Hung Up vs. Living for Love

Headless.Headphones

41 members voted

1. 1. Fav?

• Hung Up
    • Living for Love

Hung. Up.

I remember when it leaked, I was in college. I burned that shit to a CD-R and gave it to the local DJ to play at the club in town. People went INSANE! Some people that don't even know Madonna danced their asses off. It was the best friggin night ever.

Hung Up hands down.

That song saved me so many times in high school. Whenever I was feeling like an outcast or picked apart, I would listen to that song and it would make me feel better. LFL is good, but it's nothing next to Hung Up

yes Hung Up is meaningful which is something that people overlook all the time. Not too different actually from LFL's message about overcoming a relationship but I feel like Hung Up sounds a bit more universal and organic imho. And it's the most infectious songs she has ever released.

Hung Up has a good production in terms of sound, the ABBA sample works very well, but the lyrics are.... too simple. In the other hand Living For Love has a more elaborate lyrics and I think is much more mature, it is different from her other songs about overcoming a relationship, Express Yourself is more about ego, Gang Bang is about revenge, but Living For Love is about love and find yourself (and with the samples of secret project it is even about peace and love others) and i think musically has a little bit of the Like A Prayer feeling on it.

I'd have to choose Hung Up. The musical breakdown is life. 

Living for Love could have been amazing had it been tweaked a bit. 

I would remove the whiney vocal overlapped on the verses. Her raw vocal is fine as is. 

Make the choir more pronounced. 

And get rid of that generic 2008 bassline in the chorus. Seriously, who OKed that?

oh and also why her vocal gotta be so different in the second half of the second verse?@$8

Its like on Messiah when in the middle of the song it just gets super thin for no reason. 

I would remove the whiney vocal overlapped on the verses. Her raw vocal is fine as is. 

And get rid of that generic 2008 bassline in the chorus. Seriously, who OKed that?

oh and also why her vocal gotta be so different in the second half of the second verse?@$8

Its like on Messiah when in the middle of the song it just gets super thin for no reason. 

Messiah is a mess to me, it's not a ballad, it's not a show tune; caught in this grey area and it's such a bad song! than make it an interlude of course lol.

Hung Up is just genius the way it segues the ABBA sample into a futuristic song and how it seems to go back and forth in time.

It describes impatience, frustration, love and I like the dual meaning "Hung Up."

Sound and smells are great memory triggers and the ABBA sample which often sounds muddled or in the background seems to trigger a memory and the clock is ticking...

The song is genius and a perfect example of how music can affect us emotionally and the treasured place it has in our thoughts.

It's beyond clever.

Living For Love a little later...have to go to work.

Living For Love should've been stripped down like some of the other songs on the album. Too many production elements trying to take over at the same time, especially on the verses.

The song also works better in a higher key. I know that they have to adjust it for Madonna's current range but since it's recorded music I wish they would make it a bit higher. It would give it much more energy and it sounds much stronger. Same thing with Give Me All Your Luvin...

Anyone else think Living for Love (Demo 1) was totally Keiza but the song involved beautifully. People saying strip it down are crazy; if anything songs on Rebel were too stripped. Beautiful Scars wishes and myself that it was a disco infused bop. The title track is do dull! Hold Tight and Inside Out all suffered the same fate.

• 2 weeks later...

I choose living for love. Still my jam.

But I'm really curious about if Madonna let Diplo with this song to go to all the way.

I remember that some her RH promo interview she said that Diplo want to "go to all the way."

So she had to stop him and make it simpler.

I'm not sure this is right expression. But I agree with Diplo in this case. this song should go to all the way.

I really love this song but It feels like there some kind of lack of climax. 

Especially that chorus part. I want to hear that chorus part goes more dramatic and more powerful and more crazy.

something like "Like a prayer" and "Rescue me."

This single version is feel like too much control and restrain for me.

So I really wonder if Madonna let Diplo to go to all the way then what's gonna happened.