Jimmy Fallon performance on June 9

MLVC123

This wasn't a regular performance. Im sure no one was paid. There was probably one rehearsal. Everyones motivation was probably Obama.

With that said, I think Madonna could stand to start rehearsing everything a little more. 

It def could have been 100 times better. Powerful snare drums like the original recording. More powerful backup vocals. Sped up arrangement. Her notes didn't need to be held out for eternity. Maybe a vague choreography instead of whatever popped into her head, which seemed 5 seconds late most of time even though the song was in slo motion. haha. She needs to hire one of us to be on her team.

:Madonna003:

i love M. i love her SO much that i truly think this could have been a million times better.

i was not feeling any of this performance.

even the "push me" thing was kind of odd at the end.

whoever advises her with music arrangements and performances is doing a poor job...

What a lovely comment thread on this article. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/madonna-borderline-jimmy-fallon_us_575b0d75e4b00f97fba842a7?ir=Entertainment&section=us_entertainment&utm_hp_ref=entertainment

Madonna Performed A Chill Version Of ‘Borderline’ On ‘Fallon,’ And It’s Wonderful Feels like we’re going to lose our minds.
 06/10/2016 04:09 pm ET
Posted Image
NBC VIA GETTY IMAGES

When Madonna performed “Borderline†on 2008’s Sticky & Sweet Tour, shestrapped on an electric guitar and turned the song into a headbanger. On Thursday night, after omitting the 1984 classic from her last two tours’ setlists, Madonna appeared on “The Tonight Show†to perform a chilled-down version, with The Roots accompanying her. 

The performance is, simply, wonderful. Madonna sounds fantastic, and she looks happy — perhaps because she finally accomplished her goal to meet President Barack Obama. (He was the episode’s lead guest.) It’s a bit inexplicable to see her performing more than a year after her previous album, “Rebel Heart,†was released, but hey, it is the president. And after the unnecessary vitriol she received for her Prince tribute on the Billboard Music Awards last month, seeing her nail “Borderline†is a welcome treat. It is one of the songs that made her famous, after all. She even borrows some of the swishy dance moves from the video! 

Jimmy Fallon, 'Tonight Show' Writers on Coming Up With Ideas for Sketches With Politicians, Other Guests

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/jimmy-fallon-tonight-show-writers-901855?utm_source=twitter

Since beginning his run as Tonight Show host, Jimmy Fallon has gotten most of the Saved by the Bell cast to reprise their roles for a short sketch set in the halls of Bayside High, enlisted Fresh Prince of Bel-Air's Alfonso Ribeiro to do Carlton's signature dance and, just the other night, convinced Madonna to perform one of her early hits, "Borderline."

So how does the host get stars to revisit iconic, fan-favorite moments from their past that might now make them cringe?

"I think they know that it's coming from love," Fallon said in response to an audience question to that effect at a panel with his Tonight Show writers on Thursday. "We really love pop culture and we embrace it on our show. No one looks bad on our show and I think people trust us."

For the Madonna performance, the host indicated he convinced her to play his "favorite song."

"You think she sang that enough in her life? She was like, 'Really, 'Borderline'?' And I was like, 'Please do 'Borderline;' it's my favorite song' And she goes, 'I'll do 'Borderline' for you.' The guests just trust us," he said. "We want to put on the best show possible that we can squeeze into an hour."

• 2 weeks later...