Madonna - Look What You Made Me Do

vesalii

While I love Give Me All Your Luvin', and the video had its moment (great colors), it wasn;t lead single kind of video. Girl Gone Wild had a pretty great video, really an update to Erotica, which still has more shock value than GGW. Turn Up the Radio was just kind of sad. IT had more of a story than the last two. I feel that GIve Me All Your Luvin' was just so tailored for the SB that it should have been seperate from the album. Just dropped as a single. I'm Addicted should have been dropped as the lead single months in advance, so that GMAYL could shine as a single but not be the first taste of the MDNA era. Masterpiece should have been an actual single with a music video. There was so much they could have done, but the SB was likely an exhausting side project after recording an album and directing a film.

It's just my opinion but at that time whe she performed EYS/BTW I thought that she was abasing herself by singing a Lady Gaga's song, I would have prefer that she would have sing a new performace of "She's Not Me" on the tour, or that she would have released a fucking brilliant video such as "Look What You Made Me Do". Her response in that era was lukewarm, the most amazing thing was the Super Bolw entrance, where it was clear who was the Queen but, the following videos where cheap and forgettable.

And no, she wasn't belittling herself by singing a LADY GAGA song.  It was just her being cheeky about the obvious rip off of her song "Express Yourself" that Gaga was trying to deny. 

And this "Look What You Made Me Do" idea you have is extremely ridiculous.  :stare:

Neither Madonna nor Taylor invented dancers in high heels tbh.

Madonna's response was not lukewarm, nothing could've been "harsher" than simply stating the truth. She was saying "Yes, I agree TOO" that the song was a rip off. Anything else would've come across idiotic and would've diminished her. I just can't imagine her making a whole song and video full of self references and Gaga references and not come across totally pathetic and extra. You really don't have to do that if you're "unbothered", it's just sad.

Anyway this whole Gaga feud thing is in the past and IDC. If Gaga came for her again on her documentary IDC either, I just wish she would write a great song like she used to. 

What's truly lukewarm is this "feud" lmao.

Am I the only one who see's Girl Gone Wild in Taylor's music video? I mean, the choreo scene with the dancers in high heels... Just a slight reminiscence :thinker:

While, yes, neither created choreography of men in high heels, but boy has it seemingly caught on lately. In fact if you look up such a thing (men in high heels in music videos) Girl Gone Wild is the only official music video to show up right away. That's another one in basket! basket...

While, yes, neither created choreography of men in high heels, but boy has it seemingly caught on lately. In fact if you look up such a thing (men in high heels in music videos) Girl Gone Wild is the only official music video to show up right away. That's another one in basket! basket...

I remember reading an article from Los 40 Principales (a music tv/web in Spain) saying that Madonna had copied Kazaky in the video and I was like "Madonna FEATURED Kazaky in the video, you ignorant bitches"  :thinker:

The song is silly but Taylor really went out of her way with the video, something Madonna hasn't done in decades, or any other artist in the past 15 years, unfortunately.

What this video has is budget. I don't think it has memorable iconography tho. 

I've been watching Taylor's new video for her latest single "Look What You Made Me Do" and I couldn't handdle my imagination and think that, that is exactly the kind of video that Madonna should have been release back those days when Lady GaGa released "Born This Way", can you imagine that? 

Madonna is an emotionally mature person, she would never have indulged in such self-righteousness ("I'll never be an angel, I'll never be a saint" goes back to 1994) and childishness.

I always thought the mashup was too ironic and a mockery for the press that wanted to rival both, but no one understood...

M didn't really care, I think. She just wanted to make it obvious how those two songs sounded alike. She could have sued Gaga but she didn't, she's a fair player, but cheeky.

She also did acknowledge once that the verse melody on Rihanna's "Please Don't Stop The Music" sounded familiar (cf. Who's That Girl), but she didn't sue either or mention it ever after.

I guess the legal battles she went through with that crazy Belgian singer who claimed M had stolen 4 bars from a song into Frozen (and the following song ban on Belgian radio and stores) and the Bourdin estate vs. Hollywood video were expensive and humiliating pains in the ass that taught her not to go to court for such matters.

