Vogue has been RIAA-certified 3X Platinum

proxy

5 minutes ago, Dj Garrido said:

What does it mean in numbers? 3 million copies? 

Typically means close to 3 million.  I think anything over 2.5 Million can be certified 3X platinum.  Also, RIAA is U.S. base, so this is just for the U.S.  Meanwhile, the song has sold around 6 million world-wide.  :)

9 minutes ago, Donna said:

Typically means close to 3 million.  I think anything over 2.5 Million can be certified 3X platinum.  Also, RIAA is U.S. base, so this is just for the U.S.  Meanwhile, the song has sold around 6 million world-wide.  :)

Hmm i always thought it was 4x platinum in the US

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Hmm i always thought it was 4x platinum in the US

So far,  even with the 3X platinum certification, sales still show 2,000,000 in the U.S.  My guess the exact numbers haven't been updated and it's closer to 3,000,000 now.  But yeah, as massive as that song was, I'm suprised it's not 5 million or more in the U.S. 

4 minutes ago, Donna said:

So far,  even with the 3X platinum certification, sales still show 2,000,000 in the U.S.  My guess the exact numbers haven't been updated and it's closer to 3,000,000 now.  But yeah, as massive as that song was, I'm suprised it's not 5 million or more in the U.S. 

2 million physical, plus 311k digital as of 2010. If you add whatever else it sold digitally w/streaming it probably fills in the gap.

LAP is supposedly due for 5x platinum. It sold 2 million physical even though it was only certified platinum, 1.1 million digital as of 2016, and whatever else since plus streaming. Maybe they’ll wait on it to see whatever bump it gets from that movie.

It's weird that suddenly they're certifying "Papa", "Vogue"... and without anything big linked to it (for instance the "TIC" update came when they released the Atmos Mix version, fair enough, but "Papa" with the digital single and "Vogue" now with nothing). Those things cost money to do them from the label in the US, so...

Something's coming over... or they just want to make her see they're doing something in between projects to justify their role. (Justify My Role).

7 minutes ago, Prayer said:

It's weird that suddenly they're certifying "Papa", "Vogue"... and without anything big linked to it (for instance the "TIC" update came when they released the Atmos Mix version, fair enough, but "Papa" with the digital single and "Vogue" now with nothing). Those things cost money to do them from the label in the US, so...

Something's coming over... or they just want to make her see they're doing something in between projects to justify their role. (Justify My Role).

And I think Into The Groove was certified recently I think Platinum?

57 minutes ago, Prayer said:

My guess this is just an extension to the deal Warner and Madonna put together to further cultivate her back catalog. Let's face it, it's overdue, so I'm excited to see if more songs will be updated in the near future. 

59 minutes ago, A. A. Aardvark said:

"...she’s always pinched the best bits of subculture and repackaged them for the mainstream."
:dance:
https://intothepopvoid.com/2016/01/30/malcolm-mclaren-the-bootzilla-orchestra-deep-in-vogue/ 

“There was a bit of an attempt at a pop row at the time about how she’d stolen the whole idea from Malcolm, but it never amounted to much because she’s always pinched the best bits of subculture and repackaged them for the mainstream. And it was actually a bit of a moot point in this case – notwithstanding the fact that Malcolm himself was appropriating it from the Harlem Ballroom scene of the late 1980s, in pop the concept had been around since as far back as 1975.”

At least they point that out. I 🙄 when I see people online looking for a gotcha moment try to act like McLaren was this unsung hero when in reality he was as much of a vulture as people think she is.

3 hours ago, JustinTimes said:

When they say the song "Vogue" what do they actually mean. Does it mean all versions and remixes or just the Album Version from I'm Breathless?

Nowadays w/digital music & streaming, when it comes to certifying a “single” all versions qualify. So Breathless, Immaculate, Celebration, the digital single mixes, FEL all count.