First Timer

maddy1111

Stupid question from stupid user, so please take it easy on me :)

To be completely honest, I am seeing Madonna for the very first time in December, but not only that, it is the very first time attending any tour/big popstar concert for me. 

So I just wanted to ask for your kind advice how to prepare, how soon to be there before the show starts, what esle to be prepared for, what else to expect... 

I am attending Amsterdam show on December 1st, I am pretty familiar with the city, area where Madonna show is happening etc. But absolutely not sure how long it will take to get inside and other rather organizational things. 

Since the show starts at 8pm, should I start queueing at 6pm at the latest? I assume it will take some time to fit all visitors into the area. 

What are your other advices for me? What else to be prepared for? 

Thank you, appreciate every answer. 

7 minutes ago, thiagosb said:

Expect delays. Madonna is always late. 🙃

Wear comfortable shoes. 

Remember to drink water. 

Take some pictures and/or videos but try to forget your mobile phone and enjoy the moment most of the time. 😊

Dance! 😉

Surprisingly enough, but the bold part is going to be the easiest for me. :) 

It depends really on what kind of ticket you have. In the olden days I would cue up at around 7 or 8 am to be sure to get into the golden circle. For Amsterdam (I am attending the same concert as you) there are only the different pits, so unless you have a GP standing ticket you are fairly sure of a good spot as the pits are not that big. If you have GP standing I would recommend being there several hours before the doors open. If you are seated (like me this time) there is really no need to come early, maybe an hour before the show starts "officially" just to be sure. It's best that the big crowds are already inside so you don't have to wait that long in line. Once inside there are ushers that can show you your exact seat. I was there this weekend for New Order and was once again amazed by how small the place actually is compared to stadiums.

If by chance you find yourself waiting outside before the venue opens and you're all sittting down, my best advice to you is stay seated!!!! there is always a panic or uproar from time to time when people think something is happening and they all want to jump up and run to the front but nothing will happen before the official opening time so you can enjoy the company of fellow fans in line.

During the concert I agree with the keep your phone in your pocket rule, you don't need pictures, you need to immerse yourself in the experience. Man I'm jealous that it's your first time, the level of anticipation is out of this world and then once the show starts but M isn't on stage yet it's just insane. Just let it all wash over you en enjoy! I'll be the one screaming "do the bus stop" during Holiday

21 minutes ago, Pretender1978 said:

It depends really on what kind of ticket you have. In the olden days I would cue up at around 7 or 8 am to be sure to get into the golden circle. For Amsterdam (I am attending the same concert as you) there are only the different pits, so unless you have a GP standing ticket you are fairly sure of a good spot as the pits are not that big. If you have GP standing I would recommend being there several hours before the doors open. If you are seated (like me this time) there is really no need to come early, maybe an hour before the show starts "officially" just to be sure. It's best that the big crowds are already inside so you don't have to wait that long in line. Once inside there are ushers that can show you your exact seat. I was there this weekend for New Order and was once again amazed by how small the place actually is compared to stadiums.

If by chance you find yourself waiting outside before the venue opens and you're all sittting down, my best advice to you is stay seated!!!! there is always a panic or uproar from time to time when people think something is happening and they all want to jump up and run to the front but nothing will happen before the official opening time so you can enjoy the company of fellow fans in line.

During the concert I agree with the keep your phone in your pocket rule, you don't need pictures, you need to immerse yourself in the experience. Man I'm jealous that it's your first time, the level of anticipation is out of this world and then once the show starts but M isn't on stage yet it's just insane. Just let it all wash over you en enjoy! I'll be the one screaming "do the bus stop" during Holiday

Thank you for taking time and sharing the info with me in such detailed post. I truly appreciate it! You really addressed all my concerns, so now I am much more calm re my trip. :)

Regarding my seat, I am actually seated  (box 109,line 1,seat 312 - and 311 since I am attending the show with my friend - any chance you are sitting nearby? ;)). My plan is to be in front of venue approximately 2hrs before the show (6pm) to also enjoy some atmosphere outside, seeing other fans etc. I am staying at Jaz in the City Hotel, so really, really close by:) According to your post, this should be fine to get inside on time. And if there are ushers inside, it should be super easy to find our seats, very good. :)

I am not really addicted to my phone, so only planning to take maybe one picture and then, as you said,  immerse myself in the experience and enjoy it as much as possible. I can watch the tour on Bluray or streaming once it is released, but I can personally experience it only once, so I really don't plan to be focused on my phone at all. 

