MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, deathproof said:

As ridiculous as it sounds it's true, my friend is one of the people who had been contacted. Her team is ridiculously small nowadays and lots was destroyed after her first leaving Warner. Don't worry about the quality the tracks have already been used for streaming and the tour. Aforementioned friend was also contacted for the frozen backdrop video on the tour. 

It's a miracle she has fans that she does because her legacy would have just died when she does. COLLECT everything. The main problem is also how little she knows/knew about the destroyed things.

I don't believe that shhhhit. Madonna was the one who said "ownership is everything" regarding selling her rights to her music. She has the vault where she keeps her tapes and costumes. No way she would destroy that.

17 hours ago, Donna said:

Well, the deal said it was a "multi-year" deal.  That can mean anything, but it sure didn't just mean three years since they did specify the Interscope albums were going to swallowed up by Warner starting in 2025.  It made sense when they announce the deal in 2021 since MX Tour streaming/digital was distributed by Warner.  They knew fans would wonder why Warner was distributing that, and simply laid out deal then. I don't think meant for everything to happen all at once.  Still, we've gotten a number of releases since, including MX Tour, FEL, Erotica picture disc reissue, Everybody 40th re-issues, American Life Mix Show, Frozen Remixes, Hung Up On Tokischa, Material Gworrrl, and many digital/streaming releases of older songs.  I believe the True Blue Silver Vinyl is part of this deal too.  I'm sure the LAP inclusion to the new Wolverine trailer is part of this deal too.  I know @Prayerand @GregVsMattis a bit more schooled on this to verify what I've listed if not more that I've missed regarding the 2021 Warner deal.   

Most fans focus on the reissues cause it's the shiny promising thing on THAT press release that we all want but this deal goes deeper (and more boring really) than that.

Her coming back to Warner in 2021 was actually her not taking her classic monster albums anywhere else.

It was coming back... but it was also not leaving, really.

The original Warner copyright time for each album expires 35 years after they were released. That means in 2021 she could have already claimed back "Madonna", "Like A Virgin" and "True Blue" ("Like A Prayer" in 2024, "Erotica" in 2027, etc.), to own them 100% herself and exploit them on her own or maybe take them anywhere else to another record company or publisher. I'm sure Sony Legacy, who already owns all Michael Jackson back catalogue and most of Prince second phase internationally and most the biggest ones in the US, would have been very happy to welcome her with a good deal ($$$).

So she negotiated a deal with Warner (for a good sum I'm sure) to actually stay with them with those albums (and the rest) and start exploiting properly her back catalogue, which has been done with "FEL", the digital singles, the RSD exclusives or the big check syncs like "Like A Prayer" on "Deadpool 3". The multi-year deal means that's the plan, to keep doing it.

The reissues, we all want them badly, but they were always one of the things they could do within the deal, not the only one or the reason why they signed.

I'm sure they will start to happen at some point, though.

4 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Most fans focus on the reissues cause it's the shiny promising thing on THAT press release that we all want but this deal goes deeper (and more boring really) than that.

Her coming back to Warner in 2021 was actually her not taking her classic monster albums anywhere else.

The original Warner copyright time for each album expires 35 years after they were released. That means in 2021 she could have already claimed back "Madonna", "Like A Virgin" and "True Blue" ("Like A Prayer" in 2024, "Erotica" in 2027, etc.), to own them 100% herself and exploit them on her own or maybe take them anywhere else to another record company or publisher. I'm sure Sony Legacy, who already owns all Michael Jackson back catalogue and most of Prince second phase internationally and most the biggest ones in the US, would have been very happy to welcome her with a good deal ($$$).

So she negotiated a deal with Warner (for a good sum I'm sure) to actually stay with them with those albums (and the rest) and start exploiting properly her back catalogue, which has been done with "FEL", the digital singles, the RSD exclusives or the big check syncs like "Like A Prayer" on "Deadpool 3". The multi-year deal means that's the plan, to keep doing it.

The reissues, we all want them badly, but they were always one of the things the could do within the deal, not the only one or the reason they signed.

Perfectly said. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Honey Little said:

Maybe Madonna destroyed almost all her old tapes and demos? She hates the past I guess. Who is this person that worked at Warner that said they destroyed all her old music?

No she did not destroy her old tapes and demos - she dug out some of her original tapes and notebooks on Instagram when she was writing her movie script and she has an archive warehouse. 

