Where did her nickname M originate from?

Blue Skies

I'm sure it's been one of many "nicknames" she's had throughout her career, but I've seen early interviews with Stephen Bray who called her "M".   I'm sure it depends on the person, the crowd and their relationship with her.  I think most people who are really close to her call her "M".  I do think "Madge" might be accepted by more shady type "friends".

2 hours ago, Robertthenurse said:

I think it comes from the first letter of her literal name 💁

I know right :laughing:

But I suspect Madonna gave herself this nickname and it stems back to her Emmy and the Emmys days. Perhaps she adopted it more  commonly later on with friends/colleagues because it hides her identity when people are talking about her?

It supposedly comes from the Fortins since this is how they called her mother who had the same name. Madonna is a strange name, very connoted and also a reminder of her mother for the family, her brothers and sisters call her Louise actually and that's how Mirwais calls her too (and how she was called while in Paris in 1979 though she had also chosen an artist nickname in case her career took off then : mademoiselle Bijou). 

5 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

It supposedly comes from the Fortins since this is how they called her mother who had the same name. Madonna is a strange name, very connoted and also a reminder of her mother for the family, her brothers and sisters call her Louise actually and that's how Mirwais calls her too (and how she was called while in Paris in 1979 though she had also chosen an artist nickname in case her career took off then : mademoiselle Bijou). 

Ive literally worked with 2 Madonna’s in my life lol “Madonna you have a telephone call” “Madonna family wants to talk to you” “Madonna your patient needs a diaper change”

Well, she likes to be called by just "M" instead of "Madonna" by people around her. Her birth name always reminds her of Madonna Sr. I respect her position and that's why, on a Madonna forum, I refer to her mostly as "M" than "Madonna," it's a way to show I understand her decision to be called this way (and that I do share her sentiment about feeling this way).

"Louise," as Roland Barthes pointed out here, could also work as an alternate way to call her - but this doesn't make part of her stage name, so she's not known as a "Louise" rather than a "Madonna."

She was also identified herself as "Emmy" which is just a tender version of "M." (See "Emmy and the Emmies" - with "Emmies" being the ones who followed her in the band.)

On 10/27/2023 at 10:19 PM, Blue Jean said:

I know right :laughing:

But I suspect Madonna gave herself this nickname and it stems back to her Emmy and the Emmys days. Perhaps she adopted it more  commonly later on with friends/colleagues because it hides her identity when people are talking about her?

MDNA.... Here we go!