PS: I will be the one voguing all the time, lol

IMG_20230926_180741.jpg

39 minutes ago, maddy1111 said:

Thank you for taking time and sharing the info with me in such detailed post. I truly appreciate it! You really addressed all my concerns, so now I am much more calm re my trip. :)

Regarding my seat, I am actually seated  (box 109,line 1,seat 312 - and 311 since I am attending the show with my friend - any chance you are sitting nearby? ;)). My plan is to be in front of venue approximately 2hrs before the show (6pm) to also enjoy some atmosphere outside, seeing other fans etc. I am staying at Jaz in the City Hotel, so really, really close by:) According to your post, this should be fine to get inside on time. And if there are ushers inside, it should be super easy to find our seats, very good. :)

I am not really addicted to my phone, so only planning to take maybe one picture and then, as you said,  immerse myself in the experience and enjoy it as much as possible. I can watch the tour on Bluray or streaming once it is released, but I can personally experience it only once, so I really don't plan to be focused on my phone at all. 

PS: I will be the one voguing all the time, lol

I'm actually right accross from you, box 104 seat 94 and 95, but I will wave ;-)

Maybe keep a look on what M's regular stage time will be this tour. With seated tickets there is really no need to be there early, I have done in the past and always regretted it as waiting is quite boring in your seat, it's a different energy than when you're on the floor. And M does have a tendency to be late... But of course you can walk around and look at the merch etc. By the way you have good seats to have a good overview of the show. last tip, I would focus on Madonna, these shows are sometimes super overwhelming with stuff going on everywhere, but as it's your first time to see her I would focus on M

55 minutes ago, Pretender1978 said:

I'm actually right accross from you, box 104 seat 94 and 95, but I will wave ;-)

Maybe keep a look on what M's regular stage time will be this tour. With seated tickets there is really no need to be there early, I have done in the past and always regretted it as waiting is quite boring in your seat, it's a different energy than when you're on the floor. And M does have a tendency to be late... But of course you can walk around and look at the merch etc. By the way you have good seats to have a good overview of the show. last tip, I would focus on Madonna, these shows are sometimes super overwhelming with stuff going on everywhere, but as it's your first time to see her I would focus on M

I think I won't be able to take my eyes off her, to be quite honest. After being a fan for 23 years, and now seeing her live for the first time.. Cannot even describe what kind of experience it will be! 

The rest of the show, I can enjoy later on Bluray/streaming, lol. 

Btw thank you for confirming that my seats are good. The venue looked quite big on the screen when I was buying tickets, so was worried for a moment I might be too far away, but then I checked some real pictures of that venue from the inside, and the view looked amazing, so looking forward to experience the show. 

PS: I will definitely remember your seats - box 104 seat 94 and 95 - and wave like crazy, too. I really appreciate your posts, you cannot imagine how you put away all my worries by writing these two posts here. 

Unless you have a ticket where first come first serve, then showing up early isn't necessary.  I have a feeling Madonna is going to be more prompt on this tour.  I feel that with the bad publicity of her lateness in the past has caused hesitation for many.  So I believe she's going to make an effort to be on time and not cancel any more dates if she can help it. 

But you may want to show up early to buy merchandise or hang out and just experience the atmosphere if not meet new fans.   I prefer not to buy merchandise at the venue.  It's just a pain in the ass to carry around and keep an eye on during the show.  Even the tour program is a pain because it's easy to get damaged if you have to hold onto it for any length of time.

Being your show is in December, she would have shown already signs if she's consistently going to be late.  If that is the case, then I wouldn't show up until actual show time.  In fact, during the Rebel Heart Tour she was constantly late, I actually showed up at 9:30 when the show was to start at 8 pm. By that point, she was not stepping on stage until 10 pm, the earliest. She also had an opening act, so I knew at the least I would miss that which I wasn't interested in.

I agree not to get too wrapped up in taking pics or film the show.  The times I filmed certain songs I wanted, ended up being not as enjoyable because I was too concerned in keeping the camera steady and having enough battery life. At the end of the day, it never was the best quality anyway.  Just go and enjoy in person. There will be plenty of people filming and uploading it to the internet to enjoy those shows later.  I'm betting nearly every show will have at least one person who filmed a good portion of the show in good quality. 

Being there two hours before the show, (which most likely won't start at 8:30) isn't necessary, but I also get why you might as you don't want to take the chance to miss anything.  Also, as I mentioned, you might want to show up early to meet with fans.  Also, there is always a chance if you are there early that your seats could be upgraded if there is a section much closer that needs to be filled in. That happened to me a couple of times as well. 

5 minutes ago, McDonna said:

Unless you have a ticket where first come first serve, then showing up early isn't necessary.  I have a feeling Madonna is going to be more prompt on this tour. 

I definitely think Madonna will be punctual this time.... they will probably wait for everyone to be in their seats, which takes some time, so the show can start. I don't expect the shows to be more than 30 minutes "late", which is perfectly normal for big productions.

4 minutes ago, androiduser said:

I definitely think Madonna will be punctual this time.... they will probably wait for everyone to be in their seats, which takes some time, so the show can start. I don't expect the shows to be more than 30 minutes "late", which is perfectly normal for big productions.

