Will we ever get real 4k videos? Mariah Carey did it with Fantasy

amscity

This is probably my fave discussion on M(Plus anything to do with unreleased demos and concerts)

To be honest i dont know if this will ever happen. I dont care about 4k as no music videos are shot in 4k so at best its going to be just an upscale which i loathe anyway(even more so when fans upscale vhs/dvd files to 4k - whats the point ?? - just to get praise im sure )

i would be more than happy to just get true 1080p files with pcm stereo and pressed on a blu ray so i can watch whenever and wherever i want - i cant stand youtube video compression. To my knowledge though no major artist has yet to release any music videos on a blu ray (not even MJ) and there are plenty of artists who could that i would gladly buy(Gaga, Bjork, Prince, Belinda Carlisle, Garbage)

Im not really a massive Carey fan but i was impressed with her daydream tour blu-ray and at least she bothers to release stuff from her archives(rarities), why cant M be botherde is the biggest question of all ??? she knows we all want it :(

40 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

This is probably my fave discussion on M(Plus anything to do with unreleased demos and concerts)

To be honest i dont know if this will ever happen. I dont care about 4k as no music videos are shot in 4k so at best its going to be just an upscale which i loathe anyway(even more so when fans upscale vhs/dvd files to 4k - whats the point ?? - just to get praise im sure )

If the videos were shot on film and that film is transferred the resolution is whatever size that transfer was. Technically any film transfer is an upscale but the advantage is that even if you transfer it in 20k it will still retain all the detail.

6 hours ago, Warm Gun said:

4K? I'm not that greedy. I'd be very happy with grainy, more saturated, filmic looking native HD Blu-rays. I don't think we will ever get anything as packed as the Celebration DVDs, though. Not even close to it.

All film today is transferred in 4K by default. So if they go this route they will have the video in 4K regardless 

11 hours ago, anton5000 said:

Thanks for the thorough explanation! My concern is for the music videos shot after the 1990s (when editing software began to appear, rather than manual cut and paste, transition effects, etc)... which yes, could've been shot in film but then if it was scanned at whatever resolution the machine was capable at the time (576p probably), feed that into the video editing program and edit from there, the master would be locked at that resolution (or whatever resolution a master tape would handle, but I doubt 4K or even HD). Unless specifically it was re-exported back into film.

So in that case, it would be somewhat of a complicated job as they'd have to scan all the original film footage again in 4K, and have someone to re-edit the music video (or replicate it frame by frame as the original) to have the same result. I think George Michael did that with one of his videos (the director himself was involved in the re-editing process) and it looked amazing. However, I doubt Warner/Madonna would invest that much money, time, and people power into doing something like this... which is very sad considering she has many best videos ever in the pop music history :( Maybe they'll put an effort only with big videos like Vogue.

Re-editing a video is quite easy based on the original. I’m not a pro and I can probably do it in 3-4 days. The real challenge is editing the original from scratch, but once you have that replicating it is easy in digital. You just cut the footage on top of the original one.

We are all praising the work that was done for George Michael. But Last Christmas was missing some footage and they mixed in some upscaled shots. 
For Queen they were missing some footage as well and in some parts they did slight changes to the original edit. Also they recreated some of the special FX with current technology and even though it looks much better they are different from the original.

If they did any of this to Madonnas videos there would be major meltdowns around here haha

6 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

All film today is transferred in 4K by default. So if they go this route they will have the video in 4K regardless 

Most movies are still coming to Blu-ray only, sometimes because of the costs of doing HDR, sometimes because the movie doesn't have enough color range for HDR (Though there are some 4K discs in SDR.) or is only 16 mm (I don't believe that's relevant here.), sometimes because the movie was only scanned in 2K (even in 2021), and I guess sometimes because the distributors don't think enough people will pay the 4K price. I know some of those factors wouldn't matter if they were uploaded to YouTube, but I don't care about YouTube music videos for the most part. The YT compression even on 4K is so brutal that I'm sure a 1080p disc will still have less of those artifacts.

8 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

i would be more than happy to just get true 1080p files with pcm stereo and pressed on a blu ray so i can watch whenever and wherever i want - i cant stand youtube video compression. To my knowledge though no major artist has yet to release any music videos on a blu ray (not even MJ) and there are plenty of artists who could that i would gladly buy(Gaga, Bjork, Prince, Belinda Carlisle, Garbage)

Im not really a massive Carey fan but i was impressed with her daydream tour blu-ray and at least she bothers to release stuff from her archives(rarities), why cant M be botherde is the biggest question of all ??? she knows we all want it :(

The Beatles released their music videos on Blu-ray.