groovyguy

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/feb/28/madonnas-fall-doesnt-make-her-ancient

Madonna's fall doesn't make her ancient – it reveals her as more radical than ever

Deborah Orr

Madonna’s declaration of sexual worth as a 20-something was hardly out of the ordinary. But standing on a plinth in killer heels amid gyrating dancers in your 50s? That’s inspirational

Because, despite the way the world has chosen to describe Madonna’s wardrobe malfunction at the Brit awards, she didn’t fall. She was yanked over with a sharp tug on her cape. She was lucky, really. Imagine how awful it would have been if she’s had the sort of wardrobe malfunction that showed the world a glimpse of her breast or something like that. That would never do.

Nevertheless, many onlookers disregarded the evidence of their own eyes, decided that Madonna had fallen, and that she’d find this particularly embarrassing because of her age. We all know how she feels. One of the many horrors of ageing is that one day you will find yourself in your fishnets, teetering on killer heels, on a plinth, on a stage, with the world watching as you perform your new single, in your giant Armani cape, with your dancers gyrating around you, only to discover at this most catastrophic of moments that you are too old to stay upright when someone suddenly drags you down by the neck from behind. Who knew?

Astonishingly, however, Madonna got up again and carried on, like she wasNaomi Campbell or Jennifer Lawrenceor some other stripling. Her brittle old bones had not shattered. The wind had not been knocked from her ailing cardio-vascular system. The shock had not induced a heart attack. What a trouper! Premier league footballers should watch and learn (as many a wit on Twitter observed). Madonna had snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. Anyway, seeing her vulnerable and humiliated – that made you like her a bit more, eh? For a minute there she was just like the rest of us, in our fishnets, teetering on our killer heels, on a plinth and so on.

I can’t help feeling that this collective interpretation of a designer garroting as a “fall†is just part of an enduring obsession with Madonna’s age. Madonna is always being accused of trying to hide her age, to deny the reality of her age or failing to act her age. People are always trying to expose her secret agedness – her hands look old and gnarly, her costume is too young, her lovers are too young, she should have moved on from pop by now and she really should not be posing topless any more. In truth though, Madonna is Madonna – always has been, always will be. Expecting her to stop being Madonna because she’s now too old to be herself and should start finding some other person to be … well, it’s a bit unrealistic.

Everyone understands that being Madonna is hard work, and if she’s willing to put in the hours, then so be it. When she lived in London, I knew some women in her social circle. One of them told me that in Madonna’s company you couldn’t sit about complaining about your spare tyre or what a pig you’d been over the rich teas, because Madge would always remind you that you could have the body you wanted at any age if you were prepared to work for it. Mostly, however, people want to be told that their bodies are fine, just as they are, and that a few rich teas never killed anyone.

When I first became aware of Madonna, she was wearing a belt-buckle reading “Boy Toy†and I thought she was a bit of an idiot. Style bible of the day, The Face, put her on the cover, and ran a long piece implying that she’d got as far as she had – a hit debut album – by targeting men, becoming their girlfriend, exploiting their usefulnessand then moving on. It was so nasty and insidious that it just recruited you to her side.

Since then, I’ve remained ambivalent about Madonna. She has always been the queen of liberal feminism, certain that the kind of sexual liberation that was known for a time as “raunch culture†was entirely compatible with female equality, seemingly unaware that this may well feel liberating for young women, but for older women, not so much. Madonna is a more inspiring figure now, as she declares the sexual worth of women in their 50s, than she was when declaring the sexual worth of a woman aged 28. That never seemed terribly radical to me.

The trouble with female sexual worth, even self-defined sexual worth, is that it’s seen as a youthful gift of nature, with transient value. A culture that prioritises female sexual worth is a culture that necessarily sees a large part of female identity as not just disposable, not just transient, but as inevitably guaranteed to self-destruct.

Armani, continuing to stick his foot in his mouth (from MTribe):
Giorgio Armani called himself out from capegate talking to the press after his Emporio show in Milan yesterday, and he didn’t seem pleased by the Madonna side of the story.

When the Italian media and news agencies asked him for a comment about the Brit Awards wardrobe mulfunction, the designer didn’t seem to get the sense of humour in Madonna’s Instagram post. He reportedly said:
"Madonna è molto difficile, non oso dire quello che vorrei dire…
La cappa aveva un gancio facile da aprire, ma lei ha voluto un laccio (o il contrario, non mi ricordo bene). E poi non è riuscita a slacciarla con le sue manine"

Unless his words were twisted, his quote would be translated like this:
"Madonna is very difficult, I won’t dare to say what I’d like to say…
The cape had a hook very easy to open, but she wanted a tie (or the other way round, I can’t remember well). And then she didn’t manage to untie it with her little hands"

In her latest Instagram post Madonna thanks “Harry Potter†author J.K. Rowling who showed her support for the Queen of Pop following her backward tumble during her Brits Awards performance last wednesday: Thank you J.K Rowling! So nice to read your words of support! Women supporting Women! Hell to the Yeah! â¤ï¸#rebelheart

https://instagram.com/p/zqX1iXGEcS/?modal=true

https://twitter.com/Madonna/status/571825014049259520

@jk_rowling Thank you J.K Rowling! So nice to read your words of support! Women supporting Women! Hell to the Yeah! Posted Image#rebelheart