Mid-90s Ballad era/Something To Remember appreciation

Kae-Leah Williamson

While the '80s are by far my favorite Madonna era, I also have a big soft spot for the post-Erotica, pre-ROL ballad era. I really love the Something to Remember CD for the mix of old and new ballads. I know some view this era as her "selling out" a bit by toning down her image post-Erotica/Sex book controversy, but I think there's a lot to love about this era. She really looked beautiful in this era, and her vocals sounded good. It might be nostalgia talking as I had STR on CD since I was like 10 or 11, and always loved the floral motif on the disc itself. 

I remember in the 80's, wishing she had more ballads.  I remember during the WTG and LAP, wishing she would do more ballads as she sounded so beautiful singing them.  I love the dance songs she released, but for the first several years of her career, there were very few ballads to enjoy.  So I welcomed the ballad era.  I love Something To Remember.  I don't think she was "selling out" by releasing this.  I think it was a smart savvy move.  She was definitely looking to soften her image with Evita on the horizon. It all worked in her favor and getting pregnant, having a child just sweetened the pot.

I think that recopilation album was a total success, and she sold millions with this one, just recording a few songs. I love her ballads, she has a special sensibility for them, and how she performs them OMG. On the new tracks she showed what an amazing pop singer she can be. You´ll see is a gem, and so underated by her. And very madonna in its message. 

O agree she looked specially amazing at that time and the cover and pictures were some of her best and super fitting, all in all a success. It´s like for the tours she likes to be seen as that super strong force of nature with all the big numbers and everything, but when  she goes quiet OMG look at her Gone performace on DWT, one of her bests ever and she was just sitted down singing, but with a inner strengh and a feeling..that is not easy to do. If only she would know it...

It's a great compilation showcasing one aspect of her discography that has helped build her status as a musical staple and icon of the 80's/early 90s.This concept that mixes marketing and art direction and public image is very 90s as Warner was overflowed with cash and creativity. It was part of a big PR strategy segueing Bedtime Stories into Evita, very clever and also very chic, totally reversing the post-Erotica aftermath. But it was not Madonna chickening out, she was exploring her musicality and expanding her reach, with a more mature and self-conscious persona.

Such a thematic compilation would be hard to sell today, as every streaming platform has a playlist of "Chill Madonna" or "Madonna Ballads".

Love it. Love the new songs, love Verás, love One More Chance. Love the artwork. Love the singles and remixes. What an era.

As a compilation I didn't listen to it so much, too many genres I guess which made it a bit jarring to listen to. I did love the new mix of LDLHA and the three new songs were all fantastic. I do remember coming from BS, then this and with Evita in sight, me and fellow fans were afraid that she was transitioning into Barbara territory. As if she was preparing for the fact that after hitting 40 she'd be only able to wear evening gowns and sing ballads. Little did we know lol. As for her looks, I think she was at her most beautiful coming from GS til Evita, the short hair that was growing out, soft body, still toned but not as muscular as during tours and her face was impeccable but was also showing small signs of aging which made her softer and more vulnerable. Her voice in the three new ballads is also fantatsic (as with almost every song in that era) it's stronger than before (as if she was already having singing lessons) but not as technical as during and after Evita giving more room for her delivery which is her best feat.

10 hours ago, Kae-Leah Williamson said:

While the '80s are by far my favorite Madonna era, I also have a big soft spot for the post-Erotica, pre-ROL ballad era. I really love the Something to Remember CD for the mix of old and new ballads. I know some view this era as her "selling out" a bit by toning down her image post-Erotica/Sex book controversy, but I think there's a lot to love about this era. She really looked beautiful in this era, and her vocals sounded good. It might be nostalgia talking as I had STR on CD since I was like 10 or 11, and always loved the floral motif on the disc itself. 

STR will always have a special place in my heart. It was the last album I heard with my mother who died of lung cancer.

2 hours ago, Honey Little said:

I always preferred One More Chance over You’ll See and I Want You. (Yes, I know it’s not a popular opinion)

I cannot blame you, OMC is a guilty pleasure, despite being bad lyrics, vocals and poor arrangement, it's so good M should really perform it at least once in a lifetime.

1 hour ago, PlayPause said:

It's a great compilation showcasing one aspect of her discography that has helped build her status as a musical staple and icon of the 80's/early 90s.This concept that mixes marketing and art direction and public image is very 90s as Warner was overflowed with cash and creativity. It was part of a big PR strategy segueing Bedtime Stories into Evita, very clever and also very chic, totally reversing the post-Erotica aftermath. But it was not Madonna chickening out, she was exploring her musicality and expanding her reach, with a more mature and self-conscious persona.

Such a thematic compilation would be hard to sell today, as every streaming platform has a playlist of "Chill Madonna" or "Madonna Ballads".

Love it. Love the new songs, love Verás,love One More Chance. Love the artwork. Love the singles and remixes. What an era.

I suppose you are Latin American cause we were TRULY blessed with Verás ending the tracklist to our STR CD's (however some early STR printings - even in Brazil - did have the Verás omission plus the backcover with the flower present in the You'll See single cover... Notice also the spine being black instead of the white, standard one, in the 1st photo I bring right now:)IMG-20230329-WA0002.thumb.jpg.b3cc7b1e9f8187fc10b35aa367315d84.jpg

IMG-20230329-WA0004.thumb.jpg.d1199b45aca2c9b2b4aa33955e4494df.jpgIMG-20230329-WA0005.thumb.jpg.8987b86313cadf7ad884c731fbe6b630.jpg

I love the album as a collection of songs, just a great listen on an Autumn evening. One More Chance makes me ill though, she went a step too far into 90s balladering schmalz with that one.

