with the director on that video, PAUL HUNTER, either. She had already worked with him on the GAP spot and had not had a good experience. I remember she called Paul to give him some specific notes on the video and I guess, from what Madonna told me right after, she asked him if he was writing down her comments and he said, “No, I’m DRIVING.” Madonna said, “FUCK YOU”, hung up and called me right away. That was the last video I ever cut with Paul Hunter as I sided with Madge instead of him on creative issues and the direction of Madonna’s performance in the clip. I WAS TRYING TO HELP, I SWEAR. I got it to a place where Madonna was happy. I think the art direction is horrible and the wardrobe is stupid… it should have been way more modern, hipper and edgier for both Britney and Madge. It was one of the weakest videos ever, that NEEDED to be strong but just wasn’t. - Dustin Robinson, the video editor