[EDIT] Oh and I forgot about the whole Vogue sample mess, this legal action is endless and in the midst of it, she lost a friend. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/producer-madonnas-vogue-claims-warner-music-is-withholding-royalties-992585

Pharrell's and Robin Thicke's sentencing for Blurred Lines (vs. Marvin Gaye's estate) rocked the music industry because the legal battle shed a public light on how music was made (and sometimes the cynicism behind hitmaking) and it was not something any big act would like to go through. Pharrell's carreer was solid enough to overcome this ordeal, but it ended Robin Thicke's rise and even had an awful impact on his personal life.

I couldn't find a number, but the diamond bath alone was said to be worth 12 million. It broke a bunch of records too but I doubt anyone will really remember. But who knows. Millennial are barely aware of Madonna nowadays, I doubt the next generation will remember Taylor.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/music-videos/taylor-swifts-diamond-bath-cost-more-than-12-million/news-story/4704a920da7f6d8db1ddb99429d3baec

This makes no sense at all !

I think suing for similarities is nasty. Few people have ever invented anything from scratch... She shouldnt have sued for BTW and im glad she didnt. It sounds familiar and Gaga is obviously inspired by M, but what rubbed everyone the wrong way was the denial of it for ths song... And thats why M was salty. Gotta admit tho that Gaga was put in a difficult situation if the song truly came it similar by accident (which is possible) so part of me understands why she may have dealt with everyones accusations poorly...

I think suing for similarities is nasty. Few people have ever invented anything from scratch... She shouldnt have sued for BTW and im glad she didnt. It sounds familiar and Gaga is obviously inspired by M, but what rubbed everyone the wrong way was the denial of it for ths song... And thats why M was salty. Gotta admit tho that Gaga was put in a difficult situation if the song truly came it similar by accident (which is possible) so part of me understands why she may have dealt with everyones accusations poorly...

I don't buy that for one second. She's a musician, there were plenty of people involved in making her Born This Way album and they all would've heard the title track at one point or another. You'd have to be tone deaf not to spot the similarities, especially given comparisons between her and Madonna from the very beginning of Gaga's career, the fact that Express Yourself isn't some obscure track only a handful of people would've heard of and a theme of self-empowerment shared by both songs. Now, personally, I don't really care about the similarities (it's a great track) but Gaga was left looking like an idiot when she kept denying the obvious (even though she initially seemed to embrace the similarities in her interview with Jay Leno right after the Grammys).

I don't buy that for one second. She's a musician, there were plenty of people involved in making her Born This Way album and they all would've heard the title track at one point or another. You'd have to be tone deaf not to spot the similarities, especially given comparisons between her and Madonna from the very beginning Gaga's career, the fact that Express Yourself isn't some obscure track only a handful of people would've heard of and a theme of self-empowerment shared by both songs. Now, personally, I don't really care about the similarities (it's a great track) but Gaga was left looking like an idiot when she kept denying the obvious (even though she initially seemed to embrace the similarities in her interview with Jay Leno right after the Grammys).

Copying a song subconsciously that you've heard before and thinking it's original has happened to highly regarded musicians. I'm not sure the sycophants around her would've told her or even noticed the similarities, since they were so far up her ass lol. I don't think Gaga is Mozart. She's clearly very inspired (some may say obsessed) with M, so she's definitely heard her music enough times to have them in her subconscious when coming up with melodies. The "I'm keeping my baby" melody from Papa Don't Preach making an appearance in Perfect Illusion may support my theory.

But I'm just speculating. If she took the song structure and wrote another melody on top and denied it to piss her off, then ok it worked. I'm not mad at Gaga if she wanted to piss Madonna off tbh. At least it shook up Madonna a bit which she needed, and gave us some iconic drama.  :silly: and Born This Way is original enough to be enjoyed on its own. Maybe the structure isn't original but the production and lyrics are good.

Madonna is an emotionally mature person, she would never have indulged in such self-righteousness ("I'll never be an angel, I'll never be a saint" goes back to 1994) and childishness.