One thing I never really got to the bottom of though, what was the deal with the different artworks for the back cover? Was there a reason? Which is the "real" version?

I love the STR compilation and that (short-lived) ballad era. She looked so stunning and that Versace 95 campaign is still my favourite photo shoot of hers. She doesn't get enough credit for her ballads, probably because she has never had a huge voice like Whitney or Celine, but the way she performs a ballad is simply unique. She knows how to let her emotions shine through and that is what really matters. You can really feel the pain or the romance in her singing.

My only complaint is that she left out The Look of love. I think that it is the only ballad (apart from Bad Girl which was not included for obvious reasons) that was released as a single but was omitted from the album. I will never understand the inclusion of Forbidden Love. Was it intended to be a single during that era? I love them both but The look of love deserved to be on the album.

15 minutes ago, SonnyX said:

I love the STR compilation and that (short-lived) ballad era. She looked so stunning and that Versace 95 campaign is still my favourite photo shoot of hers. She doesn't get enough credit for her ballads, probably because she has never had a huge voice like Whitney or Celine, but the way she performs a ballad is simply unique. She knows how to let her emotions shine through and that is what really matters. You can really feel the pain or the romance in her singing.

My only complaint is that she left out The Look of love. I think that it is the only ballad (apart from Bad Girl which was not included for obvious reasons) that was released as a single but was omitted from the album. I will never understand the inclusion of Forbidden Love. Was it intended to be a single during that era? I love them both but The look of love deserved to be on the album.

Amazing post thank you!

1 hour ago, Ayham said:

Beautiful collection! The artwork is stunning! 😍 

These photos aren't mine, but thanks anyway. They're from a seller who I had some negociation with. My collection is way bigger than this. Someday I'll find on my archives some photos of it.

26 minutes ago, SonnyX said:

According to some theories, Forbidden Love, after being discarded as fifth and final single off Bedtime Stories, was meant to feature on the planned but scrapped I Want You single as a 2nd A-side. I don't mind its inclusion on STR since I completely L-U-V this track and, especially after the title track in the tracklist, it gives some luxurious, sultry atmosphere to the flow of the album. She did it right to me.

18 minutes ago, Anapausis said:

According to some theories, Forbidden Love, after being discarded as fifth and final single off Bedtime Stories, was meant to feature on the planned but scrapped I Want You single as a 2nd A-side. I don't mind its inclusion on STR since I completely L-U-V this track and, especially after the title track in the tracklist, it gives some luxurious, sultry atmosphere to the flow of the album. She did it right to me.

Oh I see... well then the inclusion makes sense. It is indeed a beautiful track, I thought it was just a random choice :lol:

This STR era deserved a tour or at least some promo shows,  songs, videos, artwork, hair,  everything was conpletely perfect.

One More Chance deserved a chance lol, I couldn't believe in my ears when I listened this beloved ballad for the very first time. 

And yes, finally, a song in Spanish.

I know that compilations have become obsolete because of streaming services and playlists, but I would have loved a second volume of STR. There have been so many other beautiful ballads since then and a well promoted compilation could have given them some more recognition and remind the general public that Madonna is also a great balladeer.

But I am so happy that Madonna is giving her ballads some love during the Celebration Tour. I mean Live to tell, Crazy for you, Rain, Bad girl.... all in one show! Can't wait to hear them live!

13 minutes ago, SonnyX said:

I know that compilations have become obsolete because of streaming services and playlists, but I would have loved a second volume of STR. There have been so many other beautiful ballads since then and a well promoted compilation could have given them some more recognition and remind the general public that Madonna is also a great balladeer.

But I am so happy that Madonna is giving her ballads some love during the Celebration Tour. I mean Live to tell, Crazy for you, Rain, Bad girl.... all in one show! Can't wait to hear them live!

While it's true compilation sets are hard to sell, but Elton John is one of the few artists really doing well with his Diamonds compilation.  As for Madonna, I doubt we'll see anything 'new' as a full discography compilation anytime soon since FEL was recently released. I really feel that is acting more like a GH's compilation. I'll be curious in the future what happens though.  I still think it would be awesome if they re-issue CELEBRATION especially on Vinyl.

24 minutes ago, SonnyX said:

There have been so many since 1995: gone, power of goodbye, time stood still, nothing fails, masterpiece, ghostown and many many more..

3 hours ago, Inco said:

This STR era deserved a tour or at least some promo shows,  songs, videos, artwork, hair,  everything was conpletely perfect.

One More Chance deserved a chance lol, I couldn't believe in my ears when I listened this beloved ballad for the very first time. 

And yes, finally, a song in Spanish.

But OMC was released as a single with a MV to support it. Of course it was a very limited release, and the MV needed to be a compilation of past works. I guess both composers to it found it not very worthy of being wirked as a single at all, with that basic instrumentation and childish lyrics. I love the song, ofc, but I won't deny the obvious.

To the part I put in bold: amiguinho, we as from Latin America have Verás on our STR CD's. But the rest of the world not.