SEX book auction at Christie's NY

PlasticLimbo

https://twitter.com/plasticlimbo/status/1705801194168299766?t=rKiKCyAjunf5D_DzKWFwpw&s=19

In honor of the ongoing anniversary celebration of Madonna and Saint Laurent's reissue of SEX , Christie's will present Madonna x Meisel - The SEX Photographs, an auction featuring over 40 previously unreleased works, each as an edition of one, in a live sale on 6 October.

https://www.christies.com/en/stories/in-1992-madonna-s-em-sex-em-book-made-waves-today-837c7588b0c74efe8c11c7e8df0c1678

Screenshot_20230924_021244_Chrome.thumb.jpg.36b41dea62c02e77d77d3c364d13aeb5.jpg

‘I am my own experiment. I am my own work of art,’ Madonna told Vanity Fair in 1991. The following year she embarked on a project that embodied this sentiment in every sense. Made in collaboration with Steven Meisel, Madonna’s notorious SEX book saw the pop idol take on the dual role of creator and subject in a boundary-breaking series of photographs that were at once playful, erotic and liberated. 

The publication was an instant sensation. Madonna was the unequivocal protagonist of SEX, which included some of the most famous faces of the 1990s and sold more than 1.5 million copies worldwide. Not without controversy, the title drew both praise and criticism for its outspoken treatment of sexual themes. Banned in 3 countries upon its release, it remains the fastest-selling coffee table book of all time.

On 6 October Christie’s will present Madonna x Meisel – The SEX Photographs, a live auction of over 40 works, as editions of one. ‘This is the only chance to own one of these works as a fine art print’, says Darius Himes, Christie’s Deputy Chairman and International Head of Photographs. A portion of the proceeds from the auction will go to Raising Malawi. A curated selection of the offered photographs has already toured Paris and London and will be on view at Christie’s New York from 30 September through 6 October. 

The sale is part of an ongoing anniversary celebration initiated by the recent re-issue of SEX in 2022. Madonna and Saint Laurent’s Creative Director Anthony Vaccarello marked the 30th anniversary with a first-ever limited re-edition of the notorious book and an exhibition at Miami’s Art Basel.

On 9/24/2023 at 11:03 PM, WokeUpInMedellin said:

I believe the work will be on display for a number of days beforehand, correct? Open to the public

Wow I would love to view these too...

According the website it says viewing times at 20 Rockefeller Centre are... 

Viewing

30 Sep 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM

1 Oct 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM

2 Oct 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM

3 Oct 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM

4 Oct 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM

5 Oct 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM

6 Oct 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM

Hope that helps!

https://www.christies.com/en/auction/madonna-x-meisel-the-sex-photographs-30299/overview#viewing

Curious to see if anyone participated in the Live Auction today? Well, I did and somehow, I ended up winning one of the photos (which I did not bid on, or don't remember doing so). The overall results were disappointing as they expected massive demand/turnout but at those starting bids, it was not a surprise to see many lots did not sell (not met minimum). 

The exhibit was absolutely breathtaking though, to see all those pictures up close in high res, blown up was out of this world.

Long live Dita Parlo!

4 minutes ago, truerebel said:

Curious to see if anyone participated in the Live Auction today? Well, I did and somehow, I ended up winning one of the photos (which I did not bid on, or don't remember doing so). The overall results were disappointing as they expected massive demand/turnout but at those starting bids, it was not a surprise to see many lots did not sell (not met minimum). 

The exhibit was absolutely breathtaking though, to see all those pictures up close in high res, blown up was out of this world.

Long live Dita Parlo!

Well, at least a congrats for winning one of the photos! :)

19 hours ago, truerebel said:

Long live Dita Parlo!

Wow, you got one? I didn't attend the auction but I did attend the gallery viewing. Photos were stunning. I'm surprised to hear the turnout and bidding was low. How did you not bid on it, but still end up having to pay for it? Can you clarify? 

8 minutes ago, WokeUpInMedellin said:

Wow, you got one? I didn't attend the auction but I did attend the gallery viewing. Photos were stunning. I'm surprised to hear the turnout and bidding was low. How did you not bid on it, but still end up having to pay for it? Can you clarify? 

I was online during the live bidding, and most likely accidentally hit place bid on one of the lots.