She's not so mature lately, remember?:
-Bitch I'm Madonna video (ultra teenager and where artists record cameos away from different cities, she tried to do something like Taylor's Bad Blood)
-The Drake performance
-The Bitch I'm Madonna performance at Jimmy
-Her last runway in Met

Need to re title this thread "Lady Gaga- Born This Way".    :thinker::angel::silly:

Personally, I hear the slight resemblance, but the truth is, there are a plethora of songs in music history that sound similar to other songs, where many have not taken claim or sued because of it.  There's just a handful of ways you can play notes before it starts to sound similar to what we've heard before.  I don't think "Born This Way" would have gotten half the criticisms by some for sounding similar if it wasn't for the fact, some are so set out to pit Madonna and Gaga against each other.  Personally, I feel Lady Gaga is a great talent, but she does play the victim card too much. She definitely knows how to stir up talk around her, especially by using Madonna's name or trying to emulate her in some ways. I don't mind her being inspired by Madonna and she has admitted early on Madonna was someone that inspired her, but it's like she's doing everything to take that back. I feel that she was hoping her and Madonna could be besties, and it just didn't work out that way. Thus, she tries to subtly make comments  about her or references Madonna's work to continue to keep people talking about her.  Though, I am not sure I believe "Born This Way" was anyway meant to copy or steal from Madonna. 

-Bitch I'm Madonna video (ultra teenager and where artists record cameos away from different cities, she tried to do something like Taylor's Bad Blood)
-The Drake performance
-Her last runway in Met

To me this is SILLY!  Madonna has always recorded and performed songs and went out in public in a silly manner that wasn't always "mature".  I never thought of Madonna as someone who just recorded "mature" songs or always came out in public, acting refine and reserved.. She's always mixed up her appearances and catalog with a lot of wild, fun, and cheeky songs.  "Bitch, I'm Madonna" is that sort of song.  Not sure why you and some must think she is acting like a "teenager" because she records a few songs that aren't serious or doesn't show up at a function all refined and serious.  That's not the Madonna I fell in love with. I fell in love with the woman who knew how to have fun. The woman who asked Kurt Loder at her TRUTH OR DARE premiere if he wanted "to fuck us".  This is the same woman I enjoy who sang "The Funny Song" on the Drowned World Tour.  This is the woman who sang and performed on the first MTV AWARDS, rolling all over the floor in a wedding dress.  I'm not sure who you think Madonna is; but "serious" is just one side of her... career and persona.   Also, Music is supposed to be fun and wild.  It can be serious and somber, but that would be so boring if she always sang serious type songs.  If you want "serious" and "Mature" then become a fan of Barbara Streisand.  :laughing::wide-eyes::bananawave:

-The Drake performance
-Her last runway in Met

Having fun, being colorful and energetic is not "immature", or "acting like a teenager". She made it this way for people like you to show their ageism and it worked perfectly.

Bitch I'm Madonna is - vaguely - about how she influenced other artists, and that's why they wanted to put other artists cameos in the video. It was a fun idea.

"Her last runway in Met". how is wearing a cammo dress immature.  :thinker: (But I know you mean her showing her ass and tiddies last year and this is somehow "immature", more ageism great) :poo:

Gaga can play the victim and say Madonna was rude to her and unsupportive but where was Gaga's "Spread Love" message when staff, collaborators, choreographers who she was close to were rudely bashing Madonna left and right before Madonna ever responded?

Funny she claims she was never inspired by Madonna for Gaga's image but later after being fired admitted she followed her image closely for Gaga's visual presentation during the Born This Way era.

There's several tweets from her close friends, DJ White Shadow referring to M as a hag needing her old lady meds, Terry Richarson writing "FUCK" on MDNA posters, plenty of people bashed her and Gaga never once spoke out about it. But Madonna is the villain here.  :thinker:

The positive... Madonna takes the high road.  Not that she is perfect and hasn't said some shit in the past about celebrities/other artists herself, but she believes in karma and has refrained from these sort of childish games some play, pitting one against another.