OMG: Shep Pettibone is taking legal action against WB Music

Luiz Ribeiro

The leaks fucked the whole thing up. I maintain that if she had embraced the leaks (despite how awful it was to do such a thing) or tried to "one up" them with some more polished demos or alternate versions like Hold Tight the album would have gotten more attention. The strategy of releasing a few tunes in advance of the full project in a scheduled manner seems to build anticipation and resonate with consumers as they have something to look for and forward to with those "eyeballs" companies want to cash in on so badly partnered with the reward/satisfaction of being there when it comes available. The presale track package with the unleaked Ghosttown was a brilliant step but then things sort of went blah after the release. It didn't help that some of the demos sounded superior to the released versions like HT, WAOM, JOA and GH. Plus I love Bitch I'm Madonna but that Dorian Gray with grills look/theme didn't serve the album well.

A lot of you are talking about not buying physical cds etc and only streaming crappy mp3s and yet on the flip side others are literally cummin in their pants over the pointless vinyl revival we seem to be having ??? The music industry is so fucked now - i cant make any sense of it anymore and its so depressing :((

A lot of you are talking about not buying physical cds etc and only streaming crappy mp3s and yet on the flip side others are literally cummin in their pants over the pointless vinyl revival we seem to be having ??? The music industry is so fucked now - i cant make any sense of it anymore and its so depressing :((

Don't diss my 64bit rate mp3 :P Sounds so good when I crank it in the club. 

In all seriousness, physical CD's/DVD's are on the way out, digital on-demand content is where it is headed. We now have 4K video content on demand, there are music services that stream HD/HQ audio files. That's just where the world is moving to, the days of a traditional 'album' are numbered. Royksopp declared with their last album, that this would be their last 'album' and instead they will shift to just releasing tracks. 

The charts have moved that way too, now counting streaming - so promoting a physical album is pointless. You need to get savvy with your social media reach, you need to attack it like a presidential campaign. 

I also hate to say it, but she needs to partner up with something big to launch off of, like she did with Motorola and Hung Up. 

ha. Then define the next revolution of music ;)

There's probably not going to be any revolution in (western) music industry tbh, execs have been shooting themselves in the foot forever now. Streaming is just a way to monetize some of the money companies were losing to piracy, just an easy way to do that while not really investing in artists.

I also hate to say it, but she needs to partner up with something big to launch off of, like she did with Motorola and Hung Up. 

Hung Up was a viral hit... because it was fun and catchy, not because she partnered with anyone. Her last 3 main singles haven't been on that level, simple as that.

I feel like people have already explained the vinyl revival many times here lol Vinyl is great quality, nostalgia factor, plus big artwork, great for a collection. Other people prefer consuming music through streaming without caring that much about quality..

I'm somewhere in the middle... I mostly just buy on iTunes and once in a while a CD or Vinyl, honestly CDs are less fun than Vinyls to me. I don't use Spotify or similar streaming services but obviously I use Youtube a lot.

I'm interested to hear why you think so?

I think the recent case when Ed Sheeran had simultaneously 16 songs in UK's Top 20 ( yes, SIXTEEN - https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2017/mar/10/ed-sheeran-has-16-songs-in-the-top-20-and-its-a-sign-of-how-sick-the-charts-are) is a prime example of how streaming is destroying the music industry. Nothing against Sheeran but that situation was completely ridiculous, even by his own admission. And that's all thanks to streaming and how charts are trying to keep up with the new way of accessing music. On the other side, there's the pittance that streaming services pay out to artists - Spotify may jump and shout about how much money they've paid out in royalties but it doesn't change the fact that it's pretty much impossible to make a living wage, let alone any real money from streaming unless you're Drake or Sheeran (Linda Perry said Pandora paid her $300 for 30 MILLION streams of Aguilera's "Beautiful"). What that means in turn, is that artists have fewer resources to live and create, less incentive to be adventurous in their music and it also makes labels more wary of investing in and promoting new talent.

What I know is that in the past I used to buy a lot of cds and listen to a lot of new music, I used to watch some "new music" tv programmes and was interested in watching the new videos when they premiered on tv.

:pop:

Now I have everything available, I download, I stream, I watch on youtube... but I don't know anything at all. Sometimes I download and I don't listen (even with the Madonna material I download from Infinity!!), I simply put in an archive. I don't know the lyrics of the songs because there are no booklets (ah, let's not talk about Rebel Heart even without any name...), I can't follow the releases because sometimes there is no exact release date (physical different than digital), there are no programmes on tv but talent trash, and also I can't find a good music store where to see the new cds (even in London or New York they have closed!). I am only collecting Madonna at the moment but it's no good for my wallet!

:nope:

That is why I say that we NEED a REVOLUTION. Is it just me?

