Madonna's Spotify Progress

Fabiolous

1 hour ago, wtg1987 said:

Is that good then ? What’s the most streamed song of all time ? 

Blinding Lights is the most streamed song of all time with over 3 billion streams. Popular is doing fantastic numbers considering how its not even been very long since it dropped.

12 hours ago, Fidel Castro said:

Blinding Lights is the most streamed song of all time with over 3 billion streams. Popular is doing fantastic numbers considering how its not even been very long since it dropped.

And the fact that Madonna is on it and having these streams is fucking amazing.

"Popular" is a bona fide success and we should be happy that she's part of it. We've been asking for this since... well, 2012?

150M streams only on Spotify and in barely more than 2 months is amazing and it should end up at least with 250-300M if it keeps at this rate.

I don't LOVE the song but obviously I'm incredibly happy for her and it's just what she needed: to boost her own numbers, her confidence and to pave the way for any future solo releases.

Lots of new big peaks today:

- "Popular": 152M

- "La Isla Bonita": 304M

- "Like A Prayer" ("Celebration" Version): 286M

- "Like A Prayer" ("Like A Prayer" Album Version): 92M

- "Frozen" (Sickick Remix): 140M

- "Papa Don't Preach": 111M

- "Take A Bow": 50M

- "Sorry": 53M

- "4 Minutes" (Album Version): 44M

New big peaks today:

- "Popular": 157M

- "Material Girl" ("Celebration" Version): 362M

- "Material Girl" ("Like A Virgin" Album Version): 49M

- "Me Against The Music" (Britney Spears Feat. Madonna): 57M

For God's sake, when they'll merge "Material Girl" and "Like A Prayer"?... "MG" would be 411M already and "LAP" 378M.

1 minute ago, Prayer said:

New big peaks today:

For God's sake, when they'll merge "Material Girl" and "Like A Prayer"?... "MG" would be 411M already and "LAP" 378M.

I wish they would.  I'm still baffled how LAP still isn't her top song.  I understand Material Girl being a big streamer, but for some reason I always felt that LAP was that one song that is far more universally loved.

Just now, adirondak said:

It's weird how generational tastes change. In the early 2000s, when her catalog hits were played on radio all the time, I do not think Material Girl was that big nor resonant with the youth of that day. It seemed to be more classics from her first album and True Blue that were big on radio. 

I think Tik Tok probably contributed to Material Girl's success on streaming platforms, specifically Spotify.  That song had become used a lot last year in many videos.  I'm sure there are other factors beyond that, but I'm sure that played a big role in it becoming her biggest streamed hit on Spotify. 

10 minutes ago, Prayer said:

New big peaks today:

- "Me Against The Music" (Britney Spears Feat. Madonna): 57M

Great to see such great streaming numbers for M! :luv:

7 minutes ago, adirondak said:

It's weird how generational tastes change. In the early 2000s, when her catalog hits were played on radio all the time, I do not think Material Girl was that big nor resonant with the youth of that day. It seemed to be more classics from her first album and True Blue that were big on radio. 

I guess like every big huge monster hit, it needed to rest before coming back strong and forever. But I agree, I became a fan in 1998 and "Material Girl" was the one that you knew it had been a huge song for her but also the one you didn't care that much about, it was toooooo 80s.

Speaking of the 2000s, I also find surprising that the hits of her 1998-2000 imperial phase are not bigger on Spotify: "Frozen" is 71M (plus 33M for the "Celebration" version), "Ray Of Light" 45M, "Music" 70M... I would expect, at least those three, to be at least at "Vogue" levels (140M).

2 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I guess like every big huge monster hit, it needed to rest before coming back strong and forever. But I agree, I became a fan in 1998 and "Material Girl" was the one that you knew it had been a huge song for her but also the one you didn't care that much about, it was toooooo 80s.

Speaking of the 2000s, I also find surprising that the hits of her 1998-2000 imperial phase are not bigger on Spotify: "Frozen" is 71M (plus 33M for the "Celebration" version), "Ray Of Light" 45M, "Music" 70M... I would expect, at least those three, to be at least at "Vogue" levels (140M).

I kinda get why ROL and Frozen aren't at "Vogue levels".  As great as ROL album was for her career, the singles didn't have the same spark of success that songs like Vogue and Like A Prayer and some of her previous 80's singles did.  In fact, I remember being disappointed how ROL didn't get the radio airplay it deserved.  I rarely heard it on top 40 radio.  It obviously was much more successful at bigger radio stations in bigger cities.  But it didn't have the same impact like Vogue did when first released. Vogue was played everywhere, almost every hour on the hour.  Everyone knew it.  Even those people who hated Madonna at the time knew the song and knew the dance associated with it.  The song just became a pop culture phenomenon much like Material Girl and Like A Prayer were when released.  Those songs were just played over and over and over on radio.  I do recall Frozen getting decent airplay, but even that song couldn't compare to the radio success of her earlier hits.  

