Madonna to 'begin filming biopic starring Julia Garner in the next 12 months' after project was shelved during her Celebration Tour

Anyway, I love the idea she's possibly revisiting the Biopic.  I can't express enough how I am excited for her to share HER story, rather have someone come up with a campy biopic that will only give us the surface of whom she is, which we already know.  At least, Madonna can dive into things that we may have never known. She'll be able to share things beyond the scenes and how she actually felt.  No one can do that better, but herself.  I don't get the apprehension. Whatever you think of her directing and acting in the past, it won't compare.  This will be more in vein of how she visioned her music videos, music and career.  She's proven more than not to do well in just being herself in films. The difference, she will be able to direct someone in her role to playout her experiences. Some we never new and will never know unless she told her story.  I'm glad this isn't being rushed either.  She's putting time into this.  She doesn't want to produce another fuddy duddy documentary of a musical act or a biopic that we've seen before. She knows she can't hold back and will have to share even the nitty gritty.  She isn't afraid to do that.  I have total faith this is going to be one of her great works to come. I can't wait!!! :luv:

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, stefo said:

I am simply joking. As I know that some like Pedro are interested in this biopic for example, so it's not true that in all the previous pages the main question was "why". Personally I'm completely against it, but I don't think my joke or my idea about this means not taking her interest or commitment to the project seriously. I simply don't like it. 

I'm going to pay more attention to any other possible ambiguous joke if this disturbed anybody.

@stefo it’s ok, We need more humor in this forum please, please please, people take things to seriously here… 

It’s a forum for a super fun pop star so let’s lighten up everyone… 

It would be so nice 🎶

Hell Yeah Reaction GIF

17 minutes ago, Donna said:

Anyway, I love the idea she's possibly revisiting the Biopic.  I can't express enough how I am excited for her to share HER story, rather have someone come up with a campy biopic that will only give us the surface of whom she is, which we already know.  At least, Madonna can dive into things that we may have never known. She'll be able to share things beyond the scenes and how she actually felt.  No one can do that better, but herself.  I don't get the apprehension. Whatever you think of her directing and acting in the past, it won't compare.  This will be more in vein of how she visioned her music videos, music and career.  She's proven more than not to do well in just being herself in films. The difference, she will be able to direct someone in her role to playout her experiences. Some we never new and will never know unless she told her story.  I'm glad this isn't being rushed either.  She's putting time into this.  She doesn't want to produce another fuddy duddy documentary of a musical act or a biopic that we've seen before. She knows she can't hold back and will have to share even the nitty gritty.  She isn't afraid to do that.  I have total faith this is going to be one of her great works to come. I can't wait!!! :luv:

Exactly. She's alive and telling HER story. Look at othet people who have had their stories told once they've passed and can't disputed inaccuracies...Mommy Dearest and FX's Feud Bette + Joan. Do we REALLY want her brother's book to be THE biopic the general public will look to and view as THE madonna story?

For example I truly don’t care where the biopic starts and where it ends… we know everything and in the end we aren’t the core target for this movie… it’s going to be fun anyway

What I would truly love would be new music but if we aren’t getting any and getting a movie a movie it is I just hope we are well fed for the next twelve months… 

I would love a mini series about the creative process behind every album and tour that I would consume like a junkie.

The movie is a product aimed towards the general audience and increasing her brand value awareness and equity and in the end a revaluation of her back catalogue in millions of dollars 💸

See this was such a fun post 🤣🤣🤣🤣

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Exactly. She's alive and telling HER story. Look at othet people who have had their stories told once they've passed and can't disputed inaccuracies...Mommy Dearest and FX's Feud Bette + Joan. Do we REALLY want her brother's book to be THE biopic the general public will look to and view as THE madonna story?

Sadly, some do!  The atrocity of such an idea, but I can see someone trying to do so in the future.  She might as well put something out to share more of her side of things, that way it will counterbalance what comes in the future which will try to discredit her.  This is why I welcome her behind Biopic because at least I will see it through her eyes, rather someone else who didn't actually live her life.  Like mentioned, she can provide a lot of details that no one else could. 

