Rebel Heart Tour DVD | Showtime Premiere

Bat-Fan

I respectfully disagree about RHT.  I thought it was pure brilliance.  Every aspect of the tour is set on a schedule, the push back doesn't mean the tour was rushed, there are too many variables involved or outside issues that have to be taken into account for too.  Thematically, I consider RHT one of her best and over time will be a classic.

And thanks to that push back I was able to see her in Miami in late January as she rescheduled and added some Northamerican dates  :cute:

I'm very sorry for those fans who purchased tickets to attend the original opening night but hell, it did make a favor to dozens of Latinamerican fans  :)

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course I'm not saying for sure it was rushed, but to me it comes across that way, and I was just listing the different things that make me believe something happened during production. I might be wrong.

In the end it's not among my favourite tours simply because of the way it is. It's similar to Girlie Show Tour, a bigger focus on vintage (even then) themes and a bigger focus on her vocals, light and showgirly attitude. I get why other people love it though if they prefer that. 

While I find her lovely as a person in it, I don't find the show interesting. MDNA would probably be the opposite, she was quite serious in it mostly but the show was interesting to me. Others didn't like MDNA Tour as much and that's fine. 

I don't see how The Girlie Show was "light". It was quite dark and confrontational especially for its time. 

I loved MDNA and RHT. I do think that RHT would've worked great in the set up that MDNA tour had - stadium shows. MDNA show would've been much better as an arena tour. 

Of course I'm not saying for sure it was rushed, but to me it comes across that way, and I was just listing the different things that make me believe something happened during production. I might be wrong.

In the end it's not among my favourite tours simply because of the way it is. It's similar to Girlie Show Tour, a bigger focus on vintage (even then) themes and a bigger focus on her vocals, light and showgirly attitude. I get why other people love it though if they prefer that. 

While I find her lovely as a person in it, I don't find the show interesting. MDNA would probably be the opposite, she was quite serious in it mostly but the show was interesting to me. Others didn't like MDNA Tour as much and that's fine. 

LOL... yeah see.  I loved The Girlie Show Tour and not so much with MDNA

I don't see how The Girlie Show was "light". It was quite dark and confrontational especially for its time.

What is dark in it though? Madonna and her brother recreated stuff from famous musicals. Referencing Singing In The Rain, Anchors Aweigh or My Fair Lady are so unrelated to the whole Erotica project, not to mention she used remixes instead of the original, actually darker instrumentation of the album versions.

I think Fighter is comparing the Rebel Heart Tour to the Girlie Show simply because both shows had this positive message throughout the songs that made you feel comfortable most of the time. Yes, both shows had these sad moments in between but it was not the same sadness she clearly portrayed at the Drowned World and MDNA shows. The Sticky & Sweet Tour was also another example of how light-hearted a Madonna show can be (just like the Virgin Tour) where the only ballad was a true love song (You Must Love Me) and if there were tears in between, they were of happiness (except for the Marseille show cancelled in 2009).

What is dark in it though? Madonna and her brother recreated stuff from famous musicals. Referencing Singing In The Rain, Anchors Aweigh or My Fair Lady are so unrelated to the whole Erotica project, not to mention she used remixes instead of the original, actually darker instrumentation of the album versions.

Uhm, the whole opening - giant pole, Erotica, the walk, Fever, flames? Then you've got the disco orgy that leads to Why's It So Hard, In This Life and The Beast Within (AIDS crisis - talk about dark). Justify My Love staging is dark too. It's not a happy show. For today's standards it's all a walk in the park but this was 1993 and the show was incredibly edgy and risqué for its time. It was far less commercial in its appeal than Blond Ambition - the song choices, the arrangements, staging, etc. 

I loved MDNA and RHT. I do think that RHT would've worked great in the set up that MDNA tour had - stadium shows. MDNA show would've been much better as an arena tour. 

You're right it did have dark moments. But RHT and TOAC also have darkness behind the surface.  

Uhm, the whole opening - giant pole, Erotica, the walk, Fever, flames? Then you've got the disco orgy that leads to Why's It So Hard, In This Life and The Beast Within (AIDS crisis - talk about dark). Justify My Love staging is dark too. It's not a happy show. For today's standards it's all a walk in the park but this was 1993 and the show was incredibly edgy and risqué for its time. It was far less commercial in its appeal than Blond Ambition - the song choices, the arrangements, staging, etc. 

None of that is actually dark or sinister, most of it is camp. I especially don't see how the disco orgy is dark, it's a reference to Studio 54 and she is dressed up like Gloria Gaynor. In This Life is hopeful (not like Lament or something). Justify My Love is also anachronistically over the top.

The show was just as commercial as Rebel Heart Tour, she used the radio friendly remixes instead of original arrangements and she did one song at least from all of her studio albums. Like A Virgin is the sole exception but that one is the most direct homage of the show.

Who considered it edgy and risqué at the time? Here's a press review from 1993: http://www.nytimes.com/1993/10/16/arts/review-pop-from-madonna-a-new-palatability-but-still-spicy.html

The show is not really remembered mostly for the reasons that review states, not to mention it was mostly a tour for Latin America and Australia...

None of that is actually dark or sinister, most of it is camp. I especially don't see how the disco orgy is dark, it's a reference to Studio 54 and she is dressed up like Gloria Gaynor. In This Life is hopeful (not like Lament or something). Justify My Love is also anachronistically over the top.

