How influential was Truth or Dare with modern reality TV?

Blue Skies

I want to say @McDonnaand I talked about this at some point but will throw it out for different perspectives.

The nicest thing I could say about reality TV is I’m not a fan.  Kardashians, Jersey Shore, Real Housewives, etc…. Was even disappointed Sly Stallone did show reality show I read with his daughters.

But wasn’t Truth or Dare the first sort of popular mainstream film of that format?  I recall Hoop Dreams years later.  

Only thing I know of before that was Andy Warhol filmed his lover sleeping for 6 hours in a documentary called Sleep.  Also there was a l line in the film Three O Clock High from the 80s, Pain is temporary, film is forever 

2 hours ago, Blue Skies said:

The nicest thing I could say about reality TV is I’m not a fan.  Kardashians, Jersey Shore, Real Housewives, etc…. Was even disappointed Sly Stallone did show reality show I read with his daughters.

But wasn’t Truth or Dare the first sort of popular mainstream film of that format?  I recall Hoop Dreams years later.  

No. It was always considered a documentary film. The concept of ‘Reality show’ started ten years later with ‘Big Brother’

2 hours ago, Blue Skies said:

I want to say @McDonnaand I talked about this at some point but will throw it out for different perspective.

But wasn’t Truth or Dare the first sort of popular mainstream film of that format?  

Only thing I know of before that was Andy Warhol filmed his lover sleeping for 6 hours in a documentary called Sleep.  Also there was a l line in the film Three O Clock High from the 80s, Pain is temporary, film is forever 

Nah. Bob Dylan did his tour documentary Don't Look Back In Anger, in 1987, and then we had the film about Woodstock in 1970, and there is a whole bunch of documentaries about The Rolling Stones. 

35 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

No. It was always considered a documentary film. The concept of ‘Reality show’ started ten years later with ‘Big Brother’

Well, MTV's Real World started in 1992, and I think it was the first reality show in Sweden. (Rge Real World: Stockholm, in 1995)
And later Big Brother exploded and was huge here in Sweden for a few years.

MTV's Real World really kicked off the Reality nonsense.  I hate it too.  I will admit that I did watch that first season off and on, but I quickly got bored of it.  Back then it was more real than anything now.  The more popular reality TV got, the more ridiculous and "unrealistic" it got.

Madonna's Truth Or Dare was always billed as a music documentary. It was only as reality TV started growing, people started making comparisons and saying her documentary was the first contribution to mainstream reality. I think Madonna even said something of the sort as well.  I don't believe Truth or Dare was responsible for Reality TV.  I don't believe anyone sat around and thought to create a reality series based on her movie.  It just became over time a comparison of what has become of Reality TV now.

5 hours ago, Blue Skies said:

I also think the same thing. In many of these programs it seems that they look for the most scandalous, loud and vulgar people to promote drama and chaos and thus guarantee the success of the program. I prefer those reality shows where the theme is to follow the day-to-day life of a certain artist and get to know him/her in other facets away from the spotlight. I think I once read somewhere that Madonna was planning to do a program of this type but it seems that in the end it was just a rumor.

Regarding your question, I don't think I could answer it properly because I haven't seen the entire documentary yet, only some excerpts. Something totally inconsequential for a Madonna fan, but at least in my defense I can say that I love I'm going to tell you a secret, a documentary where we can finally see a more open, mature and spiritual Madonna: that scene where Madonna cries alongside her dancers perfectly sums up everything I'm saying.

Perhaps it is for that and other reasons that to this day I have not had a real enthusiasm for seeing Truth or Dare even though I feel the obligation, as a fan, to have to see it in its entirety one day.

This is a very old discussion.

Short story: music tour documentaries were boring as hell at the start of the video era and TV didn't make anything that looked unscripted unless it was news reports until some point. In between, Truth or Dare happened, with one of the most famous people in the world touring one of the most influential tours in female / eastern / modern / pop history while making so many statements about living your life as a celebrity and being on camera all the time.

So yes, M and Keshishian foretold many things.

The first reality show was sometime in the 70's here in the States I think. Was about a family and the son eventually came out as gay. My memory of it is vague ("Vanna White, Ed McMahon, Nicolette Sheridan"...let's see who gets this...)

The Real World  was really the one that set it off though. Survivor and Big Brother brought in the game show factor.

Truth or Dare for me was Madonna playing MADONNA. Performance art. Not even a documentary. I'm sure many will disagree. 

10 hours ago, Pootz333 said:

The first reality show was sometime in the 70's here in the States I think. Was about a family and the son eventually came out as gay. My memory of it is vague ("Vanna White, Ed McMahon, Nicolette Sheridan"...let's see who gets this...)

The Real World  was really the one that set it off though. Survivor and Big Brother brought in the game show factor.

Truth or Dare for me was Madonna playing MADONNA. Performance art. Not even a documentary. I'm sure many will disagree. 