This screams planted story. Saying 12 months instead of 1 year, because that makes it sound like there's no definitive timetable, is very telling. If this is coming from her camp they're probably sniffing around for a deal. The deal with Universal was definitely shelved. I know from a close source that she wanted Lourdes to play her and Universal said absolutely no way. I said from the start that she did the Celebration Tour out of nowhere and on the cheap (no band, no backup singers, no new backdrops, reused backdrops, no tour book, etc) because she wanted to raise money for her film. Regardless, if she writes and directs this thing it'll be a disaster. Why she always sets herself up this way is beyond me. It's pathological. You write your memoir, option it to a studio, sign on as consultant, and let people who know what they're doing do their thing. That's the way it works. Madonna and film do not go together. It'll end up as Showgirls 2, a camp classic, enjoyed for all the wrong reasons. She deserves better than that.

it definitely will end with the Rio Concert, they'll probably show the real concert at the end.

If done right, this could be one of the greatest biopics of all time. Think of all the dramatic moments. Her moms death and her childhood, going to NY and the rape, losing her her friends, her marriage with Sean, Like a Prayer, Sex Book....American Life...the ageism and her bacterial infection. 

1 hour ago, litemakr said:

The biopic is a bad idea at this point, especially if directed by her. The critics are going to be savage no matter how good it is if she directs it. A well done Netflix documentary series would be a much better choice to tell her story and reframe her musical legacy.

And her next album is gonna flop like MX...so she should basically hide in her room and become a recluse right? Especially since she only does things for critics 🙄

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

And her next album is gonna flop like MX...so she should basically hide in her room and become a recluse right? Especially since she only does things for critics 🙄

That's pretty over dramatic don't you think? Don't read things into my comments which aren't there. Movies just aren't her strong skillset and it's unlikely a biopic written and directed by her will be well received or probably even be very good. That's my opinion, but it's a pretty widely held opinion. Whereas a good documentary done with her input that focuses more on her musical legacy rather than all of the fluff and controversy could be well received. It has nothing to do with her releasing new music which I think most of us would prefer.

47 minutes ago, litemakr said:

That's pretty over dramatic don't you think? Don't read things into my comments which aren't there. Movies just aren't her strong skillset and it's unlikely a biopic written and directed by her will be well received or probably even be very good. That's my opinion, but it's a pretty widely held opinion. Whereas a good documentary done with her input that focuses more on her musical legacy rather than all of the fluff and controversy could be well received. It has nothing to do with her releasing new music which I think most of us would prefer.

Not most of us, just the complainers are the loudest and not overdramatic at all. Do u think her next album will be a success? Nah. Does that mean she shouldn't do it? Nah. Your point about not doing things because of critics is a big ol nah.

10 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Not most of us, just the complainers are the loudest and not overdramatic at all. Do u think her next album will be a success? Nah. Does that mean she shouldn't do it? Nah. Your point about not doing things because of critics is a big ol nah.

I didn't say anything about her next album not being a success. In fact I said most of us would PREFER her to make a new album. So maybe work on your reading skills and pull back on being presumptive and judgemental. Being loud and rude doesn't make you more correct or make your opinion matter more than mine or anyone else's.

Just now, litemakr said:

I didn't say anything about her next album being a success. In fact I said most of us would PREFER her to make a new album. So maybe work on your reading skills and pull back on being presumptive and judgemental. Being loud and rude doesn't make you more correct or make your opinion matter more than mine or anyone else's.

Absolutely, glad we got that settled about being loud and rude. Appreciate your apology!

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

For me, I think we as fans should know anything she does will never have the same commercial impact as she used to have.  MX may not been a commercial success, but it's still a decent album. It may not compare to some of the classics, but it's not horrible either. Then again, I don't think any album from her is horrible.  All her albums tend to have some really stellar songs that make up for any songs I may brush off as okay. What I do know is Madonna is still willing to make albums very different from her last. She is willing to take a chance and explore new sounds and dive deeper in to current affairs. Each album evolves and as a artist that is great.  Too many artists just re-record music similar to their past hits and I've yet to really hear that from Madonna.  A few of the William Orbit songs come close though, so my advice is to not ask Orbit back because most of his productions sound like the same thing over and over even with other artists.  At least with Patrick Leonard there tend to be some variety to his songs.  He seemed to keep things simple as well.  That being said, I don't mind her collaborating with newer producers because she's always been all about exploring new sounds. I hope she continues to do so.  If I want a song like LIKE A PRAYER, I'd play that song or album. 