Yeah, I have a feeling, at the most she will just be about the typical lateness from artists which is 15 to 30 mins at the most.  But again, I'm sure most of us will be paying attention and will be adjusting when we show up based on her consistent start times.

1 hour ago, McDonna said:

Yeah, I have a feeling, at the most she will just be about the typical lateness from artists which is 15 to 30 mins at the most.  But again, I'm sure most of us will be paying attention and will be adjusting when we show up based on her consistent start times.

I will play it safe, I don't want her to go crazy and show up right on time for my show :laughing:

5 minutes ago, androiduser said:

I will play it safe, I don't want her to go crazy and show up right on time for my show :laughing:

I'll be playing it by ear.  I have no interest in Bob the DJ, so if he's truly opening the show, then I'll probably show up at the end of his act.  Otherwise, I'll plan accordingly to how consistent she has been so far on the tour.

15 hours ago, maddy1111 said:

Btw thank you for confirming that my seats are good. The venue looked quite big on the screen when I was buying tickets, so was worried for a moment I might be too far away, but then I checked some real pictures of that venue from the inside, and the view looked amazing, so looking forward to experience the show.

I saw Rebel heart from the boxes facing the stage, though the furthest away from the stage your still have a really good view. There is always a feeling of distance when you're seated, but that's the price we pay for convenience. But from your seat you are slightly closer to the main stage while still having quite a good view of the whole production, it is also much closer to the B stage.

If you do decide to come early and buy merch before the show it might be good to know that the venue has lockers inside, so you could always go back to store your stuff safely during the concert.

Lol, they've made these things so consumer friendly that sometimes I long for the days when you would cue up for over 12 hours, be totally sweaty and stinky at show time and had to fight through all the exhaustion and pain in your body when M is screaming in front of you and ordering you to dance. These days I can blowdry my hair, take the subway and look fabulous and still be fresh the next day :lol:

1 hour ago, Pretender1978 said:

I saw Rebel heart from the boxes facing the stage, though the furthest away from the stage your still have a really good view. There is always a feeling of distance when you're seated, but that's the price we pay for convenience. But from your seat you are slightly closer to the main stage while still having quite a good view of the whole production, it is also much closer to the B stage.

If you do decide to come early and buy merch before the show it might be good to know that the venue has lockers inside, so you could always go back to store your stuff safely during the concert.

Lol, they've made these things so consumer friendly that sometimes I long for the days when you would cue up for over 12 hours, be totally sweaty and stinky at show time and had to fight through all the exhaustion and pain in your body when M is screaming in front of you and ordering you to dance. These days I can blowdry my hair, take the subway and look fabulous and still be fresh the next day :lol:

Not when you get home at 11am because you had to walk home after all the public transportation closed down by the time the show starts.

First of all: How great for you to finally get to see Madonna live! I feel a special electricity in the air when she's on stage.

Now, du your future self a huge favor, and use ear plugs. You'll hear everything well, without damaging your ears.

I was stupid when I was young and am now cursed with tinnitus. NO fun.

Apart from that, since you're seated, no need to be there hours before the show. And try to leave when she sings the encore. That way, you'll get out of the arena quicker and easier than if you wait until the show is over and thousands of people try to get out at the same time.

Last, but not least: Enjoy yourself!

27 minutes ago, Celebration said:

And try to leave when she sings the encore. That way, you'll get out of the arena quicker and easier than if you wait until the show is over and thousands of people try to get out at the same time.

I always do this at concerts or even small theatre shows :laughing: Just did it tonight actually 

42 minutes ago, Celebration said:

First of all: How great for you to finally get to see Madonna live! I feel a special electricity in the air when she's on stage.

Now, du your future self a huge favor, and use ear plugs. You'll hear everything well, without damaging your ears.

I was stupid when I was young and am now cursed with tinnitus. NO fun.

Apart from that, since you're seated, no need to be there hours before the show. And try to leave when she sings the encore. That way, you'll get out of the arena quicker and easier than if you wait until the show is over and thousands of people try to get out at the same time.

Last, but not least: Enjoy yourself!

That's logical advice but since it's gonna be the first time for me seeing her, I guess I won't be able to take my eyes off her, so every second counts when she is on stage. 

My hotel is literally like 10 steps from venue, so there is really no rush to get out asap and miss any millisecond of show :)

1 minute ago, maddy1111 said:

That's logical advice but since it's gonna be the first time for me seeing her, I guess I won't be able to take my eyes off her, so every second counts when she is on stage. 

My hotel is literally like 10 steps from venue, so there is really no rush to get out asap and miss any millisecond of show :)

Seeming as it’s your first concert you probably will not mind waiting to get out!

Im very excited for you by the way! My first concert was Kylie Minogue when I was 7 years old!