Why did Take a Bow miss the top ten in the UK? (#16)

androiduser

3 hours ago, deathproof said:

Take a Bow is a fucking amazing song. Anyone that thinks otherwise should just delete their account here.

Should we answer 'Heil Hitler' ?

It's not a bad song for me. Actually it's an excellent melody and lyrics are beautiful but arrangements (production) has grown badly. I remember discovering the song when I bought BS and directly adore this song (but it was in 1999 I think...). But few years after I couldn't listining it anymore...

But it's a good song that would have need to be re-arranged for live shows. During Stuart Prices years it would have been huge...

Instead of making karaoke on edited cd album instrumental for RHT...

Agree with most of what's already been said - it was at a time late 94/early 95 where house/club music was really the trend not R&B ballads and with no dance remixes it did not get the same interest the other singles from the album got which all had really truly fantastic remixes as part of the release and promotion.  The CD did not offer anything that was not already on the album so if people had bought the album there was no reason to buy the Take A Bow single too.

On 1/8/2023 at 3:31 PM, MPowered said:

I can't wait for the Take a Bow stems to leak some day, so we can strip it of the cheesy Babyface production and leave it with only the vocals and the beautiful orchestral accompaniment. 

Yes, I’d love to hear a version that replaces that horrible xylophone keyboard, it just oozes cheese and sticks it firmly in 90s easy listening. 

12 hours ago, MDNA22 said:

Agree with most of what's already been said - it was at a time late 94/early 95 where house/club music was really the trend not R&B ballads and with no dance remixes it did not get the same interest the other singles from the album got which all had really truly fantastic remixes as part of the release and promotion.  The CD did not offer anything that was not already on the album so if people had bought the album there was no reason to buy the Take A Bow single too.

The US was still on the soul and R&B cheese trend (Babyface, Mariah & Boyz II Men) which is the reason she recorded Bedtime Stories in the first place. It was the first time she had to genuinely try to appeal to the masses. However, managing to do this in a way that wouldn’t alienate her strong European and international audience was quite a challenge.

Bedtime Stories doesn’t seem to be one of her favorite albums and I really understand why. She felt obliged to limit her creative freedom to repair her image.