But I think over time, songs like ROL and Frozen and even La Isla Bonita have grown into these huge staple iconic hits by her.  It also makes me think of "Holidays" success. I think it's success was mainly radio success but it just became more and more popular as  Madonna was getting more popular at the time.  It just didn't come out like a bang and become this huge gigantic hit, even though it's considered one of her most iconic songs.  :) 

2 minutes ago, tscott said:

I kinda get why ROL and Frozen aren't at "Vogue levels".  As great as ROL album was for her career, the singles didn't have the same spark of success that songs like Vogue and Like A Prayer and some of her previous 80's singles did.  In fact, I remember being disappointed how ROL didn't get the radio airplay it deserved.  I rarely heard it on top 40 radio.  It obviously was much more successful at bigger radio stations in bigger cities.  But it didn't have the same impact like Vogue did when first released. Vogue was played everywhere, almost every hour on the hour.  Everyone knew it.  Even those people who hated Madonna at the time knew the song and knew the dance associated with it.  The song just became a pop culture phenomenon much like Material Girl and Like A Prayer were when released.  Those songs were just played over and over and over on radio.  I do recall Frozen getting decent airplay, but even that song couldn't compare to the radio success of her earlier hits.  

But I think over time, songs like ROL and Frozen and even La Isla Bonita have grown into these huge staple iconic hits by her.  It also makes me think of "Holidays" success. I think it's success was mainly radio success but it just became more and more popular as  Madonna was getting more popular at the time.  It just didn't come out like a bang and become this huge gigantic hit, even though it's considered one of her most iconic songs.  :) 

I see!

I don't know, "Frozen", "Ray Of Light" and "Music" (even "American Pie") were MASSIVE in Europe, the first singles definitely at "Hung Up" levels and even more than "4 Minutes" (both way above them on Spotify) but I guess you're right.

Just now, Prayer said:

I see!

I don't know, "Frozen", "Ray Of Light" and "Music" (even "American Pie") were MASSIVE in Europe, the first singles definitely at "Hung Up" levels and even more than "4 Minutes" (both way above them on Spotify) but I guess you're right.

I agree internationally, she was doing far better than in the states.  Though, Music did get a healthy dose of radio airplay in the U.S.  It's the last song of her that gotten some much airplay.  Die Another Day did fairly well, but after that her songs really didn't do well on radio in the U.S.  4 Minutes there was a resurgence of radio airplay, but I'm sure a lot of that was due to the fact it had Justin Timberlake and Timbaland which were radio darlings at the time. And then we all know the deal with GMAYL.  That top 10 was purely bought.  Radio wouldn't have touched it, if it wasn't for the Super Bowl connection.  Everyone just played nice, for a couple of weeks and pretended it was something radio was willing to play.  NOT!  LOL!

It's interesting because I felt Beautiful Stranger got more love from radio than ROL did.  But the fact it didn't' get a single release, kept it from going top 10.  It's success was purely radio play.

1 minute ago, tscott said:

I agree internationally, she was doing far better than in the states.  Though, Music did get a healthy dose of radio airplay in the U.S.  It's the last song of her that gotten some much airplay.  Die Another Day did fairly well, but after that her songs really didn't do well on radio in the U.S.  4 Minutes there was a resurgence of radio airplay, but I'm sure a lot of that was due to the fact it had Justin Timberlake and Timbaland which were radio darlings at the time. And then we all know the deal with GMAYL.  That top 10 was purely bought.  Radio wouldn't have touched it, if it wasn't for the Super Bowl connection.  Everyone just played nice, for a couple of weeks and pretended it was something radio was willing to play.  NOT!  LOL!

It's interesting because I felt Beautiful Stranger got more love from radio than ROL did.  But the fact it didn't' get a single release, kept it from going top 10.  It's success was purely radio play.

"Beautiful Stranger", I forgot that one too! Another EU smash, one of the songs of Summer 1999 in Europe.

Maybe she's had too many hits to make them all proper justice. :cute:

10 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I see!

1 minute ago, Prayer said:

"Beautiful Stranger", I forgot that one too! Another EU smash, one of the songs of Summer 1999 in Europe.

Maybe she's had too many hits to make them all proper justice. :cute:

Beautiful Stranger was fun, light, classic Madonna. Perfect for the summer that was coming up.

Ray of Light was just blah and basically a cover. I think it debuted here in the US at #5 and then sank like a rock on the Billboard Hot 100.

Frozen was massive, stuck behind the awful, All My Life, song.

6 minutes ago, BuggedOut said:

Beautiful Stranger was fun, light, classic Madonna. Perfect for the summer that was coming up.

Ray of Light was just blah and basically a cover. I think it debuted here in the US at #5 and then sank like a rock on the Billboard Hot 100.

Frozen was massive, stuck behind the awful, All My Life, song.

Mmm I see it more as an evolution than a cover, honestly. Orbit and her took the original and went bonkers and that paired with a classic video made a killer combo. It's a similar process to taking a demo and evolving from there, she even added a whole new verse, right?

If the song is played on the new tour (and it will cause how can she not play it??) people will go crazy about it. It always happens with that one, even when she basically recycled the 2006 performance again for the 2008-2009 tour.