The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Donna

5 hours ago, Jackie said:

Just re listened - she sounded so good - her control and voice was in such great condition back then!

This version - I can't work out if the first two verses are mined or live - it's very high for her and much better controlled vs crazy for you - so I think it's lip synced - 

This version, you talking about the Celebration tour version? If so it's definitely not mimed, night 2 sounds just as high on the notes but completely different... She hits high notes at mother and father to. How can you think the Frozen verses are lipsync 😅 Sometimes she's even out of tune. 

5 hours ago, Jackie said:

Just re listened - she sounded so good - her control and voice was in such great condition back then!

This version - I can't work out if the first two verses are mined or live - it's very high for her and much better controlled vs crazy for you - so I think it's lip synced - 

Both different, sure there is a backing track but she is not lipsyncing 

Night 2 

Night 1

8 minutes ago, True Blue 84 said:

Both different, sure there is a backing track but she is not lipsyncing 

Night 2 

Night 1

Yea agree - it def sounds like she's singing live - just don't understand how this can sound really good tune, control wise vs Crazy For you - which she seems to struggle with.

I don't know music ha - so maybe it's a different key/register and that's what makes it harder to do CFY vs Frozen.

1 minute ago, Jackie said:

Yea agree - it def sounds like she's singing live - just don't understand how this can sound really good tune, control wise vs Crazy For you - which she seems to struggle with.

I don't know music ha - so maybe it's a different key/register and that's what makes it harder to do CFY vs Frozen.

But this is based on 2 video's, While Crazy for You is based on many many more, but to be honest, she did hit the right notes on some nights on Crazy for You to. Same as Bedtime stories, not that there are high notes there but that song is also a hit or miss this tour. I think Crazy for You and Bedtime Stories and sometimes Argentina are the songs that sometimes sound good and sometimes sound off , she has the most struggles with them. 

4 minutes ago, True Blue 84 said:

But this is based on 2 video's, While Crazy for You is based on many many more, but to be honest, she did hit the right notes on some nights on Crazy for You to. Same as Bedtime stories, not that there are high notes there but that song is also a hit or miss this tour. I think Crazy for You and Bedtime Stories and sometimes Argentina are the songs that sometimes sound good and sometimes sound off , she has the most struggles with them. 

I agree actually so true !

31 minutes ago, Jackie said:

So true - she sounds good here!

I mean I think credit where credit is due, somebody decided to raise the key on CFY far higher than she sang it on RHT or RIT, and it sounds far better on a good night. Like a Prayer however I'm not even sure what they could have done - Stockholm she sounded average, 5th December at the O2 there were moments she sounded as bad as Eurovision

4 minutes ago, scion said:

I mean I think credit where credit is due, somebody decided to raise the key on CFY far higher than she sang it on RHT or RIT, and it sounds far better on a good night. Like a Prayer however I'm not even sure what they could have done - Stockholm she sounded average, 5th December at the O2 there were moments she sounded as bad as Eurovision

And she sounded fine on other dates singing like a prayer, she sure sid at my date. We can do this all night long, she has on and off dates, on and off songs...

13 minutes ago, True Blue 84 said:

Flat? Have you even seen the one that was posted? ... Lisbon was flat but not that one 

Yeah she's flat on both, but far more so in Lisbon.

8 minutes ago, True Blue 84 said:

And she sounded fine on other dates singing like a prayer, she sure sid at my date. We can do this all night long, she has on and off dates, on and off songs...

I'm not sure there is a single video of this tour where she sings like a prayer 'fine'. There are songs this tour she sounds always fine, but Like a Prayer her vocals are awful every single performance.

1 minute ago, scion said:

I'm not sure there is a single video of this tour where she sings like a prayer 'fine'. There are songs this tour she sounds always fine, but Like a Prayer her vocals are awful every single performance.

