Favorite Official Video from First Album?

Donna

Favorite Official Video from Debut album?   

61 members voted

1. 1. What is your favorite official video from the Debut Album?

17 hours ago, WokeUpInMedellin said:

For me, "Burning Up" is the only video from this era that really hits. The look and the zany, sexy dancing really stand out visually in my mind and totally encapsulate the first album era.

You and many others (including me) agree.  But there are a lot of people who equally like Borderline just as much.  It's interesting to see where all us fans fall.  Thanks for your input.  :)

I'm a little surprised by the lack of love for the "Borderline" video! It's not my fave at all on her videography, but it's completely essential for her and maybe we wouldn't even have Madonna now without it. And we wouldn't have had the "Like A Virgin" and "Like A Prayer" videos after! It was literally the piece that put together the sound of her with the visuals, presenting for the first time a full Madonna package for millions of people. The one that made her mainstream.

It was literally a milestone for her. Even Warner executives changed their thoughts about her when they saw the potential after that one and went from not caring about her to putting big money on Nile Rodgers for the second album.

2 hours ago, Prayer said:

I'm a little surprised by the lack of love for the "Borderline" video! It's not my fave at all on her videography, but it's completely essential for her and maybe we wouldn't even have Madonna now without it. And we wouldn't have had the "Like A Virgin" and "Like A Prayer" videos after! It was literally the piece that put together the sound of her with the visuals, presenting for the first time a full Madonna package for millions of people. The one that made her mainstream.

It was literally a milestone for her. Even Warner executives changed their thoughts about her when they saw the potential after that one and went from not caring about her to putting big money on Nile Rodgers for the second album.

To be fair, Borderline is neck and neck with Burning Up, but I get what you are saying.  I was expecting Borderline to be leading by a mile or two. 

This video really propelled her.  It's just so interesting the evolution of her popularity because she was all too ready to put out a new album before Borderline even came close to fizzling out.  And then she had to wait even longer as the record company decided to release Lucky Star which was intended to be an earlier single.

On 7/21/2023 at 12:24 PM, Tony Fortin said:

Non official video

The first time I watched Holidays......heavy rotation on MTV.......loved the song, loved the style, loved the way she danced......forty years later, same feelings:heart:

Same here.  It's just gives you "feel good" vibes.  Such a classic.  It's amazing that the song is so iconic, yet didn't reach top 10 in the U.S.

Personally, I find music videos from the 80s quite boring and insipid, with a few exceptions. Perhaps because it was an industry that was just beginning to gain importance or perhaps because of the limitations of technology. It would not be until the end of this decade and the beginning of the 90s that all this would improve drastically. That is why there are very few Madonna videos from the 80s that manage to exceed my expectations.

MY vote went to Lucky Star because it's the only video I find entertaining to watch from start to finish. Something that is always effective when it comes to a music video where the proposal is based on showing a choreography by the main artist accompanied by some dancers.

Why didn't I vote for Everybody which is also a choreography based music video?

Because in the case of Everybody, the choreography is so repetitive that it's desperate. Seeing Madonna repeat the same steps over and over again, the terrible lighting, terrible costumes, hair and makeup will definitely take away valuable points from a video that could have been much better and was intended to be dynamic by being based on choreography.