Madonna's Spotify Progress

Fabiolous

3 hours ago, Renato Iodice said:

It didn't sell a lot of physical copies, but when it comes to radio airplay, yes, Jump was pretty successful; just like Hung Up and Sorry, italian local radios regularly play it... I can't talk about other european countries, but if you have a look at Spotify numbers, it's among her 40 most streamed songs (top 30 if you ignore the double versions and the various remixes).

On the other hand, we can't say the same about the mediocre numbers of Hollywood and WIFLFAG (in particular the remix that it's among her least streamed singles).

Yep, but one thing is their respective commercial success at the time at their current streaming numbers. Two different things. :-)

True "Jump" has stood the test of time on Spotify, the others... not that much. That said, the "WIFLFAG" remix wasn't available on streaming until 2021, so of course its numbers will never be as high as the others (no excuse for "Hollywood" in that sense!).

4 hours ago, Renato Iodice said:

It didn't sell a lot of physical copies, but when it comes to radio airplay, yes, Jump was pretty successful; just like Hung Up and Sorry, italian local radios regularly play it... I can't talk about other european countries, but if you have a look at Spotify numbers, it's among her 40 most streamed songs (top 30 if you ignore the double versions and the various remixes).

57 minutes ago, Prayer said:

True "Jump" has stood the test of time on Spotify, the others... not that much. That said, the "WIFLFAG" remix wasn't available on streaming until 2021, so of course its numbers will never be as high as the others (no excuse for "Hollywood" in that sense!).

I wonder if to some extent Jump’s numbers are assisted by its placement in The Devil Wears Prada. It’s still a very beloved movie.

5 hours ago, Prayer said:

Yep, but one thing is their respective commercial success at the time at their current streaming numbers. Two different things. :-)

WIFLFAG remix gets 1500/2000 streams per day: for a single promoted with a video, it's performing poorly. And on YouTube, the video isn't doing great numbers either.

In few words, it didn't stand the test of time.

https://kworb.net/youtube/artist/madonna.html

2 hours ago, Renato Iodice said:

WIFLFAG remix gets 1500/2000 streams per day: for a single promoted with a video, it's performing poorly. And on YouTube, the video isn't doing great numbers either.

In few words, it didn't stand the test of time.

https://kworb.net/youtube/artist/madonna.html

That's a way to put it, but did it even have a chance in the first place?

Like I said, it wasn't even available on streaming before 2021, plus it was a weird single release anyway: the remix was used for the video (banned anyway in many places and released on DVD) but it didn't even touch radio, where the original album version was promoted (shortened for radio), and also later on "GHV2".

Of course general public and casual fans don't remember the remix, the video wasn't even played that much back then and then it was completely forgotten by her since 2001 until it reached streaming in 2021 and then the "Finally Enough Love" compilation in 2022.

And despite all this, it's one of the only 14 remixes out of the 50 included on "Finally Enough Love" to be above 1M streams on Spotify. The 12'' remix on the digital single is also above 1M.

The video is still higher than "Erotica", "Hollywood", "Bad Girl", "Human Nature" and many others of hers on YouTube. Her YouTube numbers in general, apart from "La Isla", "Hung Up" and a few more obvious hits, are not that great to begin with.

20 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Like I said, it wasn't even available on streaming before 2021, plus it was a weird single release anyway: the remix was used for the video (banned anyway in many places and released on DVD) but it didn't even touch radio, where the original album version was promoted, and also later on "GHV2".

Of course general public and casual fans don't remember the remix, the video wasn't even played that much back then and then it was completely forgotten by her since 2001 until it reached streaming in 2021 and then the "Finally Enough Love" compilation in 2022.

And despite all this, it's one of the only 14 remixes out of the 50 included on "Finally Enough Love" to be above 1M streams on Spotify. The 12'' remix on the digital single is also above 1M.

The video is still higher than "Erotica", "Hollywood", "Bad Girl", "Human Nature" and many others of hers on YouTube. Her YouTube numbers in general, apart from "La Isla", "Hung Up" and a few more obvious hits, are not that great to begin with.

