Favorite Live Tour Performance of 'Holiday'?

Donna

Favorite Live 'Holiday' Tour performance?   

47 members voted

1. 1. Favorite TOUR performance of Holiday?

• Virgin Tour
    • Who's That Girl Tour
    • Blond Ambition Tour
    • Girlie Show
    • Drowned World Tour
    • Re-Invention Tour
    • Sticky and Sweet Tour ('09)
    • Rebel Heart Tour
  2. 2. Favorite non-tour performance of Holiday?

• American Bandstand '84
    • Top of the Pops '84
    • Solid Gold '84
    • Live Aid '85
    • Brixton Academy 2000
    • Selected MDNA Shows 2012
    • Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon 2015
    • Tears of a Clown 2016
    • Other?

With the "Holiday" single officially turning 40 (originally released Sept. 7th 1983), I thought it was time to poll your favorite live tour performance of the song.  Believe it or not, the song actually showed up in some capacity on all her tours, with the exception of Madame X Experience.  Though, I'm only polling the tours the song was actually performed. 

As an added bonus, I'm including a second poll asking what is your favorite from some of her well known performances beyond tours.  If you choose, "other" please reply to the thread with a choice I didn't provide.  Can't wait to see the results. 

And here's a "Holiday" performance compilation throughout the years. Enjoy!

Check out an interesting live cover version of the song:

Hidden Content

Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.

BAT is iconic, and my favorite overall. It’s the most concise. GS and WTG drag on a bit too long imo. The later ones are all just ok.

Virgin Tour would prob be my second favorite and Live Aid is basically the same performance so I picked that one for the second. As far as the mimed promo performances go the one by the pool is prob my favorite.

Idk why that song always got the pause for her to talk to the audience on those early tours lol. 

I voted WTG cause it is very powerful, with great audience interaction. But of course the BAT version is so beautiful, very entertaining. Always nice to see her smiling.

I also love the DWT rendition, very stylish. Simple but musically interesting, and the interaction with N&D is perfect, as always.

Since Blond Ambition is the obvious answer (and is basically perfection), I went with the other obvious choice - Drowned World Tour. That version is so goddamn FUNKY. The absolute PERFECT reinvention, and with the Stardust sample to boot. And to top it off, the fact that it's staged so simply - just M, Donna and Niki. The magic that those three are is on perfect display here. And it's a testament that contrary to what so many seem to think, Madonna doesn't actually need all the production. Performances like this prove the woman is a goddamn superstar.

For single performance, I chose Live Aid, because again, how simple it really is...and it's M at her earliest rise to superstar status. The proof why she became the greatest female artist of all time.

22 hours ago, Enrico said:

I voted WTG cause it is very powerful, with great audience interaction. But of course the BAT version is so beautiful, very entertaining. Always nice to see her smiling.

I also love the DWT rendition, very stylish. Simple but musically interesting, and the interaction with N&D is perfect, as always.

I voted BAT, but WTG and DWT are definitely up there as well.  I chose the Brixton Academy being it was so close to DWT version which I agree is just epic especially with Nikki and Donna joining her. 

Fans would flip their lids if those two ladies join her on stage even for a surprise appearance for one of Celebration Tour shows.

On 8/27/2023 at 8:12 PM, Blue Skies said:

This is probably my favorite but I’m not sure it counts as I believe it wasn’t live

There's always been rumors surrounding this was supposed to be a filming for an actual official video, but Warner just never put out any money to make a video at the time. They were aiming to release Lucky Star first (which did in the UK), but Holiday in the U.S. got a lot of radio support, so Warners went ahead and released it as a single quickly.