In the meantime she wants to focus on the movie which we all know will be a complete waste of time as she is sadly box office poison - why can’t she release a memoir instead ? Oh well if we don’t get anything in the next 6 months I think we can assume the reissues aren’t coming as there really is no excuse now imo now that the tour is finished and she is hopefully resting 😜🥰

6 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

In the meantime she wants to focus on the movie which we all know will be a complete waste of time as she is sadly box office poison - why can’t she release a memoir instead ? Oh well if we don’t get anything in the next 6 months I think we can assume the reissues aren’t coming as there really is no excuse now imo now that the tour is finished and she is hopefully resting 😜🥰

She's always been a visual artist so it only makes sense that her memoir has a strong visual component to it, movie, series... or her last tour, for that matter.

3 hours ago, Honey Little said:

I have a feeling the 3 are: 

Who’s That Girl

Madame X 

You Can Dance 

It's rumored in that reddit thread the 3 are :

LAV

Bedtime Stories

RoL

... Which I find completely strange, I love Bedtime Stories more than Erotica even, but BS ia her least landmark-y album, really. They can might as well reissue Madame X and Hard Candy simultaneously. 

8 hours ago, Donna said:

If it's one album you don't like due to it's content I can understand not owning it.  At the same time, it includes one of her most iconic songs, so I can't imagine not owning it. Then again, I love the album and so many of the songs on it. :luv:

Really? I don’t think so at all. Besides LAP and EY, everything else can stay hidden or in the 80s 🤷‍♂️ like Love Song? Really?! The concept, the imagery etc that’s what I loved about this era. 

4 hours ago, Cyberraga said:

I don't believe that shhhhit. Madonna was the one who said "ownership is everything" regarding selling her rights to her music. She has the vault where she keeps her tapes and costumes. No way she would destroy that.

Not only that, but the whole “my friend was contacted for the frozen backdrop video.” Her team clearly already had those vids on hand. That footage was used in 2009 for S&S, and I doubt during those 14 yrs it would go missing.

Plus Warner does a good job at archiving everything, with the exception of album packaging artwork…

18 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Not only that, but the whole “my friend was contacted for the frozen backdrop video.” Her team clearly already had those vids on hand. That footage was used in 2009 for S&S, and I doubt during those 14 yrs it would go missing.

Plus Warner does a good job at archiving everything, with the exception of album packaging artwork…

Chris Cunnigham have the video here:

https://www.discogs.com/release/11262391-Chris-Cunningham-The-Work-Of-Director-Chris-Cunningham

I'm sure there are several places that have a copy of it.

Given how she was dragged by the media and faced a lot of negative representation to the general public (and even some of his fans, to be honest), It wouldn't be surprising that she held back on some of her riskier projects. Now that she has proven how successful the tour was, she might be able to move forward with less resistance from Warner directors.

1 hour ago, Robertthenurse said:

Really? I don’t think so at all. Besides LAP and EY, everything else can stay hidden or in the 80s 🤷‍♂️ like Love Song? Really?! The concept, the imagery etc that’s what I loved about this era. 

For me, the album really shown her stretching as an artist.  She was getting more profound with her lyrics.  They were more personal and deeper.  Certainly, I don't go to LAP album for the fun songs. Those are definitely left to some of her others songs such as True Blue album or her debut album along with a few other albums throughout her career.  Love Song to me it's just artsy song Prince and Madonna did together.  It definitely isn't a hugely favorite of mine on the album, but it still enjoyable.  I agree the concept and imagery was superb from this era. I felt she dove deeper with this album.

4 hours ago, Prayer said:

The reissues, we all want them badly, but they were always one of the things the could do within the deal, not the only one or the reason why they signed.

Thank you. This totally is what I feel the deal represents as well.  It's deeper than the re-issues.  As mentioned, it allows Warner to cultivate her whole catalog.  So a lot of this deal, will have many behind the scene things happening that fans won't see right away.  Meanwhile, we will be seeing more and more curated and re-issues as time goes on, whether it's anniversary related or not.  Thank you for explaining this so elegantly and clearly. My guess this Warner deal will probably be intact until she dies or unless a better deal comes along that will exploit her catalog even better.

14 hours ago, Robertthenurse said:

I have all the albums on vinyl except LAP. My least fav album tbh

With you on this! These silver vinyls are the most insulting thing I've seen from an artist in a minute. I want all her albums on colored vinyl one day, but I imagined UNIQUE color choices matching the aesthetic of each record. If I never get that, well that's disappointing, but I don't see this "silver collection" as worthwhile at all.

8 hours ago, GregVsMatt said:

No she did not destroy her old tapes and demos - she dug out some of her original tapes and notebooks on Instagram when she was writing her movie script and she has an archive warehouse. 

Also Steve Bray has all her demos archived , he said in an interview whenever she needs stuff come knock on my door basically..

I guess the same can be said for Pat Leonard... com'on it really sounds like fan fiction her team asking fans for material....