:rip:

I think the recent case when Ed Sheeran had simultaneously 16 songs in UK's Top 20 ( yes, SIXTEEN - https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2017/mar/10/ed-sheeran-has-16-songs-in-the-top-20-and-its-a-sign-of-how-sick-the-charts-are) is a prime example of how streaming is destroying the music industry. Nothing against Sheeran but that situation was completely ridiculous, even by his own admission. And that's all thanks to streaming and how charts are trying to keep up with the new way of accessing music. On the other side, there's the pittance that streaming services pay out to artists - Spotify may jump and shout about how much money they've paid out in royalties but it doesn't change the fact that it's pretty much impossible to make a living wage, let alone any real money from streaming unless you're Drake or Sheeran (Linda Perry said Pandora paid her $300 for 30 MILLION streams of Aguilera's "Beautiful"). What that means in turn, is that artists have fewer resources to live and create, less incentive to be adventurous in their music and it also makes labels more wary in investing and promoting new talent.

Streaming in the charts is like if a song would chart in the 80's just because I played it in a jukebox, or in my cd player.

It's complete non-sense.

It's also like eating in a restaurant and leaving without paying, just because I can. The waiter doesnt get shit, just like artists dont get shit.

Streaming in the charts is like if a song would chart in the 80's just because I played it in a jukebox, or in my cd player.

It's complete non-sense.

It's also like eating in a restaurant and leaving without paying, just because I can. The waiter doesnt get shit, just like artists dont get shit.

That's a good point actually! It's an interesting challenge to measure a songs impact these days.

Hung Up was a viral hit... because it was fun and catchy, not because she partnered with anyone. Her last 3 main singles haven't been on that level, simple as that.

Let's be honest here. The ABBA sample was of great help and I dare to say she joined a trend that would be extremely popular 6 or 7 years later. In the early 2010s everyone and their mother would start sampling other people's old hits and they keep on doing it now, not just rappers.

Let's be honest here. The ABBA sample was of great help and I dare to say she joined a trend that would be extremely popular 6 or 7 years later. In the early 2010s everyone and their mother would start sampling other people's old hits and they keep on doing it now, not just rappers.

yes true. Altho we don't know what the final production would've been like if she hadnt gotten permission to use the sample.. maybe a similar riff like Love Spent's would've been created. The melody (especially the chorus) is still stronger than recent lead singles imho.

The music industry is cruel. In my humble opinion (and probably that of the Grammy lol), the artist only succeeds when he/she is in the range of 17-25 years old, after that he/she becomes a member of the ADULT chart, and is only "hit" again if Does a very specific and different work, just as Madonna did with "ROL" and "COADF". Note .... Lady Gaga has gotten older, can not be "hit" .... Britney the same thing.

The music industry is cruel. In my humble opinion (and probably that of the Grammy lol), the artist only succeeds when he/she is in the range of 17-25 years old, after that he/she becomes a member of the ADULT chart, and is only "hit" again if Does a very specific and different work, just as Madonna did with "ROL" and "COADF". Note .... Lady Gaga has gotten older, can not be "hit" .... Britney the same thing.

Yes very true. I think it's a result of a number of things, music being more accessible, cheaper to make so you have so much more to chose from, the fact that you don't need a record label any more, a much larger proportion of the music listening public are teenagers etc.

If you go back to the 90's it was very different, it was common for older people to be successful. Shania Twain is a good example. She had her first hit in her early 40's.

But I think charts these days are archaic and irrelevant.

Young people obviously know how to navigate new music consumption much more nowadays. with streaming and social media engagement... older audiences not as much, so they've been left aside for now. There aren't big outlets that anyone can turn to like music television.

Madonna has heaps of appeal which she hasn't lost. What annoys me is radio DJs in their 40s who think they know what the kids are into and won't expose them to people like Madonna. I don't think most younger people automatically dislike her for her age. It's not like she doesn't have teenage fans and many of us were young teens in her 40s so...

A lot of great things were done during the RH era by her team, maybe not initially but when they pretty much relaunched the era with Ghosttown it was great. But I guess not enough to totally turn things around. It's very hard to save an era that starts with negativity...

Young people obviously know how to navigate new music consumption much more nowadays. with streaming and social media engagement... older audiences not as much, so they've been left aside for now. There aren't big outlets that anyone can turn to like music television.

Madonna has heaps of appeal which she hasn't lost. What annoys me is radio DJs in their 40s who think they know what the kids are into and won't expose them to people like Madonna. I don't think most younger people automatically dislike her for her age. It's not like she doesn't have teenage fans and many of us were young teens in her 40s so...

A lot of great things were done during the RH era by her team, maybe not initially but when they pretty much relaunched the era with Ghosttown it was great. But I guess not enough to totally turn things around. It's very hard to save an era that starts with negativity...

I believe that whoever starts this "celebration" of the younger artists is the label itself, which invests billions in them. The "Grammy" itself only rewards new revelations, and rarely an older musician, when it launches a totally innovative material.

I believe that whoever starts this "celebration" of the younger artists is the label itself, which invests billions in them. The "Grammy" itself only rewards new revelations, and rarely an older musician, when it launches a totally innovative material.

execs only care about demographics... Anything that goes against the numbers is too dangerous for these people lol