Yes 'An American Family"

13 hours ago, Pootz333 said:

Medusa! :hearteyes:

18 hours ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

I also think the same thing. In many of these programs it seems that they look for the most scandalous, loud and vulgar people to promote drama and chaos and thus guarantee the success of the program. I prefer those reality shows where the theme is to follow the day-to-day life of a certain artist and get to know him/her in other facets away from the spotlight. I think I once read somewhere that Madonna was planning to do a program of this type but it seems that in the end it was just a rumor.

Regarding your question, I don't think I could answer it properly because I haven't seen the entire documentary yet, only some excerpts. Something totally inconsequential for a Madonna fan, but at least in my defense I can say that I love I'm going to tell you a secret, a documentary where we can finally see a more open, mature and spiritual Madonna: that scene where Madonna cries alongside her dancers perfectly sums up everything I'm saying.

Perhaps it is for that and other reasons that to this day I have not had a real enthusiasm for seeing Truth or Dare even though I feel the obligation, as a fan, to have to see it in its entirety one day.

I was right from the beginning. You can only be a troll. No way anyone would use this choice of words as seriously. From now on I will pretend you were banned from Infinity.

13 hours ago, Pootz333 said:

I second every word of yours. One more reason to believe in Chris Ciccone's dirty clothing laundry.

On 11/21/2023 at 8:14 AM, McDonna said:

MTV's Real World really kicked off the Reality nonsense.  I hate it too.  I will admit that I did watch that first season off and on, but I quickly got bored of it.  Back then it was more real than anything now.  The more popular reality TV got, the more ridiculous and "unrealistic" it got.

Madonna's Truth Or Dare was always billed as a music documentary. It was only as reality TV started growing, people started making comparisons and saying her documentary was the first contribution to mainstream reality. I think Madonna even said something of the sort as well.  I don't believe Truth or Dare was responsible for Reality TV.  I don't believe anyone sat around and thought to create a reality series based on her movie.  It just became over time a comparison of what has become of Reality TV now.

Whether they did it purposefully or not I think there was a degree of influence there. The MTV connection between Madonna and the first season of The Real World is undeniable, plus the fact that the filming of the first season happened very soon after Truth or Dare’s release (Real World filmed in 1991, aired in 92) and there were also parts in Truth or Dare similar to the confessionals, where Madonna sort of narrated stuff, just like the cast members do. The concept of strangers being in a situation where people from different walks of life are forced together for a purpose also came from Truth or Dare (the dancers’ different backgrounds, vs. getting a Southern Belle mixing with a gay guy and black people on Real World, for example)

5 minutes ago, adirondak said:

Whether they did it purposefully or not I think there was a degree of influence there. The MTV connection between Madonna and the first season of The Real World is undeniable, plus the fact that the filming of the first season happened very soon after Truth or Dare’s release (Real World filmed in 1991, aired in 92) and there were also parts in Truth or Dare similar to the confessionals, where Madonna sort of narrated stuff, just like the cast members do. The concept of strangers being in a situation where people from different walks of life are forced together for a purpose also came from Truth or Dare (the dancers’ different backgrounds, vs. getting a Southern Belle mixing with a gay guy and black people on Real World, for example)

Nah, I don't think Truth or Dare was immediately in mind when they came up with Real World.  But the element of getting people together under one unity, is definitely similar between the two.  I don't see it influencing Real World though, but I can see why some might think that after the fact, and that's what has happened. 

2 minutes ago, McDonna said:

Nah, I don't think Truth or Dare was immediately in mind when they came up with Real World.  But the element of getting people together under one unity, is definitely similar between the two.  I don't see it influencing Real World though, but I can see why some might think that after the fact, and that's what has happened. 

It may not have been intentional in the concept, but in MTV greenlighting it, I have no doubt Truth or Dare’s success played a part. 

On 11/22/2023 at 7:26 AM, Anapausis said:

I was right from the beginning. You can only be a troll. No way anyone would use this choice of words as seriously. From now on I will pretend you were banned from Infinity.

"Oh, you caught me!:suffer: Yes, I'm a troll just like you. Now you will no longer be able to brag that you are the only troll on this forum as if that were something to be proud of. Something, by the way, quite revealing about someone whose life must be "quite interesting"".

Now, seriously, remember that we are in a Madonna forum. All our opinions should be related to her and not use this space to offend other users as you have done to me by giving me a thousand and one nicknames. I hope you keep your word. And finally a piece of advice: GET A LIFE!!!

35i0pzn.jpg

1 hour ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

"Oh, you caught me!:suffer: Yes, I'm a troll just like you. Now you will no longer be able to brag that you are the only troll on this forum as if that were something to be proud of. Something, by the way, quite revealing about someone whose life must be "quite interesting"".

Now, seriously, remember that we are in a Madonna forum. All our opinions should be related to her and not use this space to offend other users as you have done to me by giving me a thousand and one nicknames. I hope you keep your word. And finally a piece of advice: GET A LIFE!!!

35i0pzn.jpg

I ain't have read any of your words nor I will. Your Aguilera gif was enough to me. Excuse me, why I am replying to a banned member? Am I nuts or what?