The real problem is that fans wouldn't feel so bored if her biopic film was made before the Celebration tour. But fans have already watched the celebration tour, which covers her life. Through the Celebration tour, she has already shown people what her biopic will be like.  So the biggest problem with this movie news is that it feels like she is boringly repeating what she did just a while ago.

I mean it would be really boring if that movie start with the Celebration tour of Brazil footage. 

"over 1.6m people are waiting outside to see my performance. I'm still the queen of pop, but it was my hard and arduous past that I was able to keep my place as the queen of pop after 40 years. And I'm the only one who can tell it properly"

Then goes to her past...

Yawn..

43 minutes ago, I am madonna said:

The real problem is that fans wouldn't feel so bored if her biopic film was made before the Celebration tour. But fans have already watched the celebration tour, which covers her life. Through the Celebration tour, she has already shown people what her biopic will be like.  So the biggest problem with this movie news is that it feels like she is boringly repeating what she did just a while ago.

I mean it would be really boring if that movie start with the Celebration tour of Brazil footage. 

"over 1.6m people are waiting outside to see my performance. I'm still the queen of pop, but it was my hard and arduous past that I was able to keep my place as the queen of pop after 40 years. And I'm the only one who can tell it properly"

Then goes to her past...

Yawn..

The tour just covers some of her music endeavors.  A Biopic film could go deeper.  She could offer more insight to her career than anyone else.  She live it. It would be HER story which I prefer than someone who didn't really know her and was relying on some shotty biography, hearsay or tabloid stories.  I want to hear her version of things, not someone who thinks what happens.

1 hour ago, I am madonna said:

Then goes to her past...

Yawn..

Fans are bored because of perceived preconceptions not reality, fans aren’t bored, they are worried because Madonna's history with Hollywood and her stubbornness, if this Lola casting as her daughter thing is real, then I’m truly worried too, but I don’t believe this is real. 

The celebration tour is in no way a musical biography, if you ask 95% of the attendees they would not have gotten the “it’s my life story people are you really really following it?” “Things are going to get ugly before getting better” BS yes there’s almost chronological order to her catalogue but to consider it as something that could be considered a biography or that people would find repetitive I don’t think so  

Just one question, how is her telling of her life boring? you already know everything and more, you lived her life alongside with her, you know when she’s lying and creating a myth and when she’s her truest, so everything: a memoir, a biography, a documentary about her will always feel boring and a repetition then??? 

Most of the time she has been right about how she presents herself to the world so I trust her with this and will be at the premiere with my pointed cone bra and ponytail enjoying the movie 
Chill Popcorn GIF

One last thing, the Rio show is one of her most impressive and important performances of the last decade, she was a little bit eclipsed by the Taylor’s and Beyoncés latest touring endeavors, with Rio she obliterated everything this two had done in terms of image, perception and power as an Icon, she’s untouchable, so if she wants to start with that, that I don’t think will happen, congratulations to her 

Cheers Drinks GIF

1 hour ago, Donna said:

The tour just covers some of her music endeavors.  A Biopic film could go deeper.  She could offer more insight to her career than anyone else.  She live it. It would be HER story which I prefer than someone who didn't really know her and was relying on some shotty biography, hearsay or tabloid stories.  I want to hear her version of things, not someone who thinks what happens.

A biopic film go deeper?

Really?

We're not talking about a miniseries drama right now. How deep can she go in dealing with her life at least 40 years in a two-hour movie? If she could show her life in a particularly deep way within two hours, so should her "The Celebration tour". But that tour didn't show the deep side of her life at all.

Don't get me wrong Celebration tour was great, I loved it so much!!

but in terms of content, her life story she showed at the concert was simply shallow, the basic of the predictable basics. And I'm almost certain that the two-hour movie she's going to make won't change any more in particular. She basically has already show draft scenarios for how the plot of her biopic look like through this "celebration tour".

11 hours ago, litemakr said:

The biopic is a bad idea at this point, especially if directed by her. The critics are going to be savage no matter how good it is if she directs it. A well done Netflix documentary series would be a much better choice to tell her story and reframe her musical legacy.

I agree.