Yes regarding WIFLFAG, it isn't even a song I'd think would be sought out much since it's been added to streaming. People don't remember it, other than the fans.  I don't think it's necessarily doing "poorly" either. It's just not a song I'd expect to be streaming big numbers compared to many of her other huge songs.

6 hours ago, Prayer said:

Like I said, it wasn't even available on streaming before 2021, plus it was a weird single release anyway: the remix was used for the video (banned anyway in many places and released on DVD) but it didn't even touch radio, where the original album version was promoted (shortened for radio), and also later on "GHV2".

In Italy the video was regularly aired, and it didn't generate any controversy: in fact, it literally came and went.

And let's face it: the remix isn't doing great numbers because it's pretty generic and forgettable... as far as Erotica, Hollywood, Bad Girl and Human Nature are concerned, I'm not surprised either: great videos, but the singles didn't perform greatly on the charts as well as on the radio stations.

Even though I like/love them, I've always felt that - due to the relative flops of Erotica and American Life - they didn't have any chance to become "real" classics. Even in the long term.

4 hours ago, Renato Iodice said:

In Italy the video was regularly aired, and it didn't generate any controversy: in fact, it literally came and went.

And let's face it: the remix isn't doing great numbers because it's pretty generic and forgettable... as far as Erotica, Hollywood, Bad Girl and Human Nature are concerned, I'm not surprised either: great videos, but the singles didn't perform greatly on the charts as well as on the radio stations.

Even though I like/love them, I've always felt that - due to the relative flops of Erotica and American Life - they didn't have any chance to become "real" classics. Even in the long term.

Italy, while important, is not the whole world, so again, you're talking from your own perspective and memories. Which is OK, of course.

But we can't measure the impact or not of a pre-streaming song by its current streaming and YouTube numbers. That's cheating a little bit. We should see all those songs you mention numbers if Spotify and YouTube had been around when they were released. And of course that's impossible to do.

In the end she's an old world artist navigating the new streaming world, catching up.

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

Italy, while important, is not the whole world, so again, you're talking from your own perspective and memories. Which is OK, of course.

But we can't measure the impact or not of a pre-streaming song by its current streaming and YouTube numbers. That's cheating a little bit. We should see all those songs you mention numbers if Spotify and YouTube had been around when they were released. And of course that's impossible to do.

In the end she's an old world artist navigating the new streaming world, catching up.

You're partially right. But if we have a look at her most streamed albums and tracks, are we really surprised to see LAV, TB and COADF on top? And the various La Isla Bonita, Like a Virgin, Hung Up, Vogue, Frozen, Music on her top 20? I don't think so; and I also guess that top 20 won't change anytime soon.

Yes, I was expecting higher numbers for Ray of Light and Music, I'm pleasantly surprised to see Sorry, Jump, Give It 2 Me and American Pie performing better than expected, but overall, both on Spotify and YouTube, the streaming numbers are favoring her most successful/popular hits.

Also, the fact that some videos aren't getting more streaming because they were realeased before YouTube isn't holding up, sorry: apart from her '80s works, Frozen, Die Another Day, Take a Bow, Don't Tell Me, etc etc are all videos from the pre-YouTube era, and they are performing better than the various Hollywood, WIFLFAG and Human Nature - which despite its amazing video, was never a massive hit.

Peace and love.

- All Time Top 50 updated (Official, not merged):

01. Popular (The Weeknd, Playboi Carti & Madonna): 630M -> this bitch won't ever die, right? Good though

02. Material Girl ("Celebration"/Digital Single Version): 415M

02. Hung Up: 398M -> reaching 400M in no time

04. La Isla Bonita: 352M

05. Like A Prayer ("Celebration" Version): 322M

06. 4 Minutes ("Celebration" Version): 293M

07. Like A Virgin ("Like A Virgin" Album Version): 266M

08. Vogue ("Celebration"/"Immaculate" Version): 218M

09. Frozen (Sickick Remix): 161M

10. Crazy For You: 125M

11. Papa Don't Preach: 124M

12. Into The Groove: 118M

13. Holiday ("Madonna" Digital Album Edit Version): 102M