Rebel Heart - Album Thread [Happy 1st Birthday!]

groovyguy

I guess one thing we can be grateful for is that when Interscope purchased the Live Nation album distribution rights for $40m in 2011, it was for three albums. So, I assume we'll get one more album possibly Autumn 2017/Spring 2018 under the deal, just before she's 60, and then I predict she'll just become a free will artist, after all she'll be able to do what ever she wants at that stage. Interscope ballsed up with MDNA, and they ballsed up with Rebel Heart. Chances are they'll balls up with her next record too but they'll only be interested in making their $40m back. 

The same in France. I had to go in 4 different stores to finally find the deluxe. So people who want to discover the album after the Interview and perfs at le Grand Journal will search for the Deluxe cover and don't find it. It's the same things in some big cities here...

Well, I've seen the Deluxe a lot here, and even in some stores that didn't carry it, it was at least on th display ad.

Quite confusing actually : the display shows the Deluxe pic while the actually sold CD is the red sweater one... 

Thinking on it, does anyone else think the album photography is a bit, well, random? The rope concept is awesome yet nowhere else in the booklet is it featured at all. it should have had a more prominent purpose. Instead you get an image of her giving herself the Stigmata, a few with her baps looking pretty nice and her being sexy, one while she's wearing leopard skin knickers looking seductive and a few random images that don't really relate to anything! Perhaps I'm being picky, but it all seems a bit disjointed. CoaDF had superb photography, it all made sense and continued the flow of the album cover. As did Hard Candy.  

Thinking on it, does anyone else think the album photography is a bit, well, random? The rope concept is awesome yet nowhere else in the booklet is it featured at all. it should have had a more prominent purpose. Instead you get an image of her giving herself the Stigmata, a few with her baps looking pretty nice and her being sexy, one while she's wearing leopard skin knickers looking seductive and a few random images that don't really relate to anything! Perhaps I'm being picky, but it all seems a bit disjointed. CoaDF had superb photography, it all made sense and continued the flow of the album cover. As did Hard Candy.  

maybe she didnt like the rest of the ropes photoshoot or something, but yes, i have to agree...

Wow, that pic is amazing, both the poster and all the CDs! :) I agree that it's completely insane they way they have released the CDs for this album! Insane! Why should some countries not get the Super Deluxe or the Standard Edition (i.e NZ/Australia, and probably other countries as well)??!! Can you imagine if this would have been several years ago when we couldn't buy that many things online! People would have gone nuts! Imo when they release an album it should be released in every country.

Wow, that pic is amazing, both the poster and all the CDs! :) I agree that it's completely insane they way they have released the CDs for this album! Insane! Why should some countries not get the Super Deluxe or the Standard Edition (i.e NZ/Australia, and probably other countries as well)??!! Can you imagine if this would have been several years ago when we couldn't buy that many things online! People would have gone nuts! Imo when they release an album it should be released in every country.

my country is only getting the deluxe, no standard or super deluxe

I'm pissed about this review...... don't let Madonna know or she'll never come here....... shows they have no idea about good music here, as I knew already..... :cry: :cry: :suffer: omg....... Most people seem to listen to crap music down here anyways, so wtf can you expect.....? Sad....

NZ Herald 2.5/5

Ah Madonna. Despite that rare moment of vulnerability when she fell down the stairs at the Brit Awards last week, these days she mostly seems like an indestructible creation.

An ageless star who could keep dancing and singing and churning out records forever – whether anyone is still listening or not.

But despite that veneer, Madonna has grown older – and so have her fans – so to keep pretending she’s the same artist she was 20 years ago, or to keep trying to sound like she’s still in her 20s doesn’t really work.

And that confusion about her identity and who she is as a musician in 2015, means instead of presenting an empowering statement, Rebel Heart is a bit of a mess.

Ah Madonna. Despite that rare moment of vulnerability when she fell down the stairs at the Brit Awards last week, these days she mostly seems like an indestructible creation.

An ageless star who could keep dancing and singing and churning out records forever – whether anyone is still listening or not.

But despite that veneer, Madonna has grown older – and so have her fans – so to keep pretending she’s the same artist she was 20 years ago, or to keep trying to sound like she’s still in her 20s doesn’t really work.

And that confusion about her identity and who she is as a musician in 2015, means instead of presenting an empowering statement, Rebel Heart is a bit of a mess.

Watch the music video for Living For Love by Madonna:

It doesn’t really sound like the Madonna of old, it doesn’t sound like Madonna reinvented, it mostly sounds like a whole bunch of other people writing music for someone much younger, with Madonna contributing some pretty thin, overly-processed guest vocals.

It’s over-produced to an uncomfortable extreme, and is such a hodge-podge of ideas that just about every track sounds gimmicky.

There is some half decent pop songwriting underneath all the extraneous faff. Living For Love is a great single, and makes some sense with its uplifting, heartfelt, Madonna-like pop strength.

And Ghosttown feels like it could’ve been a decent 80s-tinged hit, but the chorus buries her vocals in a lot of fuzz, and it loses momentum.

Unapologetic Bitch is an interesting electro-reggae cut co-written with Diplo, but Madge’s voice sounds out of place, and overly thin in the context of the track. And that’s just the first of many moments where her identity as a musician seems lost.

Illuminati sounds like a trying-too-hard version of Lady Gaga meets MIA, and Iconic could definitely be accused of trying to emulate the success of Katy Perry’s Dark Horse. It’s not an awful track, but it doesn’t really feel fresh, nor does it feel classic.

Bitch I’m Madonna featuring Nicki Minaj is just awful though, while Joan of Arc feels awfully pedestrian, and there’s so little substance to Hold Tight, it seems wrong to call it a song.

HeartBreakCity is one of the few remaining tracks here that sounds like something Madonna should be releasing at this point in her career – it sounds invested, it sounds dramatic, and it sounds true to her past artistry.

The rest of it, sadly, just sounds confused.

I don't know, it makes me think of one of those people who never liked her or understood her success and were peeved by it. I met some people like this through the years. He seems gloating by using her age and how she sounds "as a musician in 2015", you know, all that "Ah Madonna" tone.

Anyway... it's always been like this, she read so much shit about her work in these 30 years.

The only sad thing is that -going on like this- her age can really become a vulnerability for her career (haters mockeries, radio ban, younger audience loss) and this is a fucking injustice because she is really giving a lot and Rebel Heart is contemporary and also mature (maybe just too long).

Yes, that's it exactly..... plus you get these "writers" who don't really know much or are interested in Madonna (or any other artist) and then probably only listen to the album once or twice and then review it...... it shouldn't work like that..... it takes a few listens to get used to an album, and what you might not like the first or second listen you might end up loving after some time (like I did with Veni Vidi Vici). And yes, then the age thing.....