I also don’t think the comparison further down thread between the underperformance of a future music release and a potentially catastrophic, self-indulgent film project is valid. The former is more or less expected at this point since she’s an older music legend. The latter could potentially be another cause of ridicule and disparagement all over the media & social media, further dismissal of her importance, a financial catastrophe, etc.

Fans would love a new album regardless of its success. The response to this film project is divisive at best among fans. I just wish at the very least she’d hand over the directing reigns to a professional. She’s stubborn to the point of being obtuse at times.

43 minutes ago, I am madonna said:

A biopic film go deeper?

Really?

We're not talking about a miniseries drama right now. How deep can she go in dealing with her life at least 40 years in a two-hour movie? If she could show her life in a particularly deep way within two hours, so should her "The Celebration tour". But that tour didn't show the deep side of her life at all.

Don't get me wrong Celebration tour was great, I loved it so much!!

but in terms of content, her life story she showed at the concert was simply shallow, the basic of the predictable basics. And I'm almost certain that the two-hour movie she's going to make won't change any more in particular. She basically has already show draft scenarios for how the plot of her biopic look like through this "celebration tour".

I don't disagree she hasn't shown "draft scenarios" for her biopic on the Celebration Tour, but yes she could explore deeper in a film if not a series that documents her life. Surely a two hour film isn't enough, but a film documenting her life could go deeper than the tour. It's not hard to conceive, and it's not as impossible as you're trying to make it.

Holiday>Live to tell was pretty deep/personal and sad in celebration tour. If anything that was deep as a musical moment can get.

Her life is not shallow. It anything she needs to make it a big and general message for it to be a blockbuster. Even if it is express yourself/music makes people come together.

What it cannot be is "how to fight the patriarchy" and ignore her sucess/music and instead focus on how bad she got from the press or something negative and boring.

I totally understands she's doing a biopic. First of all, neither i would like someone else to tell my story. She knows a biopic about her life will be made sooner or later. Not only it would be filled with innacuracies and it will be missing many stuff that happened behind the curtains and that only M knows. Then, she's right to do it now and not wait any longer cause no one knows what's tomorrow made of. One day you're here, enjoying your life, the next you can be dead. Madonna gets closer to 70, not that she's about to pass away but when you're at that age you probably think about it more than when you're 25. She has to do it now. It's her legacy, her story. In 100 years feim now, there will always be thousands of books telling her story, many documentaries, but there will be only one official biopic and it will be made with the real story, from the horse's mouth and this is priceless. I don't want kids in 2072 watching a movie about Madonna's life filled with innacuracies. Madonna has controlled her story, her career and what she gives to people since day 1. Not only that biopic will tells the story of her life for people living now as we speak, it's also a guarantee her story will be told genuinely for ever. A legacy for history. 

I must admit i have a hard understanding hiw fans cannot be excited to finally know the real story, and i'm not talking about what's been public, i'm talking about all the things that happened behind the curtains and that we've never had a clue about. Madonna has never be one to open up easily about her private life. She now wants to open her heart and let us sneak inside what's been in her a life and her heart during that long journey since her childhood. 

That said, my only objections about that project is that she should hire a talented director and work with him (think about the way she works on pair on an album like with Orbit for Ray of light). / Do a mini serie or a movie in several parts cause it certainely will be frustrating to cut down many important things to stick to a 2 hours movie (or even worse to end the story during the 90's when there's still so much more to tell). / Last, and that one is just my personnal opinion, not a general though ; i have string doubts about the choice of Julia Garner. Not for her abilities as an actress cause from the little i've seen shens very talented but for the visual aspect. To me they look nothing alike. It's not as easy as bleaching your hair blond, put red lipstick and put a mole above your upper lip to channel Madonna. It's more about what you emanates. As i already said, Julia looks nordic and Madonna looks italian. Sile will say that visual features don't matter and that only the acting game matters but i do not share that opinion, especially when it comes to Madonna where her singular beauty had always been so intense. The visuals have always been an important element of Madonna's work, much mote than other artist like let's say, Celine Dion for example. 

All in all, this is a chance for us and for history that she's doing it. I want new music from her as much as you all want, and don't worry she will release new music sooner or later, in one form or another, it's in her DNA and the Celebration tour + the incredible Rio show have certainely comforted her that music will always be the bond of her career.

• RUADJAI unfeatured this topic