Definitely not!... On both subjects 

3 minutes ago, True Blue 84 said:

Definitely not!... On both subjects 

Literally yes. It isn't even a matter of opinion, it's regarding the laws of music. She's off key and flat, and as such it can't be said she sounds good. If somebody isn't bothered by it or doesn't realise, that's fine, but it's because they're quite literally tone deaf and therefore cannot perceive the issues..imagine on RIT is hideously flat also, yet some people say its beautifully sung... Why? Because they can't hear the off notes (lucky them 😭)

21 minutes ago, scion said:

For some reason, LAP she always struggles with the most - I think they'd be better lowering the key to make it easier to sing live.

Warning! ⚠️ Very unpopular words about to be written…cover your eyes and ears if easily triggered!

Whether or not people can accept it, it’s become clear to me watching the many different recordings of this show that during certain songs there is live pitch correction being used. Her voice is not in great shape. I’ve noticed that she really struggles with notes that shouldn’t really be out of reach, but I think a lot of this can be put down to the fact that she isn’t as athletic as she used to be, and her breath control is limited…She might not be doing the intense choreography she once did, but there is still a lot of movement that seems misleadingly undemanding, but actually requires a lot of energy and focus. Her voice has matured into a much lower range since menopause, and she doesn’t sound like she maintained her voice through training the way it is generally required in order to retain range and dexterity. It’s true that if the songs were all rearranged to, as she sang herself, “take it down a semitone” (and more like two or three at this stage), she would find it easier to sing them, but her genre is pop, and dance pop in particular doesn’t lend itself well to the female alto voice. Additionally, she has chosen to do most of the songs in an autobiographical show close to their original productions, which causes her to strain her voice. 

While I am not able to definitively say I am right in my assessment, it’s what seems accurate to me. Regardless, Madonna is such a commanding performer that even her vocal imperfections to her fans are capable of awakening the most sublime emotional experiences, and her stage presence is so blindingly overpowering that these minor gripes are quickly forgotten. Also in the past when at the venue, I’ve always noticed that Madonna sounds amazing, and then when I have come across recordings online she has often sounded quite flat. It’s all about the experience. Madonna announced very publicly many years ago that she didn’t consider herself the best singer, and so I don’t know why it bothers anyone that much. She is an artist, and the greatest living entertainer, and that is what counts. 

25 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

Whether or not people can accept it, it’s become clear to me watching the many different recordings of this show that during certain songs there is live pitch correction being used.

Well yes, this has been the case with her for over 20 years now. She's been using some variation of this since Drowned World. 

27 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

Warning! ⚠️ Very unpopular words about to be written…cover your eyes and ears if easily triggered!

Whether or not people can accept it, it’s become clear to me watching the many different recordings of this show that during certain songs there is live pitch correction being used. Her voice is not in great shape. I’ve noticed that she really struggles with notes that shouldn’t really be out of reach, but I think a lot of this can be put down to the fact that she isn’t as athletic as she used to be, and her breath control is limited…She might not be doing the intense choreography she once did, but there is still a lot of movement that seems misleadingly undemanding, but actually requires a lot of energy and focus. Her voice has matured into a much lower range since menopause, and she doesn’t sound like she maintained her voice through training the way it is generally required in order to retain range and dexterity. It’s true that if the songs were all rearranged to, as she sang herself, “take it down a semitone” (and more like two or three at this stage), she would find it easier to sing them, but her genre is pop, and dance pop in particular doesn’t lend itself well to the female alto voice. Additionally, she has chosen to do most of the songs in an autobiographical show close to their original productions, which causes her to strain her voice. 

While I am not able to definitively say I am right in my assessment, it’s what seems accurate to me. Regardless, Madonna is such a commanding performer that even her vocal imperfections to her fans are capable of awakening the most sublime emotional experiences, and her stage presence is so blindingly overpowering that these minor gripes are quickly forgotten. Also in the past when at the venue, I’ve always noticed that Madonna sounds amazing, and then when I have come across recordings online she has often sounded quite flat. It’s all about the experience. Madonna announced very publicly many years ago that she didn’t consider herself the best singer, and so I don’t know why it bothers anyone that much. She is an artist, and the greatest living entertainer, and that is what counts. 

i think a lot depend on the ICU recovery of last year.... she was a very tought moment for her health and mind..... i was sure the tour would be cancelled....

2 hours ago, scion said:

Literally yes. It isn't even a matter of opinion, it's regarding the laws of music. She's off key and flat, and as such it can't be said she sounds good. If somebody isn't bothered by it or doesn't realise, that's fine, but it's because they're quite literally tone deaf and therefore cannot perceive the issues..imagine on RIT is hideously flat also, yet some people say its beautifully sung... Why? Because they can't hear the off notes (lucky them 😭)

Are you o.k? So you just said im tone-deaf? 😂... im definitely not!.. i can perfectly hear her off tune notes. And sure shes not great every night, but there are definitely nights sounding fine singing like a prayer. I don't need study music for that, my ears are fine. And that's all im going to say about it. Not in the mood for a yes and no game 6 pages long... 

41 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

I think she has on and off nights. Thats it.

C'mon..... last year she was near to die and in few months she give us an amazing show full of amazing songs trying to make everyone of her fans happy .....

we can be happy for her, that shes alive, that she come back with this wonderful Celebration tour where she put all her energy and love only for us? 

i really dont care nothing is shes not 100% every night or if shes late......

she's a woman of 65 who was near the death only few months ago and now she have a Worldwide tour.....

WOW

i have only admiration for this......

Like a prayer sounded fine on opening night but from there on it's been hit and miss. For me Like a prayer is always the song that shows just how much her vocal range has changed and I dread when she sings live.

I don't know if she's had vocal training this time around you would think she would considering the ICU issues last summer, performance wise she's becoming more relaxed and confident as the tour is progressing and it's great to see, I just wish she wouldn't be so relaxed with the vocals lol

3 hours ago, Jackie said:

For some reason, LAP she always struggles with the most - I think they'd be better lowering the key to make it easier to sing live.

2 hours ago, Alibaba said:

1 hour ago, Future Lover said:

Well yes, this has been the case with her for over 20 years now. She's been using some variation of this since Drowned World. 

1 hour ago, dave2290 said:

i think a lot depend on the ICU recovery of last year.... she was a very tought moment for her health and mind..... i was sure the tour would be cancelled....

47 minutes ago, MattyMads said:

Like a prayer sounded fine on opening night but from there on it's been hit and miss. For me Like a prayer is always the song that shows just how much her vocal range has changed and I dread when she sings live.

I don't know if she's had vocal training this time around you would think she would considering the ICU issues last summer, performance wise she's becoming more relaxed and confident as the tour is progressing and it's great to see, I just wish she wouldn't be so relaxed with the vocals lol

Well, I agree that sometimes she struggles, but she definitely has some good moments to, it's not all bad. Even in the accapella parts ( I will survive, little star, Little light of mine) she sounds fine. 

She's 65, she never was a vocalist, and her breath control is not the same ofcourse. But with all that in mind i think she still gives a great show and she still sounds fine.

Some other older artist struggle allot to these day because of age ( Elton, Diana ross, even Mariah) and they are just sitting/standing there. With that in mind, Madonna still moves and sings and still sounding decent overal with definitely bad nights/moments. But overall i think She's doing a good job. 

The reviews are good for a reason, lots of them even saying she sounds fine. 

9 minutes ago, True Blue 84 said:

Well, I agree that sometimes she struggles, but she definitely has some good moments to, it's not all bad. Even in the accapella parts ( I will survive, little star, Little light of mine) she sounds fine. 

She's 65, she never was a vocalist, and her breath control is not the same ofcourse. But with all that in mind i think she still gives a great show and she still sounds fine.

Some other older artist struggle allot to these day because of age ( Elton, Diana ross, even Mariah) and they are just sitting/standing there. With that in mind, Madonna still moves and sings and still sounding decent overal with definitely bad nights/moments. But overall i think She's doing a good job. 

The reviews are good for a reason, lots of them even saying she sounds fine. 

think also that after 40 years of shows, tours, albums..... she use her voice so much like very few other artist.....tons of other singers take some time of stop after years and years of career or they switch to other career.... like producer or actor or something else..... Not M .... ok she do some movies but at the end she always been a singer.... so .... im not an expert but i think its impossible after so many years and performances have a voice like at 25 or 30......

• Enrico unfeatured this topic