The show was just as commercial as Rebel Heart Tour, she used the radio friendly remixes instead of original arrangements and she did one song at least from all of her studio albums. Like A Virgin is the sole exception but that one is the most direct homage of the show.

Who considered it edgy and risqué at the time? Here's a press review from 1993: http://www.nytimes.com/1993/10/16/arts/review-pop-from-madonna-a-new-palatability-but-still-spicy.html

The show is not really remembered mostly for the reasons that review states, not to mention it was mostly a tour for Latin America and Australia...

"In this life, I loved you most of all - what for?" - hopeful?. What about the performance - Madonna sombre, alone on stage holding back the tears? Cathartic, perhaps, but I'd never call this song hopeful. 

I suppose we come from different perspectives here. I actually didn't like the tour much when I saw it first (HBO broadcast in 1993). I was 14 at the time and didn't get its references and didn't find it as instantly appealing as Blond Ambition (No Like A Prayer or Papa Don't Preach but we get The Beast Within and I'm Going Bananas?). Over the years however I grew to absolutely adore everything about this show. Each to their own I suppose. ;)

Anyways, back to Rebel Heart! 

Can't wait to watch the tour, I only saw some videos (not for every song) on youtube and it seems amazing.
Loved the intro with Iconic, guitar on Burning Up, ''pole cross'' on Holy Water and the end with Unapologetic Bitch.
As for the final product: I hope it to be like The Confessions Tour, they did a great job in the editing room. Hopefully they won't use the MDNA filters and that shaky/freaky camera that moves incessantly.

The RHT wasn't rushed, it just had lower budget than her previous tour because 1.)it was an all-arena tour 2.) they knew from the beginning she's not making another $300M with RHT. But it didn't really matter because she made it up with her own charisma.She was the focal point of the entire show, unlike MDNAT when she was basically engulfed by the extravagant spectacles. Oh and the Messiah interlude was BEAUTIFUL. Who cares if it was recycled?

What was great about the tour was its consistency. Every section had their own merits and they're equally great. The only "meh" moments on the show were Devil Pray/SEX/Unapologetic Bitch. 

The RHT wasn't rushed, it just had lower budget than her previous tour because 1.)it was an all-arena tour 2.) they knew from the beginning she's not making another $300M with RHT. But it didn't really matter because she made it up with her own charisma.She was the focal point of the entire show, unlike MDNAT when she was basically engulfed by the extravagant spectacles. Oh and the Messiah interlude was BEAUTIFUL. Who cares if it was recycled?

What was great about the tour was its consistency. Every section had their own merits and they're equally great. The only "meh" moments on the show were Devil Pray/SEX/Unapologetic Bitch. 

I just don't think it's as creative as MDNA Tour. I know it had lower budget and all that. 

I liked Unapologetic Bitch but didn't care much for Burning Up. It was probably better than the RIT version though, but it's not a revelation.

Oh and I didnt really like the Messiah interlude. I like the song itself though.

And that's a special treat she should do with every tour! First time she did it at the S&S and selected shows at the MDNA tour had surprise songs.

I would love to see her singing Bad Girl, I really don't know/understand why she sang it live only at SNL in 1993.

Such a beautiful song, it deserves more than only one live performance.

I just don't think it's as creative as MDNA Tour. I know it had lower budget and all that. 

Oh it surely wasn't. And M did mention in an interview that RHT would be a mix of her previous tours, and I understand why some may not be fond of that kitchen sink approach. IMO this tour almost feels like a wrapping up of a chapter and I believe her future concerts will be a lot different.

MDNAT was the rushed one, and look at how well it all turned out.  I think MDNAT was the better show but RHT was the better concert, if that makes sense. MDNAT makes your jaw drop, but with RHT you have fun and laughter with her. Oh and the song choices were almost perfect. I melted when she started singing True Blue, when the intro of Deeper and Deeper kicked in, when she surprised us with the acoustic songs, when she belted out Love Don't Live Here Anymore. I don't think any song on MDNAT gave anyone the feeling of "omg FINALLY!!!".

Oh it surely wasn't. And M did mention in an interview that RHT would be a mix of her previous tours, and I understand why some may not be fond of that kitchen sink approach. IMO this tour almost feels like a wrapping up of a chapter and I believe her future concerts will be a lot different.

MDNAT was the rushed one, and look at how well it all turned out.  I think MDNAT was the better show but RHT was the better concert, if that makes sense. MDNAT makes your jaw drop, but with RHT you have fun and laughter with her. Oh and the song choices were almost perfect. I melted when she started singing True Blue, when the intro of Deeper and Deeper kicked in, when she surprised us with the acoustic songs, when she belted out Love Don't Live Here Anymore. I don't think any song on MDNAT gave anyone the feeling of "omg FINALLY!!!".

Right, I agree with everything you said. I'm still fascinated though by MDNA Tour, I guess I don't care that much what songs she sings as long as it's interesting, and I prefer when songs are re-invented. I didn't now she had actually said RHT was a mix of her previous tours but it makes sense... maybe it was just so she could finally bring all the tours she promised to Australia that she had cancelled after all lol

I think for her MDNA Tour must have been rewarding artistically but a nightmare to endure, kinda like BAT... so she chilled out more on the next one both times...

• madgefan changed the title to Rebel Heart Tour DVD | Showtime Premiere
  • madgefan pinned, pinned, pinned and pinned this topic
  